Suns News: Week 3 10/29-11/4

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Suns News: Week 3 10/29-11/4

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:50 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:22 pm
Get over McD. He was nowhere near terrible. He hit on Warren, Booker, Jackson, Okobo, Ayton, and Bridges. He whiffed Chriss and Bender. Altogether the team blew at developing talent. Len is a mediocre starter in this league but needed time. He still has potential higher ceiling than Fropez. Anyway, Jones will be good to help bring in free agents. Sarver hopefully won’t fudge it up.
1) How can you say he hit on Okobo and Bridges? We don't even know what the other end of the Bridges equation is yet, much less if either will be solid starters.

2) He hit on Jackson? Really? Josh Jackson? Really? The guy that is a -51 net O vs D ration per 100 possessions? And the worst win share per 48 of anyone in the league that has played more than 30 minutes this season?

3) Alex Len has a higher career ceiling than Robin Lopez?

The Suns biggest problem has been throwing a bunch of youth on the court with both washed veterans and underwhelming coaches and expecting it leading to good player development. Having good veterans and strong systems to play in make youth better. Look at what Pop and Stevens have been doing in this league. Sure players like Booker are going to ball out no matter what but you have players who need direction.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Let's be fair. Kokoskov was a top head coach candidate, just like Hornacek was. He was my choice for the job. I'm surprised that he has not delivered results so far, but I wonder if there will be a switch that flips at some point.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:16 am
Let's be fair. Kokoskov was a top head coach candidate, just like Hornacek was. He was my choice for the job. I'm surprised that he has not delivered results so far, but I wonder if there will be a switch that flips at some point.
Everything he has run for his Euro basket, plus his stint here, Utah, and even Detroit for their ring, had really good PG play. It is the engine that kept the offense going. I love that we are getting so many assisted FGs, instead of our hero ball the last several years. But if we keep asking Josh Jackson and Booker to initiate the offense, we are going to be hurting.

And I am giving some time to Igor on the defense. Focus on one thing, get it down, then move on. Right now, we need to focus on making our offense work, because that is still the name of the game.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:54 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Everything he has run for his Euro basket, plus his stint here, Utah, and even Detroit for their ring, had really good PG play. It is the engine that kept the offense going. I love that we are getting so many assisted FGs, instead of our hero ball the last several years. But if we keep asking Josh Jackson and Booker to initiate the offense, we are going to be hurting.

And I am giving some time to Igor on the defense. Focus on one thing, get it down, then move on. Right now, we need to focus on making our offense work, because that is still the name of the game.
I agree. I think Igor needs experienced or at least good ball handlers/shot creators. This is why I was more of a Dragic fan over Bledsoe and Isiah. McDs biggest sin was messing that up. Jackson should be made to play within his abilities and eventually scaffold his game up. The guy could be a great defender, transition scorer, and slasher. We’re seeing somewhat of a better offensive scheme but with a major lack of facilitators at the 1 spot. I’m not saying much here. I’m just hoping James Jones and Sarver can make a move which results in getting rid of all these turnovers.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:42 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:54 am
virtual9mm wrote:

I agree. I think Igor needs experienced or at least good ball handlers/shot creators. This is why I was more of a Dragic fan over Bledsoe and Isiah. McDs biggest sin was messing that up. Jackson should be made to play within his abilities and eventually scaffold his game up. The guy could be a great defender, transition scorer, and slasher. We’re seeing somewhat of a better offensive scheme but with a major lack of facilitators at the 1 spot. I’m not saying much here. I’m just hoping James Jones and Sarver can make a move which results in getting rid of all these turnovers.
Despite being down by 30, I thought our TOs weren't bad last night. We finished with a TO% of 13.3%, and the Spurs were at 12.9%. League average is around 12.3. But our average is 16.3 (almost a full 1% higher than the 29th team ATL).

It still is amazing to me that over 16% of all our possessions end up in a TO.

Then I look and see that of our top rotation guys, Booker, Canaan, Tyson and Jackson all have a TOV% >20.

Tyson and Jackson are both over 25%. Literally more than 1 out of every 4 times they touch the ball, they turn it over. You can never win like that.

