2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There’s a sliver of truth in these rumors, but the Suns are leverage right now and probably always were.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Not to be greedy, but if the Suns to trade for Beal with the Wiz, I’d love to get back one other asset at least. Avdija, Kispert, Gafford, even Morris would be helpful to have next season.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If the rumors and potential deals are true, I wonder if the Suns are pushing for DA in the deal to keep CP so they can waive and re-sign him and keep him in the mix? He'd be a good 3rd guard, assuming he's OK coming off the bench, playing next to either Beal or Book. If CP is in the deal, we're in the market for another guard (since Payne isn't exactly reliable and Vogel may want someone else) and also pressed to look to deal DA elsewhere to break up his salary and add depth pieces.

Also, I'm inclined to think the injury stuff around Beal had more to do with the Wizards' records than his body. We know stars are held out or sit out with minor injuries when the team is shit and only winning 20 games. During a tank year or at the end of a lost season these guys always sit the last 10-15 games.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:08 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:57 am
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:43 am
I don't think it's a matter of them co-existing, it's whether or not we want to see Ish Wainright playing 35mpg as our starting PF and 3 summer leaguers coming off the bench.
Are you saying that you couldn't find vet min guys like Okogie or Yuta, you won't get a chance to sign MLE or BAE players or that signing vet mins is not possible with that roster?
That would be terrific if Suns could get Beal for Shamet and CP3. And I’d be all in on keeping Ayton too.
I’ve been on vacation and haven’t caught up on here yet, but I like this post. ;)

People are so worried about the money, but if you make them take Payne’s expiring contract too, then you’re saving money! And you could still use the TPMLE.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Problem is we don’t have much leverage in the trade. Doubt we can make them take anything they don’t want.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:36 am
Problem is we don’t have much leverage in the trade. Doubt we can make them take anything they don’t want.
Neither does Washington. If Beal has a no-trade clause and demands a trade to Phoenix, Washington has zero leverage.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:17 pm
Wonderful news. Let Vogel allow him to become an All-Star center.

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

Bradley Beal's Agent Is The Father Of The Phoenix Suns CEO

Bradley Beal has become one of the most talked about stars in terms of a potential trade this offseason, with the Washington Wizards seemingly ready to move on and start a new chapter.

The Miami Heat and the Phoenix Suns have been named as the finalists in the sweepstakes to acquire Beal. And one fact that people didn't know about earlier has surfaced which might give the Suns an advantage.

Bradley Beal is represented by Mark Bartelstein of Priority Sports. And after new owner Mat Ishbia took over, the man he appointed as CEO for the Phoenix Suns in April 2023 is Josh Bartelstein, the son of Beal's agent.

In an ideal world, this wouldn't mean much, but it's hard to think that this won't give the Suns some sort of an advantage in getting a trade done. The team still has to reach a satisfactory deal with the Washington Wizards to make a move happen, but this might help in terms of selling the project to Beal.

Another interesting wrinkle is the no-trade clause in Brad Beal's contract. He is allowed to veto any trade involving him, which would make this even more relevant as he can essentially leverage that to ensure he gets a move to the Suns. What will happen remains to be seen.

Is It A Good Idea For The Phoenix Suns To Trade For Bradley Beal?
On paper, the idea of forming a Big 3 with Devin Booker, Kevin Durant, and Bradley Beal sounds like a good one. But it may severely handicap the Suns when it comes to building out the rest of their roster. Devin Booker is due a new contract to start the 2024/25 season, and he will surely command a supermax having become an All-NBA player. This means his salary that season is likely to be somewhere near $50 million.

Kevin Durant has a cap hit of $51 million during the 2024/25 season, while Bradley Beal is also owed $50 million that same year. This would make team-building really difficult considering the new changes introduced to the luxury tax rules. This is something the Suns very much have to think about moving forward.

Bradley Beal's average has fallen to 23.2 points per game in the last two years for the Wizards. However, in the two seasons prior to that, he averaged 30.8 points per game over two years. He has it in him to be just what a contending team needs to push him over the edge, but it's not as simple as it sounds for the Suns either.

https://fadeawayworld.net/bradley-beals ... x-suns-ceo

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:42 pm
I said he'd have one of the worst contracts in the league as soon as he signed it.

Now, it's not Ben Simmons level of a toxic asset, but it's pretty damn clear no one is really eager to give up anything of value to have a non-All-Star Center on a max salary.
There are several teams willing to trade for him. They just won’t give the Suns what they want. Like I keep saying, they would have to be blown away by a team’s offer in order to part with their future All-Star center. They’re not going to trade him for a few mediocre depth players like you all want them to do.

If Monty has messed him up so much that he is not commanding as much value as he should, then why wouldn’t they want to keep him and let Vogel develop him into an All-Star?

LVSunsFAN

Post by LVSunsFAN »

Split T wrote:
It seems like Beal has them by the balls and it's all about where HE wants to go. Wiz don't have a choice once he decides, other than not trading him at all, which is not an option since they want to rebuild. I think it's huge that Beal's agent, Mark Bartelstein, is the father of the Suns new CEO, Josh Bartelstein. If Dad gets this done for his son, Josh owes Mark a big box of Davidoffs and a 50 Year Old Singlemalt for Fathers Day!
Last edited by LVSunsFAN on Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yep. Washington signed up for this when they gave him the no-trade clause.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If this means Beal wants Ayton on the roster in order to come here, then that means you can’t trade him later, either. :P

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:49 am
Yep. Washington signed up for this when they gave him the no-trade clause.
I would add to this "and the Super Max".

When you don't have a lot of high end talent on the roster, the Super Max limits you to having to be extraordinary at the draft AND incredibly lucky to boot. Otherwise, you are essentially stuck in mediocrity every yr, until the contract expires.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:55 am

If this means Beal wants Ayton on the roster in order to come here, then that means you can’t trade him later, either. :P
I don't think that's the case, but I will say that Ayton does have his own NTC until July 15th. It doesn't look good if you promise Beal that Ayton will be around, and then after Beal is here, trade Ayton away. Feels like you're negotiating in bad faith.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:39 am
Split T wrote:
Neither does Washington. If Beal has a no-trade clause and demands a trade to Phoenix, Washington has zero leverage.
They still don’t have to just take what we ask for.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Those are all people reading into the Chris Haynes tweet. I guess you can read that it means Beal wants Ayton on the Suns still, but I’m not sure that’s what he meant.

Point is people are reading into that tweet a lot.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think Beal would kill a deal over DA not being on the team. He's not coming here to play with DA. And if we have a Big 3 of Booker, Beal and KD it's not likely DA will have an opportunity in terms of touches to be an All-Star type of center. He'd have to become a Gobert type of defender in the paint. And given the makeup of the team with Beal, a player with DA's skillset may not even be necessary. You'll have 3 super offensive weapons looking to create, drive and dish to shooters or dump off to bigs. You'll probably be able to platoon at the 5spot and get by with an 8 and 8 defensive, hustle type of center who's best at catching and dunking around the rim; those aren't exactly DA's strengths.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:41 am
Wally_West wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:17 pm
Wonderful news. Let Vogel allow him to become an All-Star center.
"Allow him" Yeah, I see the language. Poor guy is at everybody's mercy. Too bad he can't do anything to help himself.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:16 am
Those are all people reading into the Chris Haynes tweet. I guess you can read that it means Beal wants Ayton on the Suns still, but I’m not sure that’s what he meant.

Point is people are reading into that tweet a lot.
It's funny, I didn't read it that way at all. I read it as Beal wanting Paul traded to Washington as that would be better for them financially. I don't think this is about Ayton whatsoever. He has an opportunity to play with Book and Durant, why would he care if Ayton is on the team or not?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It’s funny that people said we can’t get anything for Chris Paul in a trade, and we might be able to get Beal. :lol: