All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by iLLmatic »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:01 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:47 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:42 am
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:32 am
*Checks Ayton thread*

*3 new pages*

Yep, y'all are still obsessed with him. Even bringing back "SlamDunkleyKong" from Reddit I see.
Just admit you were wrong and keep it moving.
Because of one game? You all sure love to say a lot about one game. And then next game it will be crickets in here I'm sure.
Do the Blazers play Cuba tomorrow?

How many times are you gonna die on DOMINAYTON hill?
Nah they play against that YMCA team he was manhandling during the summer loll. That’s his only hope.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

We did come close to 200 pages before the season started... Little victories. Kinda like his gameplay.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Same shit, different DAy.

TOO

Post by TOO »

He's never been a good interview. Kinda just stumbles through them, also has never had any self awareness about his game. So yeah, same DA.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I like that Scoot, the 19 yr old rookie, was the one in DA's ear giving him the advice and telling him there's a lot more game left to play.

I also like that rather than be accountable for his fouls and saying, "I need to adjust to the officials", he goes right to "What do you want me to do? The refs took me out of the game".

Maybe that's just me hAyton on him tho.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

YouSuc Nurkbitch wasn’t good last night but still better than Ayton was against the clips the other night 👀👀👀👀

#NoStopfor200

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I'll just leave this here.
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:10 pm
Nobody listened to me when I said that Ayton wouldn't even have to be the 4th option for the majority of games, with how injury prone our big 3 are. Now we are going to wish we had a 4th option to step in as a 3rd option or 2nd option.
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:02 pm
One thing you guys are forgetting, though, is that likely for the majority of games this season, Ayton will be the #1, #2, or #3, depending on whether 1, 2, or 3 of our big 3 are injured at the same time. Given their history, it’s highly unlikely that all 3 will be playing at the same time for more than 20-40 games, which would be the only games that Ayton is the 4th option (or even fewer than that, if Ayton is injured for some of those games).
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:30 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:14 pm
We have Eric Gordon for that now
I've been a big defender of Gordon, but he's not a guy who can get you 25 or 30 anymore. (Maybe in a game or two if all of the big three are out.)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s nothing about Ayton’s time here that makes me think he could’ve stepped up and gotten us 30 last night. Now he probably would’ve been better for this specific game, but for his defense, not his offense. Assuming we got 2021 or 2022 Ayton and not the defense he played last year.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:28 am
There’s nothing about Ayton’s time here that makes me think he could’ve stepped up and gotten us 30 last night. Now he probably would’ve been better for this specific game, but for his defense, not his offense. Assuming we got 2021 or 2022 Ayton and not the defense he played last year.
"Not his offense"? Lol.

The facts are not in your favor.

Ayton literally led the team in scoring when Booker was out from Dec. 19 through Feb. 4 last season, and CP3 missing some of those also. (And that's without even omitting the 5 games Bridges played without Ayton during that stretch.)

Including three games of 30 or more. Plus Feb. 7 when Booker returned in a minutes-limted game, he had 35 & 15 against Brooklyn and "DPOY" Nic Claxton to lead us to a 4-point win.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No, I'm sure nobody else has every gotten 4 fouls in a half in the history of the NBA.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

And he scored 4 points in his season opener. You can’t trust him. He can’t create his own shot. He’d be dependent on our guards getting him the ball. You think Goodwin, Allen, and Gordon are getting him the ball in position to take 20 shots? Not a chance.

He played 4 whole games last year without either CP3 or Booker. He scored 24, 18, 14, and 11…so 16.8 ppg. That’s probably what he would’ve given us.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Kryptonic wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:42 am

I guess I never realized how much of a whiner he is. He’s been extremely bitchy with Portland reporters from the interviews I’ve seen of him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:55 am
And he scored 4 points in his season opener. You can’t trust him. He can’t create his own shot. He’d be dependent on our guards getting him the ball. You think Goodwin, Allen, and Gordon are getting him the ball in position to take 20 shots? Not a chance.

