Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Split T

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:13 am
I have not read the last few pages of this thread, but I just wanted to drop in to mention what the wife and I are watching. We're currently in the middle of Stranger Things season 4. She likes it more than I do. I think this was a season-1 show, kind of like Westworld, where the show really never matches the excellence of its first awesome debut season. Season 4 isn't overtly bad but it feels mediocre and unnecessary to me.
How far are you into season 4?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:13 am
We also recently watched a sci-fi show on HBO called Raised by Wolves. It was interesting but kind of bumpy in its storytelling. We got through Season 1, but we just learned that HBO has cancelled it and that Season 2 is the last one unless it gets picked up by another network. So we won't watch S2 unless the show gets picked up and has more of a future.
This was a really interesting sci fi for me. It kept my interest through season 2. Sad to hear it's been cancelled.

Speaking of sci fis, I rewatched Ex Machina last night and I really like that movie. It was just as enjoyable on the second viewing for me even though I knew what was going to happen. From the house, to the cinematography, to the dialog/acting, everything was top notch for me.

I just started watching Dark Winds on AMC which is interesting and beautifully shot in New Mexico and I enjoyed the first episode. Also recorded, and will probably watch today, the first two episodes of The Old Man on FX as it looks interesting.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:49 am
Season 1 sucked. The entire premise was stupid and based on "history" that never happened. And the writing was just bad, which doesn't make sense when you have such a good author at the core.
I'm more forgiving than you. I didn't hate it and I'm not personally worried about ST canon. But I did enjoy S2 significantly more. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
When I say 'history' I didn't mean 'canon.' I don't care if they change the ships or technology or whatever. And yeah the super secret Romulan spy stuff (ALL ROMULANS ARE SUPER SECRET SPIES) was annoying (and the brother/sister characters were way too over the top), but for the entire premise of the show built around this super close relationship between Picard and Data just wasn't there--ever. If you were going to lean on an old super close relationship between Picard and someone else, you are kind of screwed. I mean that was one of the key things about TNG is that Picard kept his distance as their leader. He was probably closest to Riker or Beverly. Data wouldn't have considered Picard his close friend either. It was just bad story telling.

I will get to Season 2 but it will probably be a while since I have Lower Decks and Disco 4 and SNW to watch first.

Oh, and this is coming from a guy that was super excited for Picard.
I know, two and a half pages late to the conversation so sue me. I would go with Beverly for sure. Her husband was Picard’s best friend before dying. Picard has always looked out for her and they have always had a close relationship that even hinted at sexuality at times.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Agreed, Beverly is the right choice based on TNG. Or make it be about Geordi needing Picard's help to do something related to Data. But Picard being tortured because he misses his life-long friend Data is so weird.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, I finished the first season of Barry and watched the first episode of season 2. Great stuff.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Everything Everywhere All At Once. Won't tell you anything other than go into it knowing nothing, watching no trailers. Total mind fuck. Great action, lots of very R rated comedy and a tear jerker near the end. But a total mind fuck.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:38 am
Everything Everywhere All At Once. Won't tell you anything other than go into it knowing nothing, watching no trailers. Total mind fuck. Great action, lots of very R rated comedy and a tear jerker near the end. But a total mind fuck.
You've got me interested!
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:23 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Bought it on AppleTV for $19.99. Available on other digital storefronts as well. Let me know what you think. Be prepared for a lot of "are you fucking kidding me right now" moments.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Just started "The Old Man" with Jeff Bridges on FX/Hulu. Very solid and well directed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Finally watched this season of Better Call Saul.

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I am putting it in the tag anyway.
Spoiler: show/hide
-----------------------------------

Howard has always been about 5% too much for me. But seeing his other side of life/home life and him behaving alone the same way he does with others made him way more believable for me. Patrick Fabian was really good at portraying him, even down to his speech patterns.

Definitely spoiler
Spoiler: show/hide

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:44 pm
Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Bought it on AppleTV for $19.99. Available on other digital storefronts as well. Let me know what you think. Be prepared for a lot of "are you fucking kidding me right now" moments.
Bought and watched on AppleTV with my son last night. We loved it. Very imaginative and great filmmaking. BTW, do we actually own it? It's cool how it acts like a Blu-ray with special features and director's commentary options.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:12 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Bought and watched on AppleTV with my son last night. We loved it. Very imaginative and great filmmaking. BTW, do we actually own it? It's cool how it acts like a Blu-ray with special features and director's commentary options.
It should remain a permanent fixture in your library until AppleTV no longer exists, I'd imagine, as it's a widespread digital release now and not just at theaters. I think it had a run in theaters for about a month before becoming a digital release.

I'm glad you enjoyed the imagined absurdity of it all. It's been described as finding happiness in the face of nihilism and I can totally see that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:41 pm
Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
It should remain a permanent fixture in your library until AppleTV no longer exists, I'd imagine, as it's a widespread digital release now and not just at theaters. I think it had a run in theaters for about a month before becoming a digital release.

I'm glad you enjoyed the imagined absurdity of it all. It's been described as finding happiness in the face of nihilism and I can totally see that.
It's definitely one of those movies I'll watch again to pick up on things I missed the first time around. Also, to just enjoy the pure spectacle.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:15 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:

It's definitely one of those movies I'll watch again to pick up on things I missed the first time around. Also, to just enjoy the pure spectacle.
What scene or two really stood out to you in a WTF kind of way? You can put it in spoilers for everyone else to avoid knowing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:15 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

What scene or two really stood out to you in a WTF kind of way? You can put it in spoilers for everyone else to avoid knowing.
► Show Spoiler
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I saw both Bullet Train and Prey. I really enjoyed both, for different reasons, as they are totally different movies.

Also, started watching and almost finished with Black Bird. This is also very good, imo.

I recommend all of these.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If you have Showtime or the means to get it, I can't recommend NYC Point Gods enough.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

House of the Dragon: Tits, Gore & Dragons. It's like 2012 all over again!
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not getting roped into that again.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:57 am
I am not getting roped into that again.
I never got roped in in the first place.
"Be Legendary."