Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Gamb0 keeps saying no way we sign Dlo
That means he's the Suns target.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:48 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:55 am
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 am
I could honestly care less what we get for TJ. Just move him and his salary already. He's useless to us.
He is only "useless" to us because we have done such a s*** job assembling a roster. You should be able to use a guy that shoots 40% from three and can score 18-20 points a game in the flow of the offense. Even if he doesn't do other things well. But he shouldn't be your 2nd or 3rd best player.
Except you forgot the part where he can’t stay on the floor.
He’s great at falling to the floor though.
Might be top 3 all time at that. Especially if you count hitting your head on the court when you fall.
:D
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think Sarver's interested in spending all the capspace this offseason.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Post draft thoughts:

* Cam Johnson is a one dimensional player. He shoots threes, that's it. He's an average defender, and a definite WTF at 11. He would have been available at 20, and maybe even 30. Waste of a draft pick.

* Saric is a terrible defender and rebounder. He does one thing well: he shoots threes. That's it.

* Warren was a very efficient offensive player on a good contract. And we gave up a high 2nd round pick (that could have been used on Cam potentially) to dump him. This trade rates an F.

* I like Ty Jerome. Reminds me of Tomas Satoransky or Jeff Hornacek a bit. Terrible defender. Went about where he was supposed to. Fills the exact same role as Tyus Johnson, though. More on this later.

* I don't like Baynes. He costs us way too much cap space when we still don't have a PG and our PF situation (Saric) is still terrible. Back up centers can be found at the vet minimum.

* Josh Jackson is still on the team eating $7M in salary space.

* We added a project PG, a SG who duplicates a player we already have, a 3rd or 4th SF we drafted way too high, a PF who ranked 68th out of 80 PFs in RPM, and a back up center who costs 4 times as much as our last back up center. We went into the night with no playable PGs or PFs, and emerged with one guy who you MIGHT want to play a few minutes as a back up PF on a .500 team, no real gan in salary cap space, and gave up our 2nd leading scorer and best 3 point shooter. This was an epic fail without additional moves.

* Speaking of which... Ty Jerome and a lack of a starting PG makes me thing we're stretching and waiving T. Johnson.

* Gambo keep dropping big hints that we're chasing Brogdon. In order to do that, and sign a second PF, we have to stretch and waive T. Johnson, and/or send out Jackson for cap space. The latter will likely cost us a 1st round draft pick. In other words, we're stuck with the idiot.

Grade for the night: D- if they make no more moves. If they make space and add Brogdon / DLo and a good PF (Theis?), it becomes a B+.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:34 pm
* Saric is a terrible defender and rebounder. He does one thing well: he shoots threes. That's it.
Nope. Above average ball-handler, has passing skills, versatile scorer. He'll improve as rebounder.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Nope. Above average ball-handler, has passing skills, versatile scorer. He'll improve as rebounder.
Actually, his rebounding rate has gone down since his rookie season, and stayed low but consistent since.

His assist rate is bang-on average for PFs, not good. It is not a thing he does "well".

He's not a "versatile scorer" either. Over half his points come from threes, and he averages 1.8 FTA per game in 24 MPG with the Wolves.

I stand by my initial statement.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I’m confused. We have how much to offer now? I thought I read $14 million. Which is what Oubre probably will get. And there’s still no PG in sight.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:50 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Actually, his rebounding rate has gone down since his rookie season, and stayed low but consistent since.

His assist rate is bang-on average for PFs, not good. It is not a thing he does "well".

He's not a "versatile scorer" either. Over half his points come from threes, and he averages 1.8 FTA per game in 24 MPG with the Wolves.

I stand by my initial statement.

He is a versatile scorer. He can put the ball on the floor and drive. He can post up.

And I wasn't talking about his assists numbers. I was talking about the actual passing I HAVE SEEN IN A GAME.