He played 4 whole games last year without either CP3 or Booker. He scored 24, 18, 14, and 11…so 16.8 ppg. That’s probably what he would’ve given us.
So now you're basing your argument on a 4-game sample? We also didn't have Cam Payne in those games, who I said should have been our point guard this year. (He averaged 7.1 apg in 15 games as a starter last season btw.)

Regardless, assuming no Payne and assuming 17 points from Ayton last night...what did we get from Allen+Little+Nurkic? 12 points. So we were missing 5 points. How many points did we lose by? 5 points. ;)

3TheHardaway

Post by 3TheHardaway »

iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:21 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:42 am

I guess I never realized how much of a whiner he is. He’s been extremely bitchy with Portland reporters from the interviews I’ve seen of him.
It looks like he's quickly realizing that the perceived unfair treatment he received in Phoenix is just standard treatment for an NBA player who was the first overall pick in the draft on a max contract.

A ridiculous amount of talent and god-given ability but without the drive, accountability, or maturity to use it. Good riddance.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:37 am
Split T wrote:

So now you're basing your argument on a 4-game sample? We also didn't have Cam Payne in those games, who I said should have been our point guard this year. (He averaged 7.1 apg in 15 games as a starter last season btw.)

Regardless, assuming no Payne and assuming 17 points from Ayton last night...what did we get from Allen+Little+Nurkic? 12 points. So we were missing 5 points. How many points did we lose by? 5 points. ;)
Amazing math; a modern day einstein

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

I was kinda shocked it was only 4 games. You were talking up Ayton as the teams leading scorer with Booker out and mentioned CP3 missed some too over those couple months. So my point wasn’t to emphasize a 4 game sample. It was to call you out on saying he did some of that without CP3. He did 4 games without CP3 and didn’t exactly fair that great in those 4.

The point remains. He can’t generate his own shot. Our team had no one last night to generate shots for him. He wasn’t scoring 30. He’s a weapon when you have good ball handlers that can find him near the basket. Not a reliable option to replace their scoring when they are out. Not without a pg to find him. It’s amazing to me how much you continue to bend over backwards to support DA. He’s not even on the team anymore.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Only in Ayton's and JeremyG's mind is Ayton viewed as the second coming of Giannis; if he only had the right teammates/coach. Reality has him with the basketball desire of Luther Wright.

Wonder where he will fit in with the Pantheon of Blazers centers: Walton, Bowie, and Oden.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Careful... Don't want to hurt any feelings. Something Ayton and his fans share... Thin skin.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:30 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

I was kinda shocked it was only 4 games. You were talking up Ayton as the teams leading scorer with Booker out and mentioned CP3 missed some too over those couple months. So my point wasn’t to emphasize a 4 game sample. It was to call you out on saying he did some of that without CP3. He did 4 games without CP3 and didn’t exactly fair that great in those 4.

The point remains. He can’t generate his own shot. Our team had no one last night to generate shots for him. He wasn’t scoring 30. He’s a weapon when you have good ball handlers that can find him near the basket. Not a reliable option to replace their scoring when they are out. Not without a pg to find him. It’s amazing to me how much you continue to bend over backwards to support DA. He’s not even on the team anymore.
I said 25-30 originally. And you just pointed out that he scored 24 with no CP3, Booker, or Payne to feed him. So this argument is ridiculous. My whole point is that he could have helped our offense and lack of scoring last night.

And you're ignoring the fact that I never advocated for keeping him on the roster without having a point guard. I think that last night shows we need a point guard anyway.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:02 pm
Only in Ayton's and JeremyG's mind is Ayton viewed as the second coming of Giannis; if he only had the right teammates/coach. Reality has him with the basketball desire of Luther Wright.

Wonder where he will fit in with the Pantheon of Blazers centers: Walton, Bowie, and Oden.
The only thing those three centers have in common is that their careers were derailed by injuries. Are you predicting that for Ayton?

And is there something wrong with leading your team to a championship and winning Finals MVP? (Bill Walton, 1977)