All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The jokes are better than debating a wall.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:04 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:16 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:15 pm
How do you know he wasn't in the Bahamas? Where was he? I thought that was a new clip but that was his exit interview. I'd like to hear what he thinks now. I'd hope he'd be a little more excited.
He was in Phoenix at that smash room thing. It was posted here.
It was a normal room. Move on, find a new slant!
Lol what? :?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:26 pm
Please shut us up, Deandre.
:D :lol:
Gonna space it out, make some more space, so we can play in space, have you been to space?
:lol:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:26 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:41 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:49 pm
IF Ayton buys in to Vogel and understands what a great situation he is in, he could have a career year.
As opposed to the terrible situation he has been forced to play in these last few years?

I get him and Monty did not have a good relationship, but it wasn't like it started that way from day one. When this team/organization turned the corner in the Bubble, it was Ayton who decided to play like garbage. Before that, it was his suspension. So those two things probably led to the relationship going sideways (along with Monty's devotion to the "Point god" :roll: )

We've been told that Ayton needs touches to play hard. So how is playing with three elite scorers who each demand/deserve 20+ shots per game a great situation for him?
Those three players averaged 56 shots per game last season. And there’s 90 shots available per game. So what’s the problem?
Yeah, that's not how basketball works. You can't play the game on paper. Those 56 shots don't account for the possessions where these guys are going to drive and kick to 3-point shooters. Those 56 shot attempts don't account for the possessions where these guys will draw fouls attacking their defenders and get to the line (non and-1 situations). These guys play with a certain flow to the game that isn't necessarily compatible with feeding a guy in the post 10-15 times a game.

JNix

Post by JNix »

Someone cant ACTUALLY be saying we should "feed" Ayton in the post. Guy hasnt added one low post move since he entered the league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JNix wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:18 am
Someone cant ACTUALLY be saying we should "feed" Ayton in the post. Guy hasnt added one low post move since he entered the league.
Oh buddy, this is THE Ayton fix for all of his staunchest supporters.

JNix

Post by JNix »

TOO wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:41 am
JNix wrote:
Oh buddy, this is THE Ayton fix for all of his staunchest supporters.
True. I have a few friends like this.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:24 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:26 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:41 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:49 pm
IF Ayton buys in to Vogel and understands what a great situation he is in, he could have a career year.
As opposed to the terrible situation he has been forced to play in these last few years?

I get him and Monty did not have a good relationship, but it wasn't like it started that way from day one. When this team/organization turned the corner in the Bubble, it was Ayton who decided to play like garbage. Before that, it was his suspension. So those two things probably led to the relationship going sideways (along with Monty's devotion to the "Point god" :roll: )

We've been told that Ayton needs touches to play hard. So how is playing with three elite scorers who each demand/deserve 20+ shots per game a great situation for him?
Those three players averaged 56 shots per game last season. And there’s 90 shots available per game. So what’s the problem?
Yeah, that's not how basketball works. You can't play the game on paper. Those 56 shots don't account for the possessions where these guys are going to drive and kick to 3-point shooters. Those 56 shot attempts don't account for the possessions where these guys will draw fouls attacking their defenders and get to the line (non and-1 situations). These guys play with a certain flow to the game that isn't necessarily compatible with feeding a guy in the post 10-15 times a game.
"needs touches" does not necessarily = "feeding a guy in the post 10-15 times a game."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JNix wrote:
Someone suggested it, yes:
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:48 am
But that may not matter because our offense might simply be one of the big 3 just going one on one, or we'll feed Ayton in the post.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If Ayton could seal his man and keep him sealed as he's receiving the ball, this might work. Unfortunately, too many of the passes into the post are intercepted, because he doesn't hold his seal or fumbles the pass. I would like to see him jab step, rocker step and make an explosive first step to the rim, while creating contact.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Now we're just playing semantics. Silly me for even bothering.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:16 am
TOO wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Gonna space it out, make some more space, so we can play in space, have you been to space?
I don't get it. Is it from a popular song or something?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:21 am
Now we're just playing semantics. Silly me for even bothering.
I was going to say, how else are we going to get to 100 pages but I think that may only be the halfway point if we're lucky.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:09 am
INFORMER wrote:
TOO wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
It was Ayton's response to a reporter asking him what he was going to work on in the offseason to become a better player.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:20 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:09 am
INFORMER wrote:
TOO wrote:
Superbone wrote:

It was Ayton's response to a reporter asking him what he was going to work on in the offseason to become a better player.
And evidently toke some more reefer given that response…. Yowzers 😂

Sunsfanatic76

Post by Sunsfanatic76 »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mike says some of the stupidest things sometimes when blinded by his Ayton hate. Can't defend the perimeter? Like he expects Vogel to just forget that Ayton shut down LeBron in a playoff series against him?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:45 pm
Mike says some of the stupidest things sometimes when blinded by his Ayton hate. Can't defend the perimeter? Like he expects Vogel to just forget that Ayton shut down LeBron in a playoff series against him?
I think you'd understand most of us better if you just substituted the word "hate" for "disappointment."

Also, Ayton shut down both LeBron and AD in that series? Impressive.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

JeremyG wrote:
You're on an island my guy. I'm not sure if you've noticed but most people around here don't like Ayton. We'd love to see him be better but I don't think any of us have confidence that that's ever going to happen. You remind me of some of those Penny Hardaway fans that joined this community when he was traded to the Suns. Absolutely obnoxious.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:25 pm
JeremyG wrote:
You're on an island my guy. I'm not sure if you've noticed but most people around here don't like Ayton. We'd love to see him be better but I don't think any of us have confidence that that's ever going to happen. You remind me of some of those Penny Hardaway fans that joined this community when he was traded to the Suns. Absolutely obnoxious.
I don't agree. It's not that we don't like him. Seems to be a great dude. He has just been disappointing and often lacking effort on the court for most of last season. He's shown us glimpses so we know he can do it. He was much more consistent in the prior season. Especially in the 2021 playoffs. If we was getting paid half as much, we'd probably be more forgiving but he's getting a max contract and needs to put in the appropriate effort for that salary. Honestly, it shouldn't matter how much you make, you should be putting in full effort. I mean sure, sometimes you have to pace yourself but you know what I mean.

"Be Legendary."