At least with Tyson he has a low usage rate. But Jackson is 24% usage, with a 27% TO rate. Not a good combo. You just can't win if he is touching the ball, and considering he has been a turnstile on defense, when that was supposed to be his strength, well that is why he has could be the worst player so far this year in the entire league.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Time to bench Jackson for a game or 2?

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:27 am
Time to bench Jackson for a game or 2?
He is the biggest net negative on the team, probably the league. So yeah. It would be safer to play Crawford and Anderson more minutes, and that is crazy talk.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The G-League season starts Friday. I am hoping Bender gets assigned there to get him some steady minutes and to see if anything can be done with him.

And the coaching staff needs to figure Josh Jackson out. Right now he looks like he's not an NBA player. Find something he can do well, or sit him.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:41 am
The G-League season starts Friday. I am hoping Bender gets assigned there to get him some steady minutes and to see if anything can be done with him.

And the coaching staff needs to figure Josh Jackson out. Right now he looks like he's not an NBA player. Find something he can do well, or sit him.
He needs more G-league run that Bender.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Net +/- per 48 so far. There are some interesting things, but don't put any stock in the ones where the guy has played 4 games or less.

2 Daniels, Troy SG 9.0
1 Bridges, Mikal SF 4.5
3 Holmes, Richaun PF -3.7
9 Ayton, Deandre C -7.1
6 Booker, Devin SG -7.3
8 Anderson, Ryan PF -9.5
6 Okobo, Elie PG -11.5
10 Canaan, Isaiah PG -14.4
11 Jackson, Josh SF -16.4
4 Bender, Dragan PF -17.1
12 Warren, TJ SF -17.6
15 Ariza, Trevor SF -20.4
13 Chandler, Tyson C -36.2
5 Melton, De'Anthony PG -41.5
14 Crawford, Jamal SG -53.6

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:46 am
Net +/- per 48 so far. There are some interesting things, but don't put any stock in the ones where the guy has played 4 games or less.

2 Daniels, Troy SG 9.0
1 Bridges, Mikal SF 4.5
9 Ayton, Deandre C -7.1
6 Booker, Devin SG -7.3
8 Anderson, Ryan PF -9.5
6 Okobo, Elie PG -11.5
12 Warren, TJ SF -17.6
Is that just pure points +/- on court?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You make some good points about Kokoskov and the team, Indy. Igor didn't become a bad coach overnight. Right now he has a bag of mismatched tools without the experienced floor leader he needs to run his offense.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:46 am

2 Daniels, Troy SG 9.0
1 Bridges, Mikal SF 4.5
9 Ayton, Deandre C -7.1
6 Booker, Devin SG -7.3
8 Anderson, Ryan PF -9.5
6 Okobo, Elie PG -11.5
12 Warren, TJ SF -17.6
What is the number before the name?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm not ready to run Igor out of town, but there are some things a head coach needs to do that assistant's don't do. Assistants only propose strategy and coach basketball skills. Head coaches have to motivate the team deal with discipline issues, manage and lead the people, evaluate the abilities / readiness / growth potential of the players, and choose a strategy that fits the players. Igor has some growing to do.

The player are not good, but some of them are significantly worse than they were last February.

Igor has some growing to do.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think we either have to make a move in the next week or this season will be lost. And, like INF said, maybe that's not the worst thing. I watch all 82 games, but unlike the end of last year when I watched with a pretty detached attitude - the SG/SF combo of Troy Daniels and Danuel House will do that - I find myself getting angry watching this year's team. They made moves and used up cap space to acquire players who were supposed to make us competitive and provide "leadership" this year, but they seem to have given up on the season halfway through the second game. I've never seen such a lack of heart from a team.

Like everyone else, I like watching Ayton and think he's got a really bright future, but his interior defense is so freaking bad. And we have no one to help him there. Ryan Anderson and TJ Warren are not viable defensive frontcourt partners. The fact that we're forced into giving developmental minutes to our rookie guards this early in the season is, again, organizational negligence. The roster is a mismatched mess. Jackson and Bender have both regressed badly. What confidence should we fans have that we have a good player development program in place, especially given what the last few drafts have yielded? Is Robert Sarver paying top dollar for player development coaches or is he looking to squeeze a little more margin out of that role as well? (that was rhetorical). We keep drafting players, not putting them in a position to succeed and then getting upset at the results. Are we going to fuck up Ayton too? We're off to a good start.

What a fucking dumpster fire this team is right now. We can fix things on the periphery, but I think we all know that it's rotten at the core and there's not much we can do about it.

And Chandler needs to go. There are a ton of decent centers and power forwards languishing on benches around the NBA that could give us 5X what he is. We either need to use his contract in a trade or buy him out and let him go to LA. I don't see him playing good soldier and collecting DNP-CDs two weeks into the season.

/rant.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good timing 'Bazz.

Gambo goes off on the Suns. Do yourselves a favor and start at 1:30 so you don't have to hear about Gambo's young wife getting offered candy because she looks so young.

https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/novem ... -1-6-start

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:44 pm
I think we either have to make a move in the next week or this season will be lost. And, like INF said, maybe that's not the worst thing. I watch all 82 games, but unlike the end of last year when I watched with a pretty detached attitude - the SG/SF combo of Troy Daniels and Danuel House will do that - I find myself getting angry watching this year's team. They made moves and used up cap space to acquire players who were supposed to make us competitive and provide "leadership" this year, but they seem to have given up on the season halfway through the second game. I've never seen such a lack of heart from a team.

Like everyone else, I like watching Ayton and think he's got a really bright future, but his interior defense is so freaking bad. And we have no one to help him there. Ryan Anderson and TJ Warren are not viable defensive frontcourt partners. The fact that we're forced into giving developmental minutes to our rookie guards this early in the season is, again, organizational negligence. The roster is a mismatched mess. Jackson and Bender have both regressed badly. What confidence should we fans have that we have a good player development program in place, especially given what the last few drafts have yielded? Is Robert Sarver paying top dollar for player development coaches or is he looking to squeeze a little more margin out of that role as well? (that was rhetorical). We keep drafting players, not putting them in a position to succeed and then getting upset at the results. Are we going to f*** up Ayton too? We're off to a good start.

What a f*** dumpster fire this team is right now. We can fix things on the periphery, but I think we all know that it's rotten at the core and there's not much we can do about it.

And Chandler needs to go. There are a ton of decent centers and power forwards languishing on benches around the NBA that could give us 5X what he is. We either need to use his contract in a trade or buy him out and let him go to LA. I don't see him playing good soldier and collecting DNP-CDs two weeks into the season.

/rant.
How sick is it that your avatar is more appropriate this year than last year?! You're right. Watching this team makes me angry!

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm with Gambo, except I put top 4 protection on the '19 pick and try to go get Kemba or Rozier. Then, on Dec 15th, I trade for Love with another package of some sort.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Be patient fellow suns fans. This is the league where sucking is rewarded and there is no relegation. That is why i don’t get angry and watch every game from start to finish. The Roster is a mess right now and there isn’t an easy fix. (Thank you McD) Thank god a lot of the dead weight will be gone next year.

Regarding Igor and his system. It isn’t the first time in the last few years that we heard the players don’t get the system (and i mean Defense more so than Offense) and that the Coach needs to simplyfie whatever he wanted to institute. That comes with youth and inexperience and not really beeing any good at things. (like fundamentals, passing, comunication, shooting) This time I don’t want him to simplyfie anything. Just play them kids until they get better at it. Insist in making progress every game and be patient when they make mistakes. And stay with this group of kids and commit to them. Don’t try 50 different Gleaguers. Consistency is what we need this season, even if it means to loose a lot of games. I say we stick with Igor until the season is over.

We still can enjoy Booker and Ayton and we will win some games along the way. Take one step at a time.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:51 pm
Good timing 'Bazz.

Gambo goes off on the Suns. Do yourselves a favor and start at 1:30 so you don't have to hear about Gambo's young wife getting offered candy because she looks so young.

https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/novem ... -1-6-start
I hope I didn't sound that hysterical in your mind when you read my post.

But I agree with him that Ariza has looked like he's been interested in nothing but cashing his checks twice a month since he got here.