Suns Trade For Beal!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Suns Trade For Beal!

Post by Wally_West »

From the Windy article
With the support of owners Mat and Justin Ishbia, who have approved massive spending increases since buying the team in February, the Suns decided not to waive Paul. Instead, Paul is likely to get his entire $30 million salary, sources said, and the Suns combined it with guard Landry Shamet to take on even more money by bringing in Beal -- giving them nearly $162 million in salary committed to just four players for the 2023-24 season.

And don't expect them to stop there.

They are likely to try to re-sign free agents Torrey Craig, Josh Okogie, Damion Lee, Jock Landale, Bismack Biyombo and Terrence Ross, among others. They are almost assuredly going to keep guard Cameron Payne, who has a partially guaranteed salary. And they might even try to use a trade exception worth nearly $5 million to acquire another player (they have until February to use that exception).

The Suns were in the luxury tax this season for the first time in more than a decade, which buys them two years before they would face the so-called repeater tax that makes huge spending even more onerous.

Collected together, if there was ever a team that was going to make this Beal move, it was the Suns, and it was now.

Before the new CBA even starts, its core tenet is already being tested. And a brand new superteam is born.

So potentially looking at this right now

Book-Beal-Okogie-KD-Ayton

Payne-Ross-Lee-Craig-Biz
Jordan Goodwin, 52nd Pick, trade exception(maybe), maybe a 2nd Ishbia buys on Thursday?
Last edited by Wally_West on Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:40 am

The other option of course would be to start Booker at PG and Craig or Okogie at SF -

C Ayton, Landale, Biyombo
PF Durant
SF Craig, Okogie
SG Beal
PG Booker, Payne, Goodwin
You beat me too it with the roster speculation, but yeah. It'll go something like this. Lots of minutes for Payne since he will sub in for either guard. I think he could thrive in that situation, since he does best playing with less responsibility for shot creation.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

V1king8687 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:23 am
Bradley Freakin' BEAL!! unbelievable trade.. Never would I have imagined this deal would've gotten done without Ayton being a part of it. If Vogel can turn Ayton around (which is possible) this team might be the best offensive team in the league. I'd still like to add a rim protector (McGee?) And move Ayton to PF, Durant to SF to keep him healthier, and exploit mis-matches.
If Beal is going to be the point guard, then yes I would like to move Durant back to SF where he used to play. But I might keep Ayton at C and try to bring in a bigger PF than what we’ve had in recent years.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Booker will be the point guard before Beal I think

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

On paper Beal will be PG but all 3 will run offense and handle the ball. Maybe Book handles the ball a bit more but I don't think he'll be a full-time PG or have such a high usage like a Harden type. I also don't think we'll go with or need a traditional PG in the lineup that will push Book to SF. It'll just be a matter of running actual offense and keeping the ball moving between the Big 3.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:38 pm
I think Jones deserves a fair bit of credit for course correcting the culture post McD era. We stopped hearing the speculation about Booker potentially asking out of Phoenix once Jones got things on track by getting rid of all the bums and hiring Monty.
I absolutely agree.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:04 am
We're charged up because we traded for a $50mil go-to type of All-Star who chose us, but there's still a lot of work to be done. And if it doesn't work, we might feel some pain later on.
Especially since Beal will have us in the exact position he put Washington in.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:38 am
On paper Beal will be PG but all 3 will run offense and handle the ball. Maybe Book handles the ball a bit more but I don't think he'll be a full-time PG or have such a high usage like a Harden type. I also don't think we'll go with or need a traditional PG in the lineup that will push Book to SF.
This is what I am thinking too.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:49 pm
I wouldn’t mind someone like Dennis Schroder, who has played for Vogel before.

I would rather have a point guard like that than having a Craig or Okogie as the 5th starter at forward.
I wouldn't mind Schroder either. It feels as though we need an agitator in the rotation, someone that can get under the skin of the opposition whilst also defending at a high level. Craig plays tough and Okogie has great energy but both are quite understated and almost too nice.

Draymond Green would be the obvious choice but a guy like Schroder (albeit not a forward) would at least provide some of that edge that I think we'll need come the post season.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Listening to Lowe post right now…he’s on board with the trade. Thinks the fit is good.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Beal killed us in that 2nd half

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:46 am
It feels as though we need an agitator in the rotation, someone that can get under the skin of the opposition whilst also defending at a high level.
Who was that player that always tried to get under CP3's skin and shoved him in the back during the playoffs?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

JJ Slim wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:35 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
It feels as though we need an agitator in the rotation, someone that can get under the skin of the opposition whilst also defending at a high level.
Who was that player that always tried to get under CP3's skin and shoved him in the back during the playoffs?
Pat Beverley. And absolutely no to him ever being a Sun.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:41 am
ShelC wrote:
We're charged up because we traded for a $50mil go-to type of All-Star who chose us, but there's still a lot of work to be done. And if it doesn't work, we might feel some pain later on.
Who cares? We were literally trying to waive Paul and Shamet anyway.

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:38 am
JJ Slim wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:35 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Pat Beverley. And absolutely no to him ever being a Sun.
That's the one. Maybe not him but that is the type of roll player we need

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:40 am
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Not really the point, Jeremy.

Who cares if things go south and Bradley Beal forces the Suns to make a trade like the one Washington just did? I care.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:55 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:40 am
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Not really the point, Jeremy.

Who cares if things go south and Bradley Beal forces the Suns to make a trade like the one Washington just did? I care.
If we eventually need to move off of his contract, and we can’t get anything in return except expiring contracts, that’s fine because we didn’t give up anything to begin with. I’m much more concerned about Durant.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m just focused on the now. I want a championship in the next 3 years. We’ve got our big 3 locked up for those 3 years