NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Split T »

Meyers Leonard is an interesting target that I didn’t realize was a free agent. He’s been over 42% from 3 for 3 years in a row now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:43 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:26 am
Funny how our minds work. 'Paying to move TJ Warren was not a big deal because we had a logjam at forward'. Then, while still lackong a starter PF and a backup PG, 'let's spend our FA money on this forward'.
I think Cam might be our starting PF
Could be, but I wouldn't be too confident. In any case, I am interested in adding a clear upgrade at PF, even if Cam (or Oubre) spends some time there. Woods would be the first option, but if he can't be had, I'd look at Millsap. I know he is old, but Millsap could be exactly the kind of player we need to raise the floor of this team (the ceiling is a matter of Booker, Ayon and Bridges). Grant would be my #3 target.
What would you do about guard off the bench? Do you think we could get one of those 4’s and have enough money to go get another backcourt guy? We could get lucky in the draft, but that would worry me if we don’t get Haliburton. He’s the one guy I think we could just plug into the rotation.

Are you a no on bringing back Saric?
Yeah, my dream offseason (while trying to keep it realistic) would be like this:

1.- Trade up for Haliburton (say #10 and 2021 1stR with light protection).

2.- I also have real interest in Jalen Smith (projected anywhere from mid 1stR to late 20s or ever a high 2ndR) and wouldn't heistate to spend future draft stock to add him, even in a scenario like the one above where we have already used a future pick. He'd be a great prospect to have, especially if the team adds a veteran PF like Millsap to teach him the ropes.

3.- Sign Millsap.

4.- Sign Trier.

As for Saric, yeah, he wouldn't be on my plans unless he took a ridiculously cheap contract (under the MLE, which probably is not going to happen). I was not impressed before the trade and he has not done enough to convince me he is worth the opportunity cost. I believe he serves a better purpose on a bonafide good team that doesn't need a lot from him.

Of course, all this could be played in a different way. Like, trade up for Toppin. Then use the cap space for FVV. But this scenario is more risky: Toppin mindset/IQ, alongside Ayton, could mean too much frustration for me as a fan, and too much work for the coaches. And if I am honest, I have my doubts about giving FVV a huge contract as I don't know how he'd respond if out of a contender environment.
Ya I’d consider bringing Saric back at about 8 million a year, but have no idea if that’s feasible. What do you think Millsap will get in a contract? Will be curious to see who Denver tries to retain amongst the Millsap, Grant, and even Plumlee group.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:45 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:43 am

I think Cam might be our starting PF
Could be, but I wouldn't be too confident. In any case, I am interested in adding a clear upgrade at PF, even if Cam (or Oubre) spends some time there. Woods would be the first option, but if he can't be had, I'd look at Millsap. I know he is old, but Millsap could be exactly the kind of player we need to raise the floor of this team (the ceiling is a matter of Booker, Ayon and Bridges). Grant would be my #3 target.
What would you do about guard off the bench? Do you think we could get one of those 4’s and have enough money to go get another backcourt guy? We could get lucky in the draft, but that would worry me if we don’t get Haliburton. He’s the one guy I think we could just plug into the rotation.

Are you a no on bringing back Saric?
Yeah, my dream offseason (while trying to keep it realistic) would be like this:

1.- Trade up for Haliburton (say #10 and 2021 1stR with light protection).

2.- I also have real interest in Jalen Smith (projected anywhere from mid 1stR to late 20s or ever a high 2ndR) and wouldn't heistate to spend future draft stock to add him, even in a scenario like the one above where we have already used a future pick. He'd be a great prospect to have, especially if the team adds a veteran PF like Millsap to teach him the ropes.

3.- Sign Millsap.

4.- Sign Trier.

As for Saric, yeah, he wouldn't be on my plans unless he took a ridiculously cheap contract (under the MLE, which probably is not going to happen). I was not impressed before the trade and he has not done enough to convince me he is worth the opportunity cost. I believe he serves a better purpose on a bonafide good team that doesn't need a lot from him.

Of course, all this could be played in a different way. Like, trade up for Toppin. Then use the cap space for FVV. But this scenario is more risky: Toppin mindset/IQ, alongside Ayton, could mean too much frustration for me as a fan, and too much work for the coaches. And if I am honest, I have my doubts about giving FVV a huge contract as I don't know how he'd respond if out of a contender environment.
Ya I’d consider bringing Saric back at about 8 million a year, but have no idea if that’s feasible. What do you think Millsap will get in a contract? Will be curious to see who Denver tries to retain amongst the Millsap, Grant, and even Plumlee group.
If Millsap doesn't go to a contender on the cheap, I beliwvw he can pull 15M per on a three year contract. MLE and a half, so to speak.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:43 pm
Meyers Leonard is an interesting target that I didn’t realize was a free agent. He’s been over 42% from 3 for 3 years in a row now.
Great shooter for a big man, but too soft. A better Kaminsky, but doesn't really solve our big man needs (I am notnsure he is a PF anymore).

