2024 Presidential race

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: 2024 Presidential race

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:09 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:22 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:42 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:34 am
Do you think everyone from a small town is an uneducated rube? Do you think that their vote should even count, or are you disgusted that they are even allowed to vote? Tell us your honest opinion, because your post really points in that direction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Haha, everyone knows Wikipedia isn't a reputable site for a source. ;)
Any time I want to find out about something I don’t know about, Wikipedia is my source. Is there anything Maga does find credible aside from random people posting on X?
And here I thought the wink would give it away. Smh
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I didn’t buy the wink thing.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:21 am
I didn’t buy the wink thing.
I'm trying to keep it light here. It's not good to take everything personal and respond defensively.

Besides, Mori knows as a teacher, that they don't allow Wikipedia to be used as a source in school, because it's considered to be one of the most unreliable sources around. I was kidding with Mori, because I don't disagree with it being used in this instance. Was it a strawman? You probably could definitely argue that. I try not to do that, but it is a regular practice on this forum by a number of members.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Besides, Mori knows as a teacher, that they don't allow Wikipedia to be used as a source in school, because it's considered to be one of the most unreliable sources around.
I wasn't an English teacher, so citing sources was not of much concern to me and my students. But my understanding is that Wikipedia is not considered an acceptable "primary" source; instead, a good Wikipedia article should cite ITS sources, and you can in turn point to those same sources in citations. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone (unless the given page is locked), so its own non-citation content should not be assumed to be perfect unless supported by citations from other primary sources.

That is not the same thing as saying that Wikipedia is complete BS or always incorrect or inherently untrustworthy.

I do think it's interesting that some folks happily assume that anything any random fool posts on TwitterX is true, but look at Wikipedia pages with lots of revision and source citation and assume they are fake/bogus/lies.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That would be a weird assumption. Of course, nothing is perfect.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

99% of the time I go to Wikipedia is when I hear a weird word or phrase I don’t know and I just want the meat and potatoes version of what it means. It’s almost never a political thing I need to be suspect of.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I suppose you could look up woke and have an argument about it’s accuracy or ask who won the civil war.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A lot of Wikipedia's content is uncontroversial stuff, and wiki generally has good fact-based helpful information backed by reliable sources. I don't often go to Wikipedia for politics and contentious things because I don't want to deal with topics that have people with vested interests and biases trying to insert those into the content. But if I want to read about what a Phillips head screwdriver is or a cirrus cloud is or how many people live in Argentina, I don't think there's anything wrong with reading about that on Wikipedia.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is it in a nutshell. He nailed it with Trump is a whiner and always plays the victim.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JoBmfC8AOuA? ... cUDlTn4xX_
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ron DeSantis drops out of the Presidential race; endorses Trump. Bye, Felicia.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, I'm surprised after he beat Haley. Easy out. Not much fight from the high-healed boots man.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Fun thread loling at all the articles hyping up Ron only to see him fall on his face.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I laughed.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just saw Barbie.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is interesting; using AI to fake a candidate's voice to try to fool voters. I do think we'll see more of this in 2024 than in past elections. It's too easy to make fake audio and video and try to make it go viral.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wasn't a guy found guilty of election interference when he made a meme that said the election day was on the wrong day?

This seems to be the same thing. On the other hand, is Biden even on the Primary? Is there a primary for Biden? I thought he was already the nominee and Dems aren't having a primary for President.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is random. Pretty good impressions of several major politicians.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He’s very good.x

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Really interesting numbers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's not that interesting. It's pretty boring actually. Since NH allows Dems to vote in the Reps primary, Haley's numbers were greatly propped up with Dems voting for her. It's pretty elementary, imo.