Around the League: Week 14 (1/17 to 1/23)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Around the League: Week 14 (1/17 to 1/23)

Post by ShelC »

Nationally Televised Games
Monday, Jan. 17th
Chicago Bulls vs. Memphis Grizzlies, 3:30 p.m. on TNT
Milwaukee Bucks vs. Atlanta Hawks, 6:00 p.m. on TNT

Wednesday, Jan. 19th
Charlotte Hornets vs. Boston Celtics, 7:30 p.m. on ESPN
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Denver Nuggets, 10:00 p.m. on ESPN

Thursday, Jan. 20th
New Orleans Pelicans vs. New York Knicks, 7:30 p.m. on TNT
Phoenix Suns vs. Dallas Mavericks, 10:00 p.m. on TNT

Friday, Jan. 21st
Toronto Raptors vs. Washington Wizards , 8:00 p.m. on ESPN

League News
Indiana Pacers' Myles Turner has stress fracture in foot, expected to be out beyond trade deadline, sources say
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/330 ... ources-say

Sources: LA Clippers extending Paul George's period of rest a few more weeks to see how elbow responds
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/330 ... w-responds

NBA Mailbag: What's next for Ben Simmons and Kyrie Irving?
https://www.nba.com/news/nba-mailbag-wh ... rie-irving

Sources: ‘No current plans’ to replace Frank Vogel, but Kurt Rambis makes voice heard
https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/s ... urt-rambis

Shabazz

Re: Around the League: Week 14 (1/17 to 1/23)

Post by Shabazz »

Kuminga's going to be really good.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:43 pm
someone explain this to me

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Boston gets closer to the tax. Denver gets shooting. Spurs like Juancho?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:52 pm
Boston gets closer to the tax. Denver gets shooting. Spurs like Juancho?
I guess I didn't realize how awful Rivers has been, and the Spurs part was throwing me.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Merry-go-round of guys barely hanging on in the league or are injured, or both. Celtics get a little cap space. Is Pop a Euro whisperer?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Denver just needs bodies to hold them over until Murray comes back. Forbes isn’t really a playable guy in the postseason.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Lol @ Nekias

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Stephen A is an idiot…doesn’t know whether he’d rather have last years finals mvp or a young pg who’s never won a playoff series? Just a case of making a ridiculous claim so it makes its way around the interwebs

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

But "Giannis is Giannis", so there's that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

FYI, this is satire.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... ker-greats

Kurt Rambis is just in charge of the Lakers now, I guess
The scene-stealing star of the Frank Vogel news cycle has actually been Lakers senior basketball advisor Kurt Rambis, who announced plans to clone Laker greats and add them to the team for the 2nd half of the season to virtually guarantee a title back in LA

By Harrison Faigen @hmfaigen Updated Jan 19, 2022, 11:38am PST 63 Comments
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

In “leaks so funny I could not possibly make them up,” Lakers senior basketball advisor Kurt Rambis has inserted himself into the Frank Vogel hot seat saga in the most hilarious ways imaginable.

It’s been long known that Rambis wields more power in the Lakers’ front office than his “senior basketball advisor” title would suggest, but I will admit that even I had no idea he was this prominent of a voice until today.

First, Bill Oram and Sam Amick of The Athletic reported that Rambis had basically threatened the jobs of everyone on the coaching staff if things didn’t get better for the team (emphasis mine):

The coaching staff has been well aware that it faced significant pressure for months. Sources say that was made clear to the staff early on this season by Kurt Rambis, the former Laker and current director of basketball affairs who has become one of the most influential members of the organization since returning to the franchise in 2017.

Yet not long after Rambis relayed the word that they were all at risk of being replaced if things did not improve, COVID complications made it nearly impossible for the Lakers to continue evaluating Vogel because, among other reasons, he wasn’t there. He entered the league’s health and safety protocols on Dec. 19 and didn’t return until Dec. 31.

That, in and of itself, didn’t raise that many eyebrows. Again, it was well known that Rambis was involved, even if it was a little surprising that he was feeling powerful enough to threaten the jobs of the entire coaching staff.

But then, a few hours later, Dan Woike and Brad Turner of The Los Angeles Times reported that not only is Rambis powerful enough to browbeat the coaching staff, but he’s also been empowered to sit in on their meetings and make suggestions when he doesn’t like how things are going.

And last week, he had an idea that I’m sure Lakers fans are just going to love (again, emphasis mine):

BREAKING: Sources are reporting, "The Lakers are in high level talks to clone and immediately sign prime Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson & Kareem".
Spoiler: show/hide
Last edited by In2ition on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

All jokes aside, I did see something saying Rambis suggested playing lineups with Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan together…if that wasn’t a joke as well, how the heck does this guy have a role in an nba front office? That’s like Shaq not understanding the game today…it’s worse because Rambis is being paid by a team to understand today’s game…and not just any team, the leagues most popular team. I’d fire him for making that suggestion.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:51 pm
All jokes aside, I did see something saying Rambis suggested playing lineups with Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan together…if that wasn’t a joke as well, how the heck does this guy have a role in an nba front office? That’s like Shaq not understanding the game today…it’s worse because Rambis is being paid by a team to understand today’s game…and not just any team, the leagues most popular team. I’d fire him for making that suggestion.
Yes, I used a real article that I added my own artistic license to create satire. But you are right. Rambis is definitely suggesting it and it looks like his family has gained control over the Lakers.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
His wife is best buds with Jeanie Buss.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well I feel pretty good about the Lakers struggling to contend if he’s staying around as a powerful voice in that front office

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:55 pm
Split T wrote:
His wife is best buds with Jeanie Buss.
That's always been known as the path to NBA championships.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just watched the Jazz lose at home to the Rockets. Yeah, Spider didn’t play but still…
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Jazz and Grizzlies both have 7 more losses than the Suns!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

With Green hurt right now as well, I think the suns might put some distance between themselves and the 2 seed. Already up 3 games in the loss column. If Green misses a couple weeks we might find ourselves with a 5 or 6 game cushion.