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d be pretty worried about giving him those years. 1 year at 15 million I could see, but I wouldn’t do 3

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:43 pm
Great shooter for a big man, but too soft. A better Kaminsky, but doesn't really solve our big man needs (I am notnsure he is a PF anymore).
Ya that’s fair. He fits along Bam because Bam is a stud and can handle the paint.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
I’d be pretty worried about giving him those years. 1 year at 15 million I could see, but I wouldn’t do 3
I don't think you are grabbing his attention with 15M. That's 5M less than two years of MLE. A nice compromise could be a partial guarantee on the last year, but despite his age, the guy still delivers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Split T wrote:
I don't think you are grabbing his attention with 15M. That's 5M less than two years of MLE. A nice compromise could be a partial guarantee on the last year, but despite his age, the guy still delivers.
I’d just be worried about a drop off. He’s stayed steady, but it’s gonna go at some point. I think I’d feel more comfortable giving Grant a multi year deal.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:07 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
I’d just be worried about a drop off. He’s stayed steady, but it’s gonna go at some point. I think I’d feel more comfortable giving Grant a multi year deal.
That's a legitimate concern, but essentially you are betting on him lasting two seasons and then becoming a trading chip as an expiring. I'd take the odds when the reward is a perfect fit on and off the court.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t hate it, I’m pretty optimistic by nature, so I’d get on board.

Rubio/Booker/Bridges/Millsap/Ayton with Payne/Haliburton/Oubre/Johnson off the bench.

Think you probably gotta play Paul as the backup 5 to get everyone minutes. Or lots of Bridges at the 2.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Split T wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
That's a legitimate concern, but essentially you are betting on him lasting two seasons and then becoming a trading chip as an expiring. I'd take the odds when the reward is a perfect fit on and off the court.
I would quote this same thing back to you on Millsap: I believe he serves a better purpose on a bonafide good team that doesn't need a lot from him.

Despite him being an all-star every year in Atlanta, he seems to be a much better contributor in Denver.

If we had a good starters at all positions and needed a first big off the bench, I would absolutely risk that type of contract for him. But we seem to still be shopping for a legit starting PF and not sure a 35-37 year old Millsap will be that guy.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm
I wouldn’t hate it, I’m pretty optimistic by nature, so I’d get on board.

Rubio/Booker/Bridges/Millsap/Ayton with Payne/Haliburton/Oubre/Johnson off the bench.

Think you probably gotta play Paul as the backup 5 to get everyone minutes. Or lots of Bridges at the 2.
Or little to no Payne if he comes down to earth. Would like to keep Carter as the third PG. An extra big would be needed, true (room exception available for that).

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think throwing money at Milsap is too big of a risk. That could be Tyson Chandler 2.0.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:38 pm
I think throwing money at Milsap is too big of a risk. That could be Tyson Chandler 2.0.
Chandler found himself 'playing' for a tanking team. That's not going to happen in this case.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:19 am
I wonder if he’s sign quickly if we gave him something like 8 million per for 3 years.
Ugh, that is a little much for me, unless the last two years are non-guaranteed.
Split T wrote:
I’d like to bring Carter back as well as a 3rd pg. He plays hard, his defense in certain situations is valuable, and he can hit spot up 3’s. He’s still just a minimum guy though.
I prefer Shaq Harrison.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Chandler was good enough when the team was good and trying to win.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:56 pm
Split T wrote:
I wonder if he’s sign quickly if we gave him something like 8 million per for 3 years.
Ugh, that is a little much for me, unless the last two years are non-guaranteed.
Split T wrote:
I’d like to bring Carter back as well as a 3rd pg. He plays hard, his defense in certain situations is valuable, and he can hit spot up 3’s. He’s still just a minimum guy though.
I prefer Shaq Harrison.
Wow. All D and no O. Pass. At least that's what I remember. Maybe he got better.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:17 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Split T wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
I would quote this same thing back to you on Millsap: I believe he serves a better purpose on a bonafide good team that doesn't need a lot from him.

Despite him being an all-star every year in Atlanta, he seems to be a much better contributor in Denver.

If we had a good starters at all positions and needed a first big off the bench, I would absolutely risk that type of contract for him. But we seem to still be shopping for a legit starting PF and not sure a 35-37 year old Millsap will be that guy.
I don't think this would be the case. Of course having Millsap off the bench would mean you are in a terrific position, but in our case he would be joining a lineup of Rubio-Booker-Bridges/Oubre and Ayton. These are proven players (within their own capabilities) that wouldn't need Millsap to carry them, just round out the starting five by playing his usual sensible and well rounded game, with a physical profile that still holds up, unlike Saric.

To me, this is worth the risk of a relevant contract on a older player, especially because by his third year you are giving yourself a nice trading chip to try to make a move to get to the next level, something that shouldn't be overlooked because by then we will have Booker, Ayton and probably others making a lot of money.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:30 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:56 pm
Split T wrote:
Split T wrote:
I prefer Shaq Harrison.
Wow. All D and no O. Pass. At least that's what I remember. Maybe he got better.
I liked Shaq, and think his defense was/is better than Carter's (who is still pretty decent). Also a better athlete, but neither can lead an offense and Carter's 3pt shot is more reliable. For a third guard, I am happy with Carter. Jerome, on the other hand...

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shaq isn't a point guard. He should be a backup 2 and a smallball 3.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.