Around the League: Season Resumes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Oatmeal

Re: Around the League: Season Resumes

Post by Oatmeal »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:51 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:38 pm
Gobert doing push-ups after a hard foul, don’t tell Sauce
Were they down 20? That’s when it’s the best
Can someone update me on the Oubre hate? Been away awhile..

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:16 pm
Larry Bird 2.0.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Oatmeal wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:50 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
I think most of us like him. Sauce does not. Thinks he takes bad shots, doesn’t pass, is too focused on how he looks on camera and having swagger instead of just playing basketball.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:53 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Larry Bird 2.0.
I never saw Bird play, I get the comparison. I think he’s the next evolution of James Harden.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:54 pm
Oatmeal wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
I think most of us like him. Sauce does not. Thinks he takes bad shots, doesn’t pass, is too focused on how he looks on camera and having swagger instead of just playing basketball.
Bingo.

Doesn’t fit in the .5 offense. Doesn’t play smart defense- looks for the flashy plays instead of sticking to his man and frequently loses them off ball. Not a good complement to Book/DA the way Bridges and Cam are.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:54 pm
Oatmeal wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
Bingo.

Doesn’t fit in the .5 offense. Doesn’t play smart defense- looks for the flashy plays instead of sticking to his man and frequently loses them off ball. Not a good complement to Book/DA the way Bridges and Cam are.
Until DA can show that he can consistently create offense for himself, I think he’s a great fit. Booker’s the only guy we have who can do that right now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Tonight was the kind of night Kelly could have been huge for us. Carter ended up stepping up, but Kelly gives us another guy who can attack off the dribble.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:53 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Larry Bird 2.0.
I never saw Bird play, I get the comparison. I think he’s the next evolution of James Harden.
He's not the shooter Bird was - Bird ranks up there with the best pure shooters ever, and he was perhaps the greatest clutch shooter ever.

I actually think his game is closer to Magic's, although that's not a perfect comparison either.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He sees the floor and rebounds like Kidd. He has the footwork and shooting talent of Nash. He's built like Magic.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:51 pm
He sees the floor and rebounds like Kidd. He has the footwork and shooting talent of Nash. He's built like Magic.
Nah, he's not a