Monty Williams

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Monty Williams will...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:38 pm

No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2023
10%
No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2024
5%
Still be the Suns' head coach for training camp 2024
85%

Total votes: 20

INFORMER

Re: Monty Williams

Post by INFORMER »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:18 am
JeremyG wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:27 am
Wow. I’ve haven’t heard anyone (other than James & Monty) say that last season was anything other than a complete failure.

How is it not underachieving for a 64-win team to not make it out of the second round? And mainly due to abysmal coaching and being completely out-coached in both rounds.
It’s funny how you can be so harsh on team results and even more brutal on Monty, but all the opposite regarding Ayton.
This, a 1000x.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Without having the head-and-shoulders above the rest player(s) in the league, luck is such a huge factor in winning 4 playoff series in a row. Every year we can count off at least a few incredible moments that swung a series and often propelled the eventual title winner.

The Suns caught every break two years ago until the Finals when Dario tore his ACL, Booker's hamstring became a problem and Paul's broken wrist was exposed. Most of us knew it in the moment which is what made the Finals loss so crushing, but it also just felt like it was the Suns time to be unlucky. Then it simply came down to which team had the best player.

They didn't catch any breaks this past post-season starting with having to play our former lead assistant coach and best friend of our point guard. Booker's hamstring was likely the most easily forgotten part as well because the Suns probably put that series away at least one game earlier if he was healthy. Also, obviously we have no evidence of it, but I have a gut feeling that Chris Paul's birthday weekend put the team over the edge in terms of making their own luck. That seemed like an unnecessary risk at the time and could've been the smoking gun for whatever went wrong if it was indeed somewhat COVID related.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:15 pm
Also, this is such a bullshit poll Jeremy. You constantly suck off your favorite player that has ZERO faults while throwing nothing but shade at Monty. I feel like you only give a rats ass about this team because Ayton is on the roster. You're a pretty shitty fan of the team overall. I feel like every thread and conversation lately is getting hijacked by your stupid agenda. Defend Ayton. Bash the organization, the coach and the GM. Rinse, wash, repeat, ad nauseam. I feel like every Suns thread feels like putting a blow dryer to my eyeballs by how shitty it is when you insert yourself into the conversation.
You must not have been hugged enough as a kid.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:24 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Also, this is such a bullshit poll Jeremy. You constantly suck off your favorite player that has ZERO faults while throwing nothing but shade at Monty. I feel like you only give a rats ass about this team because Ayton is on the roster. You're a pretty shitty fan of the team overall. I feel like every thread and conversation lately is getting hijacked by your stupid agenda. Defend Ayton. Bash the organization, the coach and the GM. Rinse, wash, repeat, ad nauseam. I feel like every Suns thread feels like putting a blow dryer to my eyeballs by how shitty it is when you insert yourself into the conversation.
You're the real AIG. And I was never this bad. I was more than willing to admit Amare had major flaws. Am I wrong when I say you're only here and a "fan" of the Suns because of Ayton? You literally joined this site 2 days before Ayton was drafted, when it was all but certain he was going to the #1 draft pick. Guessing you joined KingzFanz.net and MavsMania as backups just in case that same day.

Come on dude. This absurd thread coming from the guy that defends Ayton's honor like he's your wife anytime someone has rightful criticism. I'm in the pro Ayton camp but even I'm not as blind as you are. The problem most of us have has been called out repeatedly. You trash Monty and the org all the time but trip out when anything negative is said about Ayton. Am I wrong?

For the record, my parents hugged and still hug the hell out of me.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

His suns fandom predates his Ayton fandom…but it definitely seems like his Ayton fandom has surpassed his Suns fandom.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:24 am
His suns fandom predates his Ayton fandom…but it definitely seems like his Ayton fandom has surpassed his Suns fandom.
By 2 days. He was here 2 days before he was drafted #1...
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:30 am
Split T wrote:
Well I don’t think when he joined the message board necessarily means he wasn’t a fan before. He was asked about it and he’s been a lifelong fan…believe he even posted a pic at one point of him in suns gear from a long time ago…if I’m recalling correctly.

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:17 am
You're the real AIG. And I was never this bad. I was more than willing to admit Amare had major flaws. Am I wrong when I say you're only here and a "fan" of the Suns because of Ayton? You literally joined this site 2 days before Ayton was drafted, when it was all but certain he was going to the #1 draft pick. Guessing you joined KingzFanz.net and MavsMania as backups just in case that same day.
Ackchyually… the Hawks had the third pick. Mavs picked fifth.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:44 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
Well I don’t think when he joined the message board necessarily means he wasn’t a fan before. He was asked about it and he’s been a lifelong fan…believe he even posted a pic at one point of him in suns gear from a long time ago…if I’m recalling correctly.
You are. His fandom goes back longer than many here. Just because he has a huge blindspot with Ayton doesn't mean he is less of a fan.

And to act that this place is the end-all-be-all of Suns fandom is crazy. This is a very small slice of Suns fandom where like 30-40 people actively talk about the team.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:36 am
Split T wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
You are. His fandom goes back longer than many here. Just because he has a huge blindspot with Ayton doesn't mean he is less of a fan.

And to act that this place is the end-all-be-all of Suns fandom is crazy. This is a very small slice of Suns fandom where like 30-40 people actively talk about the team.
Fair enough. We all have our quirks. I'm an asshole many times and have been for years around here which has led to plenty of personal apologies. Jeremy has every right to defend Ayton and bash Monty just like I tend to turn into a dick when certain folks are constantly pessimistic. There's always the ignore feature if it becomes a problem. The fact that I don't have Jeremy on ignore is because I do sometimes need a good dose of Ayton optimism and someone else coming to his defense when I feel people are overly critical about his play.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
We've already had this discussion. I think last time Jeremy showed a picture of himself in Suns pajamas. Or something like that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:52 am
Indy wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:36 am
Split T wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:

Fair enough. We all have our quirks. I'm an asshole many times and have been for years around here which has led to plenty of personal apologies. Jeremy has every right to defend Ayton and bash Monty just like I tend to turn into a dick when certain folks are constantly pessimistic. There's always the ignore feature if it becomes a problem. The fact that I don't have Jeremy on ignore is because I do sometimes need a good dose of Ayton optimism and someone else coming to his defense when I feel people are overly critical about his play.
Real assholes don't apologize. :P
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Thanks guys.
Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:12 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
We've already had this discussion. I think last time Jeremy showed a picture of himself in Suns pajamas. Or something like that.
Haha, it was a photo of me on my 10th birthday with a homemade Suns cake. :lol: For those who missed it:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:17 am
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:24 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

Come on dude. This absurd thread coming from the guy that defends Ayton's honor like he's your wife anytime someone has rightful criticism. I'm in the pro Ayton camp but even I'm not as blind as you are. The problem most of us have has been called out repeatedly. You trash Monty and the org all the time but trip out when anything negative is said about Ayton. Am I wrong?

For the record, my parents hugged and still hug the hell out of me.
I assumed you’ve been a Suns fan long enough to remember the hugging reference. ;)
You trash Monty and the org all the time but trip out when anything negative is said about Ayton. Am I wrong?
Yes. I usually don’t respond to Ayton criticism, unless I feel it’s clearly unfair (IOW, pointing out anti-Ayton blind spots).

As soon as I notice a deficit in the amount of criticism posted on here towards Ayton versus what he deserves, I will post criticism toward him as well.

It’s quite amazing to me how Monty receives almost zero criticism/blame on here.

And what does “the org” mean? A racist, sexist owner? Yeah, I’ve been trashing him a little bit.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This thread feels like a commentary on the media. When two sides disagree, even if 99% of people are on one side, cover it as a "controversy" and talk about "both sides."

Poll seems pretty conclusive to me.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

So many winnable games we've lost that could be the difference in seeding or making the postseason at all. There has to be a coaching change after this season, and I'm even more confident than when I made this thread that there will be.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Every new owner eventually hires their own people and it seems like it's usually within the first two years, so you're really not going out on that limb like you think you are. But it wouldn't surprise me if you dusted this off in 18 months and claimed clairvoyance.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:47 pm
So many winnable games we've lost that could be the difference in seeding or making the postseason at all. There has to be a coaching change after this season, and I'm even more confident than when I made this thread that there will be.
Yeah, well, notice how the poll was a landslide of people disagreeing with you?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:47 pm
So the past 2-3 seasons just go out the window because we lost close games due to injuries to major rotational pieces this season? A different coach would be getting more out of Shamet, Okogie, Lee, Ish? Or they'd just feed DA 30 times a game and we'd be a top 3 seed right now?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If we see the same inconsistent effort for the rest of the season I think he might be gone.

If they get healthy and win 45-50 games and don't embarass themselves in the playoffs, all is forgiven.

I do think the team's offense needs re-worked over the offseason - with Booker and Johnson out too many shots are going to the wrong players. Going forward their bread & butter should be Booker and then Ayton and they need to add a dependable third scorer to go with them.

Also, Ayton's per 36 minute numbers (21 pts, 12 rebs) tell me he should be getting more than 29 minutes a game.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695