Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by O_Gardino »

gosuns wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:23 pm
Nr 6, Tyler, Jackson, Melton and Warren for Hayward, Smart, Nr. 14 and Nr. 20.

Targets at 14 and 20: Hachimura, Clarke, Alexander-Walker, Bol Bol, Washington (other suggestions?)
I don't think either team does that.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 am
Suns out: #6, Meth, Jackson, Warren, #32.
Suns in: Conley, #12, Marvin Williams.

MEM out: Conley.
MEM in: #6, Meth, Jackson.

CHA out: #12, Marvin Williams.
CHA in: Warren, #32.

Memphis gets a nice pick for their borderline allstar PG, plus a free trial on Jackson (who at this point is just salary filler to me). Also, Meth is not a bad guy to have on a young team, as he showed here and in MIA. Hard to see any team beating such offer for Conley (maybe the likes of CHI, BOS, DET could try, but I don't see how they outbid a #6 pick).

Charlotte gets much needed offensive help from a young starter on a good contract, who also has ties with the state. To me that's worth the #12 pick (I confess I value TJ Warren much more than basically anyone). They also give up Marvin, a veteran that while serviceable, probably doesn't have a future on that team. Not that he'd have a long term path in PHX, but at least he can play PF; would rather have him than other expiring stuff from CHA like Biyombo or MKG. I pay the #32 in consideration to that, and to mitigate the bad taste the Hornets could have in their mouth after giving up the lotto pick. Could be willing to send them some extra draft asset/Melton (would want to keep MIL pick and Okobo, but I respect their angle if they want to have him to learn from Parker).
I'd probably do it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think if this is the list and they aren't trading the 6th pick for a better vet PG, then it seems that they are targeting Garland or White. Does anyone else see this?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sorry, I think I may have asked this before, but who is "Meth" and why is that his nickname?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 am
Sorry, I think I may have asked this before, but who is "Meth" and why is that his nickname?
It's Tyler Johnson, and it's because his pictures make him look like Curry on Meth. So the full nickname is "Meth Curry".
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:44 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:29 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:56 pm
We have had enough experience with players that. Can’t shoot. #1 priority at the 4 should be a 3 point shot. It’s mandatory next to Ayton.

And he does not have the touch. His form is ugly like Josh’s and Marion’s. Don’t want another one of those.
It's not even close to #1 in a priority for a draft pick. Defense is more of a priority to help Ayton, since opposing PFs killed the Suns. And, we know that Ayton is improving his shot, so it's not AS important. Also, why put all the investment into development and shooting coaches, they didn't have before, if you can't trust them to do their jobs and improve the shooting on the team?
You’re entitled to your own opinion, but IMO you’re wrong :D

Look at the teams in the finals. At any time, they have 4 players capable of stretching the floor at a time. Ayton will only be a great player as a dominant big man in the paint. Relying on him to stay outside because the role player 4 can’t stretch completely takes away his strength and our advantage. That’s just poor team construction and utilization of assets.

You have to play around your stars, not mold your stars to play around your role players.

Our 4 first of all must have range. Second is defense. Everything else is gravy.
This team's #1 priority is a GOOD Point Guard!

As far as PF...we need a Cliff Robinson clone...not sure who that would be...but that's the style we need next to Ayton...

VT

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:07 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 am
Suns out: #6, Meth, Jackson, Warren, #32.
Suns in: Conley, #12, Marvin Williams.

MEM out: Conley.
MEM in: #6, Meth, Jackson.

CHA out: #12, Marvin Williams.
CHA in: Warren, #32.

Memphis gets a nice pick for their borderline allstar PG, plus a free trial on Jackson (who at this point is just salary filler to me). Also, Meth is not a bad guy to have on a young team, as he showed here and in MIA. Hard to see any team beating such offer for Conley (maybe the likes of CHI, BOS, DET could try, but I don't see how they outbid a #6 pick).

Charlotte gets much needed offensive help from a young starter on a good contract, who also has ties with the state. To me that's worth the #12 pick (I confess I value TJ Warren much more than basically anyone). They also give up Marvin, a veteran that while serviceable, probably doesn't have a future on that team. Not that he'd have a long term path in PHX, but at least he can play PF; would rather have him than other expiring stuff from CHA like Biyombo or MKG. I pay the #32 in consideration to that, and to mitigate the bad taste the Hornets could have in their mouth after giving up the lotto pick. Could be willing to send them some extra draft asset/Melton (would want to keep MIL pick and Okobo, but I respect their angle if they want to have him to learn from Parker).
I'd probably do it.
I’d do it. Don’t think Memphis will

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So Willie Green's gonna be our lead assistant? K....

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah "Meth" and "Bumpy" are names people gave him and they are awful. I think we resort to using them so we don't have to get confused between TJ Warren and Tyler Johnson. It sucks to have to type more than 4-5 letters when referring to players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Was that a complaint, Shel?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 am
Yeah "Meth" and "Bumpy" are names people gave him and they are awful. I think we resort to using them so we don't have to get confused between TJ Warren and Tyler Johnson. It sucks to have to type more than 4-5 letters when referring to players.
How about “Tyler”?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:27 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 am
How about “Tyler”?
Even “Ty” is unambiguous, for the truly lazy.

carey

Post by carey »

I like Bumpy. I think it was originally about his acne but to me it's about his defense cause he actually plays some.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:18 pm
I like Bumpy. I think it was originally about his acne but to me it's about his defense cause he actually plays some.
Even if you mean something good by it now, that isn't where it came from. It is making fun of his acne.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No, not a complaint. More curiosity to see how the rest of the staff is built out. I think Steve Blake's name has been mentioned as well.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:41 pm
No, not a complaint. More curiosity to see how the rest of the staff is built out. I think Steve Blake's name has been mentioned as well.
Yeah i think we have heard Blake's name a bit. I was assuming our lead assistant would be someone with more coaching experience than 3 years.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo says it’s very unlikely Richaun Holmes returns.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So this happened:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 pm
That's the worst news since we drew the #6 pick.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:41 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 pm
That's the worst news since we drew the #6 pick.
It sounds like the Suns want a backup big who can shoot and will simply move on from Holmes.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.