Diamondbacks start well in April

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
LazarusLong

Diamondbacks start well in April

Post by LazarusLong » Wed May 01, 2019 8:40 am

* Grienke is 5-1 and the other starters (save for Godley) are fairly solid.
* Expect Duplantier making a few starts later this season.
* Bullpen is coming together.
* Hitting is much better than expected; Walker off to a good start in place of Goldschmidt.
Once upon a time, in what seems an epoch ago, the Phoenix Suns were a respectable NBA franchise ...

specialsauce

Re: Diamondbacks start well in April

Post by specialsauce » Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am

Great start, but we’ve been fooled by that for the last few years

Split T

Post by Split T » Wed May 01, 2019 2:59 pm

It’s been fun, can’t imagine the offense will continue to produce like they’ve done. I think Peralta, Marte, and Escobar are legit. Not convinced Walker and Jones will keep it up.
Garland
Hunter
Culver

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce » Wed May 01, 2019 3:06 pm

I would agree with your division of players

carey

Post by carey » Wed May 01, 2019 3:35 pm

specialsauce wrote:I would agree with your division of players
So would I. I like watching Jones play. I'm glad he signed here even tho it was only a one year deal.

I think they would have immediately turned the 5th starter role over to Duplantier if they could have. They have to wait the ten days for him to be eligible to come back up. Look for Clarke to make a spot start.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T » Wed May 01, 2019 3:52 pm

carey wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:35 pm
specialsauce wrote:I would agree with your division of players
So would I. I like watching Jones play. I'm glad he signed here even tho it was only a one year deal.

I think they would have immediately turned the 5th starter role over to Duplantier if they could have. They have to wait the ten days for him to be eligible to come back up. Look for Clarke to make a spot start.
Think I heard he hasn’t been stretched out fully. The 4 innings he pitched in the 15 inning game is his longest outing this year. He’s looked very impressive though...he should be the guy. I guess Taijun Walker is getting close as well.
Garland
Hunter
Culver

Split T

Post by Split T » Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Marte with home runs number 8 and 9 tonight. He won’t keep the 50 home run pace up, but is he gonna be a 25-30 homer guy?
Garland
Hunter
Culver

carey

Post by carey » Sat May 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Split T wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 pm
Marte with home runs number 8 and 9 tonight. He won’t keep the 50 home run pace up, but is he gonna be a 25-30 homer guy?
I think he'll regress to the mean soon, but even a 25 HR season out of him is kind of shocking. Are we in he era of the offensive short stop? Story, Lindor, Bregman, Didi, Machado (tho he moved to 3B for Tatis who looks like the real deal already), and Andrus? Plus a bunch of guys I probably am forgetting.

Anyway, this D-backs team seems like a fun & likable squad. How well do you think we have to do for them to keep Greinke instead of auctioning him off for parts. All but $70M of that contract has been paid....
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T » Sun May 05, 2019 8:06 am

Team is doing much better than I thought. I still think they’ll fade at some point, but maybe this team is good enough to make a run at a wildcard spot.

Weaver and Kelly are both pitching very well. If they keep it up, we’ve got a really solid rotation as Greinke looks good and Ray has been ok...he just walks too many people. We’ve got options at that 5th spot(Clarke, Duplantier, back to Godley, Walker when he’s healthy) so we can shuffle through guys until one starts producing. I think Duplantier ends up being that guy.

If the offense is legit and we stay in the wildcard race, I think we keep Greinke, although I wouldn’t blame them if they moved him to a team willing to take on his entire contract. You’re right though that it’s only 2 years after this one. Not bad.
Garland
Hunter
Culver