Suns News: Weeks 16-18 2/10-3/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:14 am
I think the rest will be good for Rubio. He was worn out. I want to see if he has a bit of a second wind this season after over a week off.
I am curious when they will get Kaminsky back. I thought his timetable was 4-6 weeks, but he will be at 7 weeks when they come back.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I feel bad for Monty. We all want to see his rotations in action and most of the time he has had to play whatever bodies were healthy enough to play. “Let’s see, I have one third string center and no power forwards. I guess it will be small ball tonight.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:57 am
I feel bad for Monty. We all want to see his rotations in action and most of the time he has had to play whatever bodies were healthy enough to play. “Let’s see, I have one third string center and no power forwards. I guess it will be small ball tonight.”
No doubt, it puts a strain on what he's trying to do and developing that consistent role for each guy. The Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Ayton lineup has been very good, but not having a backup PG, SG, a traditional PF or backup Center puts a ceiling on what can be done in a game. When the bench immediately starts to give up the lead or makes matters worse, it's tough to get any traction in the standings.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:57 am
No doubt, it puts a strain on what he's trying to do and developing that consistent role for each guy. The Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Ayton lineup has been very good, but not having a backup PG, SG, a traditional PF or backup Center puts a ceiling on what can be done in a game. When the bench immediately starts to give up the lead or makes matters worse, it's tough to get any traction in the standings.
According to INF, it doesn't make a difference. ;)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Big section on Ayton's defensive improvement in here:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/19 ... nteresting

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:30 am
Big section on Ayton's defensive improvement in here:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/19 ... nteresting
Thanks for the link. Good stuff!

For all the peeps who complain every time they hear this criticism:
he’s averaging just 2.9 box-outs per 36 minutes of floor time, 61st out of 64 centers who’ve logged at least 500 minutes this season
That's the facts, Jacks.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:56 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I think the rest will be good for Rubio. He was worn out. I want to see if he has a bit of a second wind this season after over a week off.
I am curious when they will get Kaminsky back. I thought his timetable was 4-6 weeks, but he will be at 7 weeks when they come back.
A stress fracture can be tricky. It wasn’t a heavy impact injury that just needs time to heal. This has been a chronic issue over time just from wear and tear. I think any attempt at a timetable was purely an educational guess. He may come back in a week or be out the rest of the year. Could be career threatening in the worst case.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:57 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
A stress fracture can be tricky. It wasn’t a heavy impact injury that just needs time to heal. This has been a chronic issue over time just from wear and tear. I think any attempt at a timetable was purely an educational guess. He may come back in a week or be out the rest of the year. Could be career threatening in the worst case.
Dang, I hope it's not the worst case. Thanks

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Not to be cold, but the impact that would have on this franchise would be negligible. Would suck for him, though.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 pm
For all the peeps who complain every time they hear this criticism:
he’s averaging just 2.9 box-outs per 36 minutes of floor time, 61st out of 64 centers who’ve logged at least 500 minutes this season
That's the facts, Jacks.
Boxing out comes from understanding the game. It has almost nothing to do with physical size or talent.

I want to believe even the most ardent Ayton truthers recognize that his awareness, hoops IQ, etc. is the most deficient part of his game.

I finally got around to listening to the Book of Basketball podcast with Steve Nash. At one point, he talks about how Amare didn't read the game well until late in his career. So I guess Ayton just needs Steve Nash to make him look good and all will be well in the Suns universe.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Honestly, the Suns are better off with Kaminsky on the bench in street clothes. This team isn't making the playoffs, so don't waste minutes on a guy who has little to nothing left to develop. Even more importantly, he sucks more often than not. It's a wise strategy to play 5 guys who don't suck at every opportunity.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:06 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Not to be cold, but the impact that would have on this franchise would be negligible. Would suck for him, though.
It wouldn't be much, but every plus is just that, a plus and a help to the team at this point.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:46 pm
Honestly, the Suns are better off with Kaminsky on the bench in street clothes. This team isn't making the playoffs, so don't waste minutes on a guy who has little to nothing left to develop. Even more importantly, he sucks more often than not. It's a wise strategy to play 5 guys who don't suck at every opportunity.
I just don't agree with this. I think winning, no matter if they make the playoffs or not is important. Kaminsky playing the role he was supposed to play this year would be plus to this team. I don't agree with packing it in and count it as development of someone else. I could care less about developing Chieck Diallo or Tariq Owens right now. The team misses Frank's shooting and he has had some savy moves. Now, I didn't enjoy seeing him miss layups at the rate he did, but I think he probably shoots much better as the backup PF.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:55 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:46 pm
I just don't agree with this. I think winning, no matter if they make the playoffs or not is important. Kaminsky playing the role he was supposed to play this year would be plus to this team. I don't agree with packing it in and count it as development of someone else. I could care less about developing Chieck Diallo or Tariq Owens right now. The team misses Frank's shooting and he has had some savy moves. Now, I didn't enjoy seeing him miss layups at the rate he did, but I think he probably shoots much better as the backup PF.
You and I are on the same page.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Depends who you think has more of a future with the franchise, Kaminsky or Bolden.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I stand by the crux of my point; Frank Kaminsky isn't good and it's a big problem if he's on the court for more than 5 minutes in a game.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

“The Suns are outscoring opponents by a healthy 5.1 points per 100 possessions when Ayton and Booker share the court; they’re an ass-kicking plus-12 per 100 when the two franchise centerpieces are flanked by pace-setting point guard Ricky Rubio and emerging 3-and-D stud Mikal Bridges. “

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

emerging 3-and-D stud Mikal Bridges
:lol:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:45 pm
It’s not a joke. Why do you find it necessary to downplay the Suns’ players so frequently?

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:10 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:45 pm
It’s not a joke. Why do you find it necessary to downplay the Suns’ players so frequently?
A career 33% 3P shooter is not a 3-D guy. He is certainly making his presence known on D, and building a reputation there, but not on the 3 part of 3-D. That is especially true when you only take 3 threes a game and play 25 minutes a night.