You aren't going to be able to assess him just by looking at a spread sheet. His minutes have been up and down, his role has changed, and he has switched teams. He has been a guy that has flashed, but hasn't sustained much for extended period of time. I'm banking on him thriving in a defined role, with steady minutes, and playing well off of Booker and Ayton.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:54 pm
I’m confused. We have how much to offer now? I thought I read $14 million. Which is what Oubre probably will get. And there’s still no PG in sight.
The $14 million includes Oubre’s cap hold.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Fun fact: in 10 postseason games in 2017-18, Saric averaged 17 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.5 topg.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 pm
Fun fact: in 10 postseason games in 2017-18, Saric averaged 17 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.5 topg.
I'm with you. I think getting Saric in that deal is being underrated by a lot of people.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Saric is not worthless, but value wise PHX essentially traded #6 for him and a low 1stR/high 2nd.

It will come down to how well Culver does (or your available kid of preference). That's it, if you disregard how they used the other assets that could have easily landed PHX Cam Johnson.

To me, this move is a mismanagement when analyzed in the context of a supposed plan. Why? Because have Booker-Bridges-Oubre-Saric-Ayton. then Cam, Jerome and Lacque. Flawed as defense is half the game.

If you stretch Meth-Jackson-Baynes-Okobo-Melton you are looking at around $30M in cap space. Then you have the cap room exception (close to $5M) and minimum contracts.

With those resources you need to find a starter at PG and size/athleticism at backup PF and C, assuming you actually intend to play the rookies. If you don't/can't, there is just no bench and things get even more difficult.

We are in a worse now than before the draft. Amazing feat, Jones.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

so cam johnson is 6-9, and shoots 40% on threes and 81% on FT during his 4 yrs in college. He's going to be a good complementary role player.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I really liked Saric in Philly, not sure why dropped off so much in Minny but he's a baller. He's what we were hoping Bender would be.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:41 am
I really liked Saric in Philly, not sure why dropped off so much in Minny but he's a baller. He's what we were hoping Bender would be.
Because he was in minny.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Saric is not worthless, but value wise PHX essentially traded #6 for him and a low 1stR/high 2nd.

It will come down to how well Culver does (or your available kid of preference). That's it, if you disregard how they used the other assets that could have easily landed PHX Cam Johnson.

To me, this move is a mismanagement when analyzed in the context of a supposed plan. Why? Because have Booker-Bridges-Oubre-Saric-Ayton. then Cam, Jerome and Lacque. Flawed as defense is half the game.

If you stretch Meth-Jackson-Baynes-Okobo-Melton you are looking at around $30M in cap space. Then you have the cap room exception (close to $5M) and minimum contracts.

With those resources you need to find a starter at PG and size/athleticism at backup PF and C, assuming you actually intend to play the rookies. If you don't/can't, there is just no bench and things get even more difficult.

We are in a worse now than before the draft. Amazing feat, Jones.
I am not defending yesterday, but would you have preferred we stand pat, take Culver/White at 6, take a flyer at 32, and move into FA? Would that be a better position than we are now?

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 pm
That's a very limited sample.

The idea that he moves the ball well isn't born out in his Offensive RPM or his assist rates. The idea isn't borne out by the shots he takes or hits.

BlaCkAdDa

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

ShelC wrote:I really liked Saric in Philly, not sure why dropped off so much in Minny but he's a baller. He's what we were hoping Bender would be.
I was going to say the same thing.. He's the bender we always wanted.

Cap

Post by Cap »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:41 am
ShelC wrote:I really liked Saric in Philly, not sure why dropped off so much in Minny but he's a baller. He's what we were hoping Bender would be.
After yesterday, the bender I want involves lots and lots of alcohol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 am
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:41 am
After yesterday, the bender I want involves lots and lots of alcohol.
All we can do really is have a wait and see attitude. Whom is (are) the big FA(s) we bring in? Jones is most definitely concentrating on the present rather than the future of this team.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."