Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:16 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:30 pm
Crowder is a great fit because we need a guy who does the dirty work on the defensive end. It's just that with him and Bridges both not being able to create their own shot it puts a lot of pressure on Booker and Paul to do it for everybody.
Well, more like Bridges, Crowder and Ayton are all incapable of creating their own shot.
But that's only because Ayton can't pass to himself!!!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:35 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:16 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Crowder is a great fit because we need a guy who does the dirty work on the defensive end. It's just that with him and Bridges both not being able to create their own shot it puts a lot of pressure on Booker and Paul to do it for everybody.
Well, more like Bridges, Crowder and Ayton are all incapable of creating their own shot.
But that's only because Ayton can't pass to himself!!!
:lol:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:41 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Yep, but that’s why I like Barnes. He may not be the dirt worker that Jae is, but he’s a good defensive player that has size and brings a little on ball ability. Not to mention he’s a very good shooter. He’s a career 38% shooter from 3 and has been at 40, 38, 39, and 39 the last 4 years. He’s had an elite TS% above .620 each of the last two years. He’s been as high as 3.5 assists per game and has been over 2 each of the last 3 years. He shoots a high percentage and actually gets to the ft line as well. He took 5.4 a game last year which is more than anyone on our team and his free throw rate was essentially double that of any regular player on our team.

I’d still want to upgrade the backup guard spot, but upgrading from Crowder to Barnes could actually go a long ways. Assuming at least small steps forward from our young core(Booker, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton) and CP3 just not falling off a cliff, I think we’d still keep title hopes alive by making this move.

Crowder/Craig/2023 1st for Barnes, let’s get it done!
I would do that move, but I still prefer a better rebounding PF. Collins is pretty good, but reportedly the Suns don't like him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t really see rebounding as an issue. Ayton is a great rebounder and there are only a couple teams that can really make us pay on the glass. Much more pressing needs. I also think rebounding is more of a choice. If we need our guys to rebound better, we should be able to adjust strategy. I would fix other problems way before rebounding.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:41 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Yep, but that’s why I like Barnes. He may not be the dirt worker that Jae is, but he’s a good defensive player that has size and brings a little on ball ability. Not to mention he’s a very good shooter. He’s a career 38% shooter from 3 and has been at 40, 38, 39, and 39 the last 4 years. He’s had an elite TS% above .620 each of the last two years. He’s been as high as 3.5 assists per game and has been over 2 each of the last 3 years. He shoots a high percentage and actually gets to the ft line as well. He took 5.4 a game last year which is more than anyone on our team and his free throw rate was essentially double that of any regular player on our team.

I’d still want to upgrade the backup guard spot, but upgrading from Crowder to Barnes could actually go a long ways. Assuming at least small steps forward from our young core(Booker, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton) and CP3 just not falling off a cliff, I think we’d still keep title hopes alive by making this move.

Crowder/Craig/2023 1st for Barnes, let’s get it done!
I would do that move, but I still prefer a better rebounding PF. Collins is pretty good, but reportedly the Suns don't like him.
Interesting, don't like the asking price, the fit, or the person?

Perhaps that was when the team was going after KD, in such case, it's easy to say no for either cause, but Collins actually checks up several boxes, and getting him for Saric and Crowder as Split says, would also solve an incoming logjam. Collins could play some stretch five to unlock Payne and given his contract and age, of course a 1st is a given, but a second one wouldn't be so bad. If Booker was able to increase his defensive effort to win, hopefully Collins would buy in also.

CP3, Booker, Bridges, Collins and Ayton. A clear upgrade to my eyes.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Hawks view themselves as Finals contenders, so they aren't going to give away Collins for a hodgepodge of role players and late first round picks.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:40 pm
The Hawks view themselves as Finals contenders, so they aren't going to give away Collins for a hodgepodge of role players and late first round picks.
They may figure Crowder is a better choice for what they want - defense, veteran leadership - and then again, you may be right and they may not be tempted by that offer in the least.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Love the new avatar, Bobster!
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:18 pm
Love the new avatar, Bobster!
Love it. Might be time to finally change mine too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

both of your avis are great!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:45 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
They may figure Crowder is a better choice for what they want - defense, veteran leadership - and then again, you may be right and they may not be tempted by that offer in the least.

