Suns hire Mike Budenholzer as head coach

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns hire Mike Budenholzer as head coach

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:16 am
I just found out that Budenholzer was fired right after his brother died in a car crash during the Bucks’ series loss. That is crazy, how did I not hear about this?
First I've heard of this as well.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bud helped the Bucks win their first championship in 50 years since they were a fledgling franchise with a young Lew Alcindor. It would be cool if he could help the Suns get their first ever.

From the Athletic article:
There’s a storybook element to this. Budenholzer grew up in Holbrook, Ariz., a town of about 5,000 located three hours northeast of Phoenix. A Suns fan, he listened to famed broadcaster Al McCoy call games on the radio and practiced the moves of Suns players in his backyard. Since he’s reached the NBA, Budenholzer has been connected to the Phoenix franchise for years.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:17 am
JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:16 am
I just found out that Budenholzer was fired right after his brother died in a car crash during the Bucks’ series loss. That is crazy, how did I not hear about this?
First I've heard of this as well.
https://nypost.com/2023/04/30/mike-bude ... ks-series/
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 am
Bud helped the Bucks win their first championship in 50 years since they were a fledgling franchise with a young Lew Alcindor. It would be cool if he could help the Suns get their first ever.

There’s a storybook element to this. Budenholzer grew up in Holbrook, Ariz., a town of about 5,000 located three hours northeast of Phoenix. A Suns fan, he listened to famed broadcaster Al McCoy call games on the radio and practiced the moves of Suns players in his backyard. Since he’s reached the NBA, Budenholzer has been connected to the Phoenix franchise for years.
The franchise was already a year old when he was born and he was only 3 years old when Al started calling the games.

I remember talk about hiring him way back when he was an assistant for Pop. Does anyone know how far back that goes? When did we first interview him? Was it after D’Antoni or Porter??

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Did we interview Bud last year when we hired Vogel?

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:28 am
Superbone wrote:

The franchise was already a year old when he was born and he was only 3 years old when Al started calling the games.

I remember talk about hiring him way back when he was an assistant for Pop. Does anyone know how far back that goes? When did we first interview him? Was it after D’Antoni or Porter??
I only remember us getting excited about him when he interviewed before taking the Bucks job…probably when we hired Igor I’d think? I don’t remember talking to him as far back as D’Antoni or Porter

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:59 am
I don't believe he had any interviews last off season due to his brothers death.
Last edited by TOO on Fri May 10, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:59 am
No, there was talk about him but Gambo quickly shot down the Suns having any interest.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:04 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I only remember us getting excited about him when he interviewed before taking the Bucks job…probably when we hired Igor I’d think? I don’t remember talking to him as far back as D’Antoni or Porter
I was thinking it was 2019 that he removed himself from consideration for the Suns job but it was 2018 when we hired Igor. I know there was at least talk among the fanbase about him prior to that, though, when he was with the Spurs. (So 2013 or earlier.)

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:04 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Found it! https://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=3426549 We actually did interview him for the head coaching job after D’Antoni way back in 2008! I thought that’s when it was, but I didn’t quite trust my memory since that seemed like way too long ago (5 years before he finally got a head coaching job).
Budenholzer wasn't available to be interviewed until the Spurs were eliminated by the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference finals.

"Mike was fantastic," Kerr said. "I played for him in San Antonio for four years. He's been there for 12. He came in really, really well-prepared. He had a great vision for our future and our team, and it didn't surprise me. It's the reason we brought him in."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kinda forgot Kerr hired Porter…he kinda sucked as a GM

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ishbia's got the money and doesn't mind spending it. Good for him.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Davin Ham will likely be on our staff.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:52 pm
Sounds good to me. Plus, I haven't eaten lunch yet.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

FYI:
Just a friendly heads up going forward. Budenholzer (BUD-en-holez-er) BUD...not Bude. Just lookin out my friend. I won't stop smiling for days, seriously. Known the guy for years. So cool.
Also, apparently Bud clashed with Sarver (who doesn't?) last time he interviewed for the job.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:12 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Don't drive hangry!
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:12 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Don't drive hangry!
It's OK. I'm home. Still have to practice and do my leg workout as it's leg day. THEN I can eat. Pulling some ham out of the freezer though now.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And I’m not kidding.

"Be Legendary."