World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: World Politics

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. It sounds like the President of Iran has been killed in a helicopter crash. Unclear if it was an accident or some kind of attack. There was a thick fog.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Last I heard was they were blaming the US for the sanctions that deprived Iran of the parts needed to keep the helicopter safely flying in the air and that’s why it crashed. I saw that it was hilly and there was a thick fog at the time. Israel says it had nothing to do with it. My official guess at this time is bad weather. That is boring and in todays world there has to be at least 5-6 other conspiracy theories that will surface in the next couple of days. Space lasers or something.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What we know so far about the helicopter crash that killed Iran’s president and others
https://apnews.com/article/helicopter-i ... 71b115923f
BEIRUT (AP) — The helicopter crash that killed Iran’s president and foreign minister has sent shock waves around the region.

Iranian state media on Monday said that President Ebrahim Raisi, the country’s foreign minister, Hossein Amirabdollahian, and others had been found dead after an hourslong search through a foggy, mountainous region of the country’s northwest. State TV gave no immediate cause for the crash.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All I know is that Biden did it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:40 am
All I know is that Biden did it.
You forgot to add siren emojis to make it legit looking.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Who is claiming Biden did it?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Iran was claiming the US sanctions caused the crash. That’s sort of like blaming Biden. They haven’t given an official cause for the accident. The blaming the sanctions sounds like a knee jerk reaction.

Iran has also reached out to the US for assistance in the crash, which is pretty weird.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-says-i ... 024-05-20/
"We were asked for assistance by the Iranian government. We did make clear to them that we would offer assistance, as we would do in response to any request by a foreign government in this sort of situation," spokesperson Matthew Miller told reporters.
"Ultimately, largely for logistical reasons, we were unable to provide that assistance," Miller said, without elaborating.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Something to closely keep an eye on, and something that's been talked about for awhile.

Source for Mario's post: CNN
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really hope China doesn't escalate with Taiwan right now. World politics are delicate right now, and with Russia / Ukraine and Israel / Palestine-Gaza already going on, we don't need another challenge like that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Don't forget the tensions with Iran in regards to Israel / Palestine-Gaza and now the uncertainty that the death of their President adds to it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:47 pm
Don't forget the tensions with Iran in regards to Israel / Palestine-Gaza and now the uncertainty that the death of their President adds to it.
Agreed.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The global game of chess

We know for a fact that China wants Taiwan back and has signaled that at some point they will take it by force if need be. The US has signaled it would defend Taiwan from a Chinese attack. I read today Taiwan has kill switches on all their chip making plants to stop China from taking them over somehow if invaded. If China did attack and did anything close to what Russia and Israel has done in their war, then I can’t imagine there being much left of Taiwan but rubble and dead people. It also seems to me that the US has thought of this scenario, hence all the giant Taiwan chip plants being built in the US right now. I suspect China is just waiting for the US to be so busy somewhere else militarily that China can try to take Taiwan without the US joining in. China was reluctant to help Russia in their war with Ukraine. After two years it seems recently that China has agreed to supply Russia with arms along with Iran and NK. That’s a big shift. In the US half the country wants to help Ukraine. Maga has no interest in helping Ukraine and seems to admire Putin. If that doesn’t send a signal to the rest of the world I don’t know what will.

We know for a fact that Russia has invaded Ukraine and seems to be gearing up for the long haul with it’s recent reorganization and it’s build up of it’s weapons capabilities, not to mention massing 500,000 troops along the border. They now have new strong military help from their friends. The countries closest to Ukraine that aren’t under Putin’s control worry they are next and have begun preparing for war with bunkers and an increased military budget. They can see the writing on the wall if Trump is elected. They will get no help from the US. Trump will praise Putin’s ingenuity and strength.

Iran and Israel nearly at war. Israel’s leader being issued an arrest warrant.

There are quite a few scenarios going on in my mind about the future and they all look bad to me. Everyone seems to be gearing up to fight.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And more global chess.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ar-BB1ntRiK
OPEC+ on Sunday agreed to extend all production curbs into next year, a deal that likely signals oil prices will remain elevated through the U.S. presidential election.

The price of oil, and in particular its effect on inflation and consumers’ outlook on the economy, will be closely watched in a presidential election year in the U.S. While gas prices have drifted downward of late, the extension of the production cuts is likely to keep them from falling dramatically.

The curbs are aimed at bolstering prices and avoiding a global surplus in a context of rising output from other nonmember producers, particularly the U.S., and concerns over demand amid high interest rates and inflation.

The kingdom rebuffed criticism it was colluding with Russia, which is included in the OPEC+ group, to drive prices higher and said the West was often driven by "wealth arrogance" when criticising the group.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like Mexico has just elected its first ever woman President.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

RIP

I guess they couldn’t kill all the candidates. I think I read where over 400 Mexican politicians running for office were murdered just this year.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:03 pm
RIP

I guess they couldn’t kill all the candidates. I think I read where over 400 Mexican politicians running for office were murdered just this year.
Here's another one to add to the list.

TOO

Post by TOO »

President just rolled over for the cartels it seems. Right outta the pumpkins book.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Roll over or die.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't believe Joe Biden got the Mexican mayor killed like that. ;-)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Big world chess moves

Is This The End Of The Petrodollar?
https://www.usfunds.com/resource/is-thi ... portfolios.
We may be witnessing the end of the petrodollar as more and more countries, including China and Russia, are agreeing to make settlements in currencies other than the U.S. dollar.

What this suggests is that the yuan’s role as a reserve currency will continue to strengthen, signifying a broader shift in the global power balance and potentially giving China a bigger hand with which to shape economic policies that affect us all.