That’s my hope too. The Hawks looking for veteran leadership and hopeful that some Crowder “magic” take them all the way to the finals, it’s clear they are not so in love with Collins, or he would not be on the trading block almost permanently.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:36 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:45 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

That’s my hope too. The Hawks looking for veteran leadership and hopeful that some Crowder “magic” take them all the way to the finals, it’s clear they are not so in love with Collins, or he would not be on the trading block almost permanently.
I don’t have any problem with Jae Crowder, but man, he’s not that good.

I’ll add that Collins' contract also makes it very unlikely they’d trade him for role players. It would be dumb to waste his cap hold like that unless they had bigger off-season FA plans. That’s really the only way I see it being a possibility and it would be an extremely risky move to make in the middle of a season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I heard Philly wants Jae and they’ve wanted off Harris for awhile. What about Jae/Saric/Shamet/Craig for Tobias. We take on the extra money, so no assets needed, at least I wouldn’t be willing to give any up. Would Philly do this?

Paul/Booker/Bridges/Harris/Ayton

Payne/Lee/Okogie/CamJ/Biyombo

Bench is weak and we’d need to add a bench guard, but Harris does solve some of our issues.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Is that recent that they want Jae? They just got PJ Tucker who kind of fills that role, even tho he's older. Harris would be a decent 4 here and might do better in a role with less expectations. He's just being paid a ton for someone who doesn't really impact the game IMO.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Maybe Philly doesn't love Tobias, but their roster is packed with solid role players. Putting aside his contract, they must certainly value Harris' skillset more than replicates of what they already have.

As for the Suns side, I think Tobias would fit in seamlessly. He's basically discount KD and I think Monty's system would force him into scoring opportunities more than what he's experienced with Brett Brown and Doc Rivers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I heard the Philly interest in Jae on the timeline pod. I can’t remember if it was just the timeline guys repeating what they’ve heard in the past or if it was new. They shared some info that Windhorst relayed about the suns and it might have come from thst.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Went back and checked and they weren’t relaying Windhorst info about Philly wanting Jae

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Doesn't Tobias Harris have one of the worst contracts in the league? $37.6m, two years. Not sure I would want to take that on. I bet next year he gets traded as a huge expiring contract as part of some deal to get Embiid another star helper.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s just this year and next at this point. And he’s still a very good player. Not worth 37 million, but we won’t have cap space next year anyways, so the move only hurts the pockets of whoever the owner is. I’m cool with that. He also gives us a massive expiring contract to trade next year for something else(kinda like you mentioned for Embiid) if he doesn’t work out.

Just don’t think it’s much of a risk at this point and it absolutely solves a lot of our problems. Harris is much better at creating his shot than any of our other wings. He even improves our rebounding for those who are looking for that. I think it’s a no brainer if it only costs us Crowder and contracts. I have my doubts that Philly would do that though. As mentioned earlier, they got PJ Tucker and Crowder is kinda the same player.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 am
It’s just this year and next at this point. And he’s still a very good player. Not worth 37 million, but we won’t have cap space next year anyways, so the move only hurts the pockets of whoever the owner is. I’m cool with that. He also gives us a massive expiring contract to trade next year for something else(kinda like you mentioned for Embiid) if he doesn’t work out.

Just don’t think it’s much of a risk at this point and it absolutely solves a lot of our problems. Harris is much better at creating his shot than any of our other wings. He even improves our rebounding for those who are looking for that. I think it’s a no brainer if it only costs us Crowder and contracts. I have my doubts that Philly would do that though. As mentioned earlier, they got PJ Tucker and Crowder is kinda the same player.
I’d pull it for Jae and contracts with a protected future pick. Again, our Window is closing here. I also think having an expiring max contract could be decent bait.