Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
carey
Posts: 11025
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by carey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: None. Go LSU!
Tuesday: Houston @ Memphis 8:00 PM EST NBATv, Dallas @ Golden State PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: Brooklyn @ Philadelphia 7:00 PM EST ESPN, Portland @ Houston 9:30 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Boston @ Milwaukee PM EST TNT, Denver @ Golden State TNT
Friday: Chicago @ Philadelphia 7:00 PM EST ESPN, Portland @ Dallas 9:30 PM EST ESPN
Saturday: L.A. Clippers @ New Orleans 3:30 PM EST ABC, Milwaukee @ Brooklyn 6:00 PM EST NBATv, L.A. Lakers @ Houston 8:30 PM EST ABC
Sunday: None.

NBA News

Let's go on a road trip with the NBA-best Bucks - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/284 ... best-bucks

Andre Drummond trade rumors: Knicks asking about Pistons center - https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/new ... pcnpex1kwr

When is the NBA trade deadline 2020? Date, time, latest rumors, news & top targets - https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/new ... abugqxuyi8
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4249
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Shabazz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:14 pm

SGA is ridiculous. Of course Sarver vetoed a trade to get him so we could give up a better asset and get Mikal. Unreal. We also had 2 SFs and 0 PGs at the time of the draft.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9449
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Split T » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 pm

It’s funny that the one trade McD wasn’t allowed to make was probably his best one
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton

User avatar
LazarusLong
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 am

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander had 20 points, 20 rebounds and 10 assists for his first triple-double, leading the Thunder to a 117-104 victory over the Timberwolves.

...another one that got away ....
Once upon a time, in what seems an epoch ago, the Phoenix Suns were a respectable NBA franchise ...

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 11563
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Mori Chu » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 am

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 am
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander had 20 points, 20 rebounds and 10 assists for his first triple-double, leading the Thunder to a 117-104 victory over the Timberwolves.

...another one that got away ....
One problem with being bad is that you have a lot of draft assets, so inevitably you end up whiffing on some of them and moan about what might have been. We have missed on more draft picks than most teams, but I'm sure almost every franchise has similar regrets about draft picks they made wrong.

User avatar
azsportsfan
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by azsportsfan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:46 am

Are you guys still holding to the theory that a #16 plus a 2021 Heat 1st rounder to Charlotte for the #11 pick was going to beat #12 and two second rounders? We only ever hear stories about this or that, but when did McD ever actually come close to the [good] stories?

User avatar
SunsRIt
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by SunsRIt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:46 am
Are you guys still holding to the theory that a #16 plus a 2021 Heat 1st rounder to Charlotte for the #11 pick was going to beat #12 and two second rounders? We only ever hear stories about this or that, but when did McD ever actually come close to the [good] stories?
Amare for Stephen Curry comes to mind. The deal was done and Golden State backed out of it.

User avatar
azsportsfan
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by azsportsfan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:59 am

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am
azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:46 am
Are you guys still holding to the theory that a #16 plus a 2021 Heat 1st rounder to Charlotte for the #11 pick was going to beat #12 and two second rounders? We only ever hear stories about this or that, but when did McD ever actually come close to the [good] stories?
Amare for Stephen Curry comes to mind. The deal was done and Golden State backed out of it.
Well, that was Kerr, and the trade was a go until it was Curry that was available, according to Don Nelson.

User avatar
SunsRIt
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by SunsRIt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:59 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am
azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:46 am
Are you guys still holding to the theory that a #16 plus a 2021 Heat 1st rounder to Charlotte for the #11 pick was going to beat #12 and two second rounders? We only ever hear stories about this or that, but when did McD ever actually come close to the [good] stories?
Amare for Stephen Curry comes to mind. The deal was done and Golden State backed out of it.
Well, that was Kerr, and the trade was a go until it was Curry that was available, according to Don Nelson.
Their version differs from the Suns version.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4249
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Shabazz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:14 pm

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:46 am
Are you guys still holding to the theory that a #16 plus a 2021 Heat 1st rounder to Charlotte for the #11 pick was going to beat #12 and two second rounders? We only ever hear stories about this or that, but when did McD ever actually come close to the [good] stories?
It’s not a theory. It was reported by Bob Young and verified. It was also the Milwaukee pick and not the Miami pick.

User avatar
SunsRIt
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by SunsRIt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:28 pm

Stephen A Smith thinks the Lakers should package Kuzma, other players, and picks for Devin Booker. Of course he does.

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 6602
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Cap » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 pm

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:28 pm
Stephen A Smith thinks the Lakers should package Kuzma, other players, and picks for Devin Booker. Of course he does.
Does “other players” include Anthony Davis?

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 3286
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:47 pm

He doesn't actually believe that can happen. SAS is a carnival barker, and a damn good one too.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
SunsRIt
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by SunsRIt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Cap wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:28 pm
Stephen A Smith thinks the Lakers should package Kuzma, other players, and picks for Devin Booker. Of course he does.
Does “other players” include Anthony Davis?
Haha, no. He thinks Booker, LeBron and Davis would be pretty good together.

User avatar
LazarusLong
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:28 pm
Stephen A Smith thinks the Lakers should package Kuzma, other players, and picks for Devin Booker. Of course he does.
I wouldn't figure Smith for getting into magic mushrooms ...
Once upon a time, in what seems an epoch ago, the Phoenix Suns were a respectable NBA franchise ...

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 18157
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Superbone » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:12 pm

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:28 pm
Stephen A Smith thinks the Lakers should package Kuzma, other players, and picks for Devin Booker. Of course he does.
I wouldn't figure Smith for getting into magic mushrooms ...
If we could get Caruso back, then we have a deal!
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season!

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6258
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by ShelC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am


User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10761
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Indy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am

There goes INFs proposal to get Teague here. I forgot he was expiring at the same price as TJ.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6489
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by In2ition » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 am

I saw this from the Jazz announcer and biggest cheerleader. I think Gobert should be an all-star, but valuing screen assists and the defensive presence that Gobert provides takes away from Mitchell's shine, imo. He wouldn't get as many open looks if he didn't have Gobert to set those amazing moving screens for him 10 times a game. And, his defense is very much attached to Goberts, no?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
azsportsfan
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 am

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by azsportsfan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:57 am

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 am
I saw this from the Jazz announcer and biggest cheerleader. I think Gobert should be an all-star, but valuing screen assists and the defensive presence that Gobert provides takes away from Mitchell's shine, imo. He wouldn't get as many open looks if he didn't have Gobert to set those amazing moving screens for him 10 times a game. And, his defense is very much attached to Goberts, no?
All of the above. Much easier to look good on defense with the 2-time DPOY behind you.
"Screen assists" is an awesome stat only to the Jazz. Otherwise, it's harder to pump Gobert up on the offensive end.

Post Reply