Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Post by JeremyG »

Al McCoy on Bickley & Marotta this morning, before the Sarver news dropped: https://omny.fm/shows/bickley-marotta/a ... dcaster-13

Check out my new sig! :D
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:29 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:03 pm
Flex is 99% certain that Jae either will or won't be traded.
What's the other 1%? :P
He could retire.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:29 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:03 pm
Flex is 99% certain that Jae either will or won't be traded.
What's the other 1%? :P
A quantum singularity in which Jae is neither traded nor untraded. FLEX has to cover all possibilities.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We wanted him but weren’t even offering a 1st and if we were, it was probably heavily protected and turned into 2 2nds if it didn’t confer this year.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hard to offer a first for an expiring player that makes you significantly worse on one side of the ball, at a position that you are getting ready to pay Cam Johnson a lot of money to play, and still have an ownership fiasco in the works.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep I don’t blame them. I would have been dissapointed if we moved Crowder and a 1st for him. I wanted it to be Crowder to a 3rd team, 1st to Utah, Bojan to us.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, does Crowder make it to media day?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m really hoping we can get back into the Crowder for Barnes discussions. I think it makes sense for both teams. We’d have to include an additional asset, but Kings problems are more defense at this point and I think Crowder gives them more of a presence than Barnes. We need a more versatile wing and that’s Barnes.

Unless for whatever reason we think Durant is still an option, I’d move Crowder and our 1st for Barnes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That would be pretty cruel to do to Crowder and break his playoff streak.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:52 am
I’m really hoping we can get back into the Crowder for Barnes discussions. I think it makes sense for both teams. We’d have to include an additional asset, but Kings problems are more defense at this point and I think Crowder gives them more of a presence than Barnes. We need a more versatile wing and that’s Barnes.

Unless for whatever reason we think Durant is still an option, I’d move Crowder and our 1st for Barnes.
I wouldn't mind that deal. I'm not really sure what to make of these various potential forwards who have been mentioned as possible trade acquisitions for us. I like Barnes, but what about Cam Johnson? Would Barnes start and CamJ come off the bench? Aren't we about to give CamJ a big contract? Then what? Should we be searching for more of a backup, lower-priced forward? Or is that Torrey Craig?

Split T

Post by Split T »

The way I see it, we had 3 starter level wings last year in Mikal, CamJ, and Crowder. All are very good players, even great, but none of them were good at creating their own shot or getting to the rim. We absolutely need one of them to be able to do that and trading for someone who can is the most likely way. I don’t know who would start, besides Bridges who would take 1 spot, but I do recall a story about Barnes awhile back saying he was happy to do whatever was in the best interest of the team. He’d be happy to come off the bench on a contender. They could all easily get 30+ minutes and you just keep the 2 that are playing the best on the court to finish the game.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:21 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:52 am

I wouldn't mind that deal. I'm not really sure what to make of these various potential forwards who have been mentioned as possible trade acquisitions for us. I like Barnes, but what about Cam Johnson? Would Barnes start and CamJ come off the bench? Aren't we about to give CamJ a big contract? Then what? Should we be searching for more of a backup, lower-priced forward? Or is that Torrey Craig?
That's where I'm confused a bit too and I'm wondering if we're backing ourselves into a corner with CamJ. We love Mikal and Cam and want them to be core pieces, but they're both SFs. CamJ can play PF most of the time in today's game, but I think he puts a ceiling on us in the starting lineup because of his size, not to mention the fact that he's another guy not great at creating offense.

I don't doubt we told Jae that we're looking to move CamJ into the starting lineup. He probably didn't take it well as he's in a contract year and maybe asked out. But I think, if we're locking in CamJ and putting him in the starting lineup, Jae is probably ideal coming off the bench in his role. I don't think Craig is reliable enough to count on every night, but Jae (or a Jae type) is what we'd need if we're starting Cam.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Crowder is a great fit because we need a guy who does the dirty work on the defensive end. It's just that with him and Bridges both not being able to create their own shot it puts a lot of pressure on Booker and Paul to do it for everybody.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:30 pm
Crowder is a great fit because we need a guy who does the dirty work on the defensive end. It's just that with him and Bridges both not being able to create their own shot it puts a lot of pressure on Booker and Paul to do it for everybody.
Yep, but that’s why I like Barnes. He may not be the dirt worker that Jae is, but he’s a good defensive player that has size and brings a little on ball ability. Not to mention he’s a very good shooter. He’s a career 38% shooter from 3 and has been at 40, 38, 39, and 39 the last 4 years. He’s had an elite TS% above .620 each of the last two years. He’s been as high as 3.5 assists per game and has been over 2 each of the last 3 years. He shoots a high percentage and actually gets to the ft line as well. He took 5.4 a game last year which is more than anyone on our team and his free throw rate was essentially double that of any regular player on our team.

I’d still want to upgrade the backup guard spot, but upgrading from Crowder to Barnes could actually go a long ways. Assuming at least small steps forward from our young core(Booker, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton) and CP3 just not falling off a cliff, I think we’d still keep title hopes alive by making this move.

Crowder/Craig/2023 1st for Barnes, let’s get it done!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Crowders defense is overrated IMO.

He’s good, but he’s not a shut down guy and his deficits elsewhere (rebounding, shooting consistently, playmaking) make him easily replaceable.

Would much rather roll with Cam J for shooting and someone that can provide the things Jae lacked as his counterpart.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:26 am

We wanted him but weren’t even offering a 1st and if we were, it was probably heavily protected and turned into 2 2nds if it didn’t confer this year.
Good to see the Suns seeing value on 1st rounders, even late ones, that recent trend of multiples picks going out is a recipe for disaster. Specially giving up a 1st for an expiring contract player, is not good value.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:41 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Yep, but that’s why I like Barnes. He may not be the dirt worker that Jae is, but he’s a good defensive player that has size and brings a little on ball ability. Not to mention he’s a very good shooter. He’s a career 38% shooter from 3 and has been at 40, 38, 39, and 39 the last 4 years. He’s had an elite TS% above .620 each of the last two years. He’s been as high as 3.5 assists per game and has been over 2 each of the last 3 years. He shoots a high percentage and actually gets to the ft line as well. He took 5.4 a game last year which is more than anyone on our team and his free throw rate was essentially double that of any regular player on our team.

I’d still want to upgrade the backup guard spot, but upgrading from Crowder to Barnes could actually go a long ways. Assuming at least small steps forward from our young core(Booker, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton) and CP3 just not falling off a cliff, I think we’d still keep title hopes alive by making this move.

How much would you think it would take to get Collins from Atlanta?

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

If Crowder leaves we would miss his “tough guy” persona. We don’t really have anybody else that portrays that role. If there is ever a dust up he is in the middle of it, instigating or not.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:41 pm
The Bobster wrote:

How much would you think it would take to get Collins from Atlanta?
Crowder/Shamet and 2 1sts might do the trick. Replenish Atlanta’s picks after the DeJounte trade. I think that’s a bit steep for my liking though. I just don’t see Atlanta doing it for just 1 pick though. If we had another tradeable player with value we could get it done. Saric would be the closest to that but I don’t think he’s enough. I’d definitely do Crowder/Saric/1st for Collins, but Atlanta probably needs more.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Well, more like Bridges, Crowder and Ayton are all incapable of creating their own shot.