Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
BlaCkAdDa

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I want it to happen just because it would be exciting

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That billboard shows Suns fans are less reluctant to spend money than the actual owner of the team.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 pm
Lol

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1144344596811411457

We’re going to speak it into existence

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This is great:

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:46 pm
That billboard shows Suns fans are less reluctant to spend money than the actual owner of the team.

Because it's not real money to them.

I would not describe Sarver as cheap when it comes to players, I would say he's has three shortcomings when it comes to spending money -

1 - The Suns didn't go "all in" when they had a chance to win a title, they decided to avoid the luxury tax and made a terrible trade to dump Kurt Thomas to do so.

2 - The Suns haven't spent wisely on free agents.

3 - He's skimped when it comes to hiring coaches and for the front office.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:46 pm

Because it's not real money to them.

I would not describe Sarver as cheap when it comes to players, I would say he's has three shortcomings when it comes to spending money -

1 - The Suns didn't go "all in" when they had a chance to win a title, they decided to avoid the luxury tax and made a terrible trade to dump Kurt Thomas to do so.

2 - The Suns haven't spent wisely on free agents.

3 - He's skimped when it comes to hiring coaches and for the front office.
1 - He was too cheap.

2 - He's stupid.

3 - He's been too cheap.

Sounds cheap to me.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think he's more stupid than cheap. Stupid in that he has to much ego to admit he doesn't understand that he's not qualified to make personnel decisions.

I think part of the reason he hires inexperienced and inexpensive coaches and GMs is because the good ones don't want to work for him. So in part it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Penny-foolish, pound-foolish.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm about to say F it, if DLo wants to come to Phx and someone like NY or Sac strike out, I send an unprotected 1st next year to them to take Tyler, Josh, and Melton's contracts, which are all expiring. Then go after DLo, Beverly and one of Thad Young or Kleber or Vonleh.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm
I'm about to say F it, if DLo wants to come to Phx and someone like NY or Sac strike out, I send an unprotected 1st next year to them to take Tyler, Josh, and Melton's contracts, which are all expiring. Then go after DLo, Beverly and one of Thad Young or Kleber or Vonleh.
Resist the urge. Trading an unprotected first next season, with any iteration of the roster you just proposed would be asinine.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Do we also have the MLE? Or is that when you're over the cap?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 pm
In2ition wrote:
Resist the urge. Trading an unprotected first next season, with any iteration of the roster you just proposed would be asinine.
Why? At best it would likely be the 11h pick, which we just wasted this year. I would totally do it, as we probably get to the playoffs and it’s not even a lottery pick.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

In2ition wrote:
Add Okobo to the trade too. Then you have 43 million in cap space. 53 million if you renounce Oubre.

But the Suns refuse to make bold moves like that.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That's not bold; it's reckless.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm
Shabazz wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Why? At best it would likely be the 11h pick, which we just wasted this year. I would totally do it, as we probably get to the playoffs and it’s not even a lottery pick.
Lottery protect it and I'd do it. What gets me riled up is that the Suns could have managed their assets better and had a 1st rounder to throw in. I like Cam Johnson more every day but I wish the Suns could have moved down just a bit.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
In2ition wrote:
It's not reckless or asinine. It's about trying to win, and at some point now you need to stop relying on 1st round picks. I'm not saying to do it every year, but if it's just 1 yr, you can keep the rest going forward and try to build something. There are a ton of young players on the roster still, but here you make a commitment to push forward, instead of always looking for what the 1st rounders give you. Even if it's Corey Joseph instead of Beverly, you have a decent backup and still have players you are developing.

Look, you are 2 & 3 deep at every position. The bench would have been competitive with the starting group for most of the season last year. Maybe even better. Sometimes you have to make ballsy decisions. You can't tell me this isn't a vastly improved team.

Russell/Joseph/Jerome
Booker/Johnson
Oubre/Bridges
Young/Saric
Ayton/Baynes/Holmes
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think not wanting to throw away a lottery pick is the same as "relying on 1st round picks."
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm
Shabazz wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I would agree with you.

At some point you need players, not assets.

With Russell on board we are not in play for a top 5 pick and I’d take him over a #11 pick any day

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If we also renounced Oubre we could replace him with Kawhi and replace Tyler with Russell. I would throw in multiple unprotected picks, if we knew we could get two max free agents.

jonh

Post by jonh »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 pm
I don't think not wanting to throw away a lottery pick is the same as "relying on 1st round picks."
You could make the argument that we threw away a lottery pick this year, so I wouldnt consider it out of the realm of possibility. Its apparent Jones does not value high potential as much as current productivity (unless you're from Gonzaga).