Environment and climate change

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Environment and climate change

Post by In2ition »

I would be a climate doom and gloomer if at least one of the predictions ever came true, but we are 60+ years in since the predictions came and not a single one has. If the seas were going to rise, the insurance companies wouldn't insure homes built near the coast and the climate change fear mongers wouldn't buy those homes. How many times do they need to be wrong, before we claim the boy cried wolf?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

You've evidently never been to Miami.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This just started happening in Miami? Have people stopped building homes in Miami?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Insurance companies leaving Florida because of the increased hurricane threat.

Farmers Insurance pulls out of Florida, affecting 100,000 policyholders
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/12/business ... index.html
The company is the fourth major insurer to leave the Florida market in the past year, with most citing the risk from hurricanes.

Farmers Insurance is now among Bankers Insurance, Centauri Insurance and Lexington Insurance, a subsidiary of AIG, in withdrawing from the Florida market since last year.
https://www.pnj.com/story/money/2023/07 ... 407302007/#

Can lawmakers save the collapsing Florida home insurance market?
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/home ... ce-crisis/

Florida Insurance Crisis Explained: Why Multiple Insurers Are Leaving State
https://www.newsweek.com/florida-insura ... ed-1812418

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:35 am
I would be a climate doom and gloomer if at least one of the predictions ever came true, but we are 60+ years in since the predictions came and not a single one has. If the seas were going to rise, the insurance companies wouldn't insure homes built near the coast and the climate change fear mongers wouldn't buy those homes. How many times do they need to be wrong, before we claim the boy cried wolf?
I'm too tired to have a lengthy back-and-forth about this, but, many climate science predictions have come true, and many of the measurements today are actually *worse* than predicted. But I guess if the Truth Ninja Ape doesn't tweet it, it didn't happen.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:44 am
This just started happening in Miami? Have people stopped building homes in Miami?
You're a big boy and say you know how to research... Look it up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
I guess you haven't heard that State Farm is no longer taking on new homeowners insurance in California.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:52 am
In2ition wrote:
I guess you haven't heard that State Farm is no longer taking on new homeowners insurance in California.
Oh that's all just a farce and a scheme cooked up by the liberal insurance companies to bilk millions... I'm sure that's Truth Ninja's hot take.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

All orchestrated by Biden himself when he’s not fondling little children before eating them in a pizza shop.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:55 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:52 am
In2ition wrote:
Oh that's all just a farce and a scheme cooked up by the liberal insurance companies to bilk millions... I'm sure that's Truth Ninja's hot take.
Yeah, climate alarmists are the biggest grifters around. How much has Al Gore bilked the world with his grift?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have no idea. I haven’t heard him mentioned in a long time.

The only grift I see is endless Trump messages begging me for money just about every day on my phone. I don’t want his golden sneakers, his special Bible, his extra special water, his bobble head or any other grift he has going on. Maybe Trump could start his own grifter tv channel late at night where he peddles his wares. That Gore guy. Now he’s the real grifter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see very many people getting rich off of climate change panic. Some companies are making money by selling new environmental solutions like solar panels, electric cars, etc., but that's just business. People want those products, and companies selling them are making money. I don't see anything nefarious about that; isn't that the free market that some folks love so much?

If you want to talk about climate change and money, climate change is going to destroy a large portion of the world's wealth. We and other nations are going to spend trillions of dollars mitigating and fighting back and repairing damage caused by climate change.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Living on the coast in the Florida area is like playing Russian roulette every year.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Since there is 193,000 miles of ocean coast line, I'm sure it's happening all over the world. I don't think Manhattan was very high above the ocean levels, iirc.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We are talking Hurricanes. Certain places are more prone to hurricanes than others. Maine isn’t. Florida is. The water rising everywhere is a different thing. That’s ice melting.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought this was cool.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's awesome!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

New preseason hurricane forecast is highest ever issued. Brace yourself, Florida
https://www.yahoo.com/news/brace-yourse ... 02922.html