NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by specialsauce »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:06 pm
Split T: I think you're right. It's either Toppin or Halliburton. Of the two, I'd much rather have Halliburton.

Toppin doesn't rebound like a star PF. He's good, but not elite, 3 point shooter. His defense is the stuff of nightmares for his own coach and teammates. Chris Paul will flat out murder him at center court for being dumb, slow, and lazy on defense. I'd rather have Saric, and that's saying VERY little of Toppin. He's already 22, so there less upside to him than Bey, Vassell, and Halliburton.

In Toppin's defense, he's an elite athlete who shoots well. Great in transition. Fluid from he waist up. Good passer and handles for a PF. Ok shot blocker, but should be better given his length and hops.

Edit: Oddly, one of the comps I am seeing is Amare Stoudemire.
Your description sounds a lot like Tatums predraft analysis

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:
Split T: I think you're right. It's either Toppin or Halliburton. Of the two, I'd much rather have Halliburton.

Toppin doesn't rebound like a star PF. He's good, but not elite, 3 point shooter. His defense is the stuff of nightmares for his own coach and teammates. Chris Paul will flat out murder him at center court for being dumb, slow, and lazy on defense. I'd rather have Saric, and that's saying VERY little of Toppin. He's already 22, so there less upside to him than Bey, Vassell, and Halliburton.

In Toppin's defense, he's an elite athlete who shoots well. Great in transition. Fluid from he waist up. Good passer and handles for a PF. Ok shot blocker, but should be better given his length and hops.

Ya, Toppin is awful defensively. The offense is incredible though.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Itd be cool if Halliburton or Toppin fell, someone has too but both of those guys seem like solid bets to be productive NBA players and in a draft like this, going for the sure thing seems like that way to go. If I had to pick someone to fall, it would probably be Okoro due to how raw his offensive game is.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Wormwood wrote:

Your description sounds a lot like Tatums predraft analysis
Tatum's defense was at least passable, with the suspicion that it would improve. FWIW, if you go back in .net archives you'll see that I believe wanted us to draft Tatum at the time. The big difference is lateral mobility, bball IQ on D, willingness to defend.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Devin Vassell is also represented by CAA fwiw

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm fairly down on Toppin. He would be hard to pass up at 10, but there are big red flags.

Here's a video that shows how he's not that good of a shooter. He doesn't shoot unless he wiiiiiiiiide open, and he often misses badly. Like Dragan Bender badly. That stuff can be corrected, but it is concerning in an older prospect.

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Knicks should really be targeting Hali. He's exactly what they need and fits really well next to RJ.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Halliburton has holes in his game, but they're fixable, or they're not total show stoppers.

So-so in half court sets. Slow on his jump shot release. Needs to add muscle to fight through contact on offense and defense. Defensive footwork needs improvement. Somewhat turnover prone.

Of these, only the first is something that's really tough to fix and likely to stick with him throughout his career.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m thinking the guy is Bey. And I’m liking the pick. I never spent much time on him, but a lot to like.

Though if Haliburton falls, I’m all over that.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:06 pm
I’m thinking the guy is Bey. And I’m liking the pick. I never spent much time on him, but a lot to like.

Bey is what you would get if you transplanted Bridges' brain into Josh Jackson's body.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:43 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:05 am
Great, Flex from Jersey is officially turning into one of those vague tweeters who claim to have inside info but never give enough details to be accountable.

As for the draft, are we destined to draft the most James Jones-like player in every draft from now on? I keep reading about SF/PFs linked to us who have good 3-point shooting and defense. Hmm, who does that sound like?
His mansplaining is annoying. Stay calm guys! Understand this guys! Be positive guys! Stay tuned guys!

No. EAD Flex.
LOL!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:48 am
Wondering who would drop who's projected to be taken by 10...I know the Knicks were supposedly linked to Vassell and Okoro at 10 so if they move up to #5 for Toppin then either guy could drop and Vassell might be our guy.

Think he also said we may trade back for a vet and a later pick...one of the Suns guys on Twitter thought Josh Hart and 13 or Pj Tucker and 16?
I don’t see how anyone passes on Vassel. I wouldn’t want Edwards on my squad- seems like a selfish, celebrity chasing, exceptionally talented player with limited intrinsic team winning motivation.
I wouldn't have picked Edwards for Atlanta knowing what I know now.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:01 pm

I don’t see how anyone passes on Vassel. I wouldn’t want Edwards on my squad- seems like a selfish, celebrity chasing, exceptionally talented player with limited intrinsic team winning motivation.
Im just going to leave this here.

"Definitely getting to my second contract; that's my success," Ayton said at media availability for top lottery picks.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/238 ... econd-deal
Let's hope Paul whips him into shape.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:05 pm
Knicks should really be targeting Hali. He's exactly what they need and fits really well next to RJ.
Shhhh.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:31 pm
Split T wrote:

Bey is what you would get if you transplanted Bridges' brain into Josh Jackson's body.
Dude. Don't tease me like that!

"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:21 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Split T wrote:

Bridges would be pissed. He'd end up with an STD. And HepC.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:21 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Split T wrote:

Bridges would be pissed. He'd end up with an STD. And HepC.
:lol: At least Jackson hasn't murdered anybody... yet. ;)

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:11 pm
wow. that guy is connected!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »