Social media

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Split T

Re: Social media

Post by Split T »

So we just taking this tweeters word for it? It appears they are just making an assumptionh she was illegal. Do we know she’s illegal? Do we know that is the same Jeffrey Escalante?

The arrest on there was also 2005 when she was 18…it’s been 20 years. Is it possible her residence status has changed?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m also seeing nothing official supporting the statement that she was here illegally. Admittedly I don’t know the process for how this all works, but she was arrested multiple times over the years, why was she not deported if she was here illegally?

The bigger question to me is why was she allowed to purchase a gun. She had criminal convictions, including unlawful possession of a weapon and assault, but it says she legally purchased her assault rifle. That seems to be a problem.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:05 pm
So we just taking this tweeters word for it? It appears they are just making an assumptionh she was illegal. Do we know she’s illegal? Do we know that is the same Jeffrey Escalante?

The arrest on there was also 2005 when she was 18…it’s been 20 years. Is it possible her residence status has changed?
It's unlikely, but it's possible.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Is there any sourcing on this claim that she was illegal but voted? Some woman on twitter with a siren emoji?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I couldn’t find anything. Seems unlikely to me she was illegal

Cap

Post by Cap »

Cap wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:20 pm
The system is broken. A majority of the House wants to pass the bill, but the Speaker alone can kill it.
In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:19 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:51 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:38 pm
Have they presented the bill to read yet? Is it any different than the last bill, that was "agreed" on in the Senate?

The last one wasn't given to read all that was in it, but the details included an amount of 5,000 illegal immigrants per day to be allowed,
If the law allows them, then by definition they are not illegal.
Well, I'm not quite sure that's how it's meant for this.
Right, I keep forgetting. Liberals use “illegal” to mean “He’s violating the law”; conservatives use it to mean “He speaks Spanish.”
This seems to be a case in point. Conservatives labeling her illegal apparently based solely on the fact that she’s originally from El Salvador.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:56 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:20 pm
The system is broken. A majority of the House wants to pass the bill, but the Speaker alone can kill it.
In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:19 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:51 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:38 pm
Have they presented the bill to read yet? Is it any different than the last bill, that was "agreed" on in the Senate?

The last one wasn't given to read all that was in it, but the details included an amount of 5,000 illegal immigrants per day to be allowed,
If the law allows them, then by definition they are not illegal.
Well, I'm not quite sure that's how it's meant for this.
Right, I keep forgetting. Liberals use “illegal” to mean “He’s violating the law”; conservatives use it to mean “He speaks Spanish.”
This seems to be a case in point. Conservatives labeling her illegal apparently based solely on the fact that she’s originally from El Salvador.
I don't think this is baselessly claimed.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That article I posted goes into great detail about the shooter. She was seriously screwed up. A diagnosed schizophrenic. Drug and alcohol abuse. Violent. Spousal abuse. Child abuse. Multiple aliases. Not allowed a gun but had them anyway. Was illegal. Arrested multiple times. Not sure of her sexual orientation. Seemed to go by girl and guy names.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspected-lak ... =107179259
Her son "has been reticent to file the criminal charges against his wife; now his former wife because, as she is not a US citizen," the mother-in-law's affidavit said, and "as she already has had criminal convictions, she would likely be deported if convicted of the 3rd degree felony that stems from filing a fraudulent birth certificate.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not a us citizen doesn’t necessarily mean illegal

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it's a little concerning for journalists and their 1st amendment rights.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm, pretty weird. Not shocking that she was laid off; media companies are bleeding out. But weird to seize her files. I assume that is unusual?
The timing of Herridge’s termination immediately raised suspicions in Washington. She was pursuing stories that were unwelcomed by the Biden White House and many Democratic powerhouses, including the Hur report on Joe Biden’s diminished mental capacity, the Biden corruption scandal and the Hunter Biden laptop. She continued to pursue these stories despite reports of pushback from CBS executives, including CBS News President Ingrid Ciprian-Matthews.

Given the other layoffs and declining revenues, the inclusion of Herridge was defended by the network as a painful but necessary measure. But then something strange happened. The network grabbed Herridge’s notes and files and informed her that it would decide what, if anything, would be turned over to her. The files likely contain confidential material from both her stints at Fox and CBS. Those records, it suggests, are presumptively the property of CBS News.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:00 pm
Hmm, pretty weird. Not shocking that she was laid off; media companies are bleeding out. But weird to seize her files. I assume that is unusual?
The timing of Herridge’s termination immediately raised suspicions in Washington. She was pursuing stories that were unwelcomed by the Biden White House and many Democratic powerhouses, including the Hur report on Joe Biden’s diminished mental capacity, the Biden corruption scandal and the Hunter Biden laptop. She continued to pursue these stories despite reports of pushback from CBS executives, including CBS News President Ingrid Ciprian-Matthews.

Given the other layoffs and declining revenues, the inclusion of Herridge was defended by the network as a painful but necessary measure. But then something strange happened. The network grabbed Herridge’s notes and files and informed her that it would decide what, if anything, would be turned over to her. The files likely contain confidential material from both her stints at Fox and CBS. Those records, it suggests, are presumptively the property of CBS News.
It’s not uncommon for media companies to do this. Just look up “catch and kill stories” and you’d be shocked at some of the crap that’s been snubbed away just because someone doesn’t want someone to look unfavorable.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:00 pm

I think it was a little bit shocking, since she was their best journalist. It sounds like this is definitely not the usual in the US, but in totalitarian countries it is.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Doing layoffs is what totalitarian countries do? In what way did the government involve itself in this firing?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:15 am
Doing layoffs is what totalitarian countries do? In what way did the government involve itself in this firing?
No, not layoffs. It wasn't about the layoffs, it was about seizing all her work, informants or confidential sources. A journalist promises to never divulge their sources. I have a hard time believing that you are being serious with these questions.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know what standard practice is when a journalist leaves a network or newspaper. But how does it relate to totalitarian government? You said, "It sounds like this is definitely not the usual in the US, but in totalitarian countries it is." Did the government have involvement in this firing? If you think so, what is the evidence of that?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It relates because that's what totalitarian countries do when they let go of their journalists. In the US, the journalists should be protected by the 1st amendment.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yep…

Trump ramps up rhetoric on media, calls press ‘the enemy of the people’
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... he-people/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:25 am
Yep…

Trump ramps up rhetoric on media, calls press ‘the enemy of the people’
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... he-people/
If they are going to push lies and fake news to get you frothing at the mouth and into a frenzy, then they are the enemy of the people.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Lol, I rest my case.