Page 9 of 10

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:57 pm
by Cap
Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm
I hope you guys are wrong.
Might as well enjoy your hope while it lasts.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:12 pm
by Superbone
Cap wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:57 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm
I hope you guys are wrong.
Might as well enjoy your hope while it lasts.
You sound pretty sure of yourself.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 pm
by Cap
Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:12 pm
Cap wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:57 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm
I hope you guys are wrong.
Might as well enjoy your hope while it lasts.
You sound pretty sure of yourself.
I’m not exactly going out on a limb.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 am
by Mori Chu
Cap: You aren't encouraged by the 2018 and 2019 elections? In both, the Dems made big gains. I think 2020 could be similar, seeing the Democrats retake the White House and the Senate majority.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 am
by Indy
There are only 2 senate seats up for election that are in slightly GOP states: AK and NC. There are 3 on the Dem's side: AL, NH, VA

The GOP has more seats up for re-election (22) compared to the Dems (12), but so many are in places like TX, MT, ID, WY, NE, KS, OK...

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:01 pm
by Mori Chu
The hope would be for a strong Dem Presidential candidate who whoops Trump, and causes a mini-wave that narrowly wins the Dems a Senate majority. Something like 50-50 or 51-49 is a long shot but could happen if Trump becomes historically unpopular with undecideds and moderates.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:14 pm
by Indy
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:01 pm
The hope would be for a strong Dem Presidential candidate who whoops Trump, and causes a mini-wave that narrowly wins the Dems a Senate majority. Something like 50-50 or 51-49 is a long shot but could happen if Trump becomes historically unpopular with undecideds and moderates.
I think those points in your last sentence are what is key. It would be a huge deviation from the norm to flip the Senate. I hope it happens.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:10 pm
by Nodack
Dems might win a bunch and take control over everything again. Then what? Republicans will hate everything they do no matter what and the country will continue to be divided. Large donors and lobbying will have all the control. There are just as many Dems as Cons on the payroll. The debt will continue to skyrocket and all we will do is blame each other. Health care will continue to be way overpriced compared to every other country. The rich will continue to get richer and the poor will continue to get poorer. The system is broken and we citizens have lost all control imo. Nothing short of mass protests are going to make any difference in my humble opinion.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:19 pm
by Indy
Nodack wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:10 pm
Dems might win a bunch and take control over everything again. Then what? Republicans will hate everything they do no matter what and the country will continue to be divided. Large donors and lobbying will have all the control. There are just as many Dems as Cons on the payroll. The debt will continue to skyrocket and all we will do is blame each other. Health care will continue to be way overpriced compared to every other country. The rich will continue to get richer and the poor will continue to get poorer. The system is broken and we citizens have lost all control imo. Nothing short of mass protests are going to make any difference in my humble opinion.
A lot of what you say is true, but this highlighted one is not. Since WWII, only 1 party has been spending more money that we make.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm
by Nodack
Republicans would argue it’s all the Dems. Trump promised to zero the debt before leaving office. Republicans spent 8 years harping on the debt under Obama and now... not a peep.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:54 pm
by Superbone
Nodack wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm
Trump promised to zero the debt before leaving office.
He had better get hoppin'.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 pm
by Flagrant Fowl
Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:54 pm
Nodack wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm
Trump promised to zero the debt before leaving office.
He had better get hoppin'.
He conveniently left out the part where he never leaves office and declares bankruptcy on behalf of the US government.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:39 pm
by Nodack
They started the Impeachment proceedings today. Watching it right now. The Republicans keep insisting that Trump ultimately gave Ukraine the money therefore there can be no quid pro quo or bribery. I haven’t seem the Dems respond to that yet and it is irritating. Trump gave the aid AFTER the whistleblower did his thing and a month AFTER Congress was informed and the story broke. That’s like kidnapping someone for ransom, the police surround your house and you hand over the kidnapped person without getting your money and then claiming there was no crime because you were never paid and gave back the hostage.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:34 pm
by Cap
Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:39 pm
They started the Impeachment proceedings today. Watching it right now. The Republicans keep insisting that Trump ultimately gave Ukraine the money therefore there can be no quid pro quo or bribery. I haven’t seem the Dems respond to that yet and it is irritating. Trump gave the aid AFTER the whistleblower did his thing and a month AFTER Congress was informed and the story broke. That’s like kidnapping someone for ransom, the police surround your house and you hand over the kidnapped person without getting your money and then claiming there was no crime because you were never paid and gave back the hostage.
The logical merits of the argument are obviously irrelevant.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:36 pm
by Mori Chu
The Republican arguments at the hearing today were just red meat for the base to watch on Fox and other right-wing media outlets. No attempt was made by the GOP to discover any truths or make a coherent logical argument. I'd say it's going really badly for them, but that carries the assumption that anybody will care. I hope they will.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm
by Cap
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:36 pm
The Republican arguments at the hearing today were just red meat for the base to watch on Fox and other right-wing media outlets. No attempt was made by the GOP to discover any truths or make a coherent logical argument. I'd say it's going really badly for them, but that carries the assumption that anybody will care. I hope they will.
It’s going about as badly as Trump’s campaign.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 pm
by Superbone
Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:36 pm
The Republican arguments at the hearing today were just red meat for the base to watch on Fox and other right-wing media outlets. No attempt was made by the GOP to discover any truths or make a coherent logical argument. I'd say it's going really badly for them, but that carries the assumption that anybody will care. I hope they will.
It’s going about as badly as Trump’s campaign.
Which one?

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 pm
by Cap
Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:36 pm
The Republican arguments at the hearing today were just red meat for the base to watch on Fox and other right-wing media outlets. No attempt was made by the GOP to discover any truths or make a coherent logical argument. I'd say it's going really badly for them, but that carries the assumption that anybody will care. I hope they will.
It’s going about as badly as Trump’s campaign.
Which one?
The one he won. He and his supporters weren’t making any more sense then than they are now. It doesn’t f*** matter.

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 am
by JJ Slim
I could be wrong but shouldn't this former ambassador have filed a suit in civil court for wrongful termination instead of complaining about being fired to Congress?

Re: Impeachment

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:44 am
by Mori Chu
Anybody else watching the impeachment hearing today? Amb. Yovanovitch's testimony is quite interesting. It sure looks like Trump fired her wrongly for not being willing to go along with his corrupt dealings with Ukraine. And now he's attacking her in real time on Twitter while she tries to testify. Clear witness intimidation. Add it to the list of impeachable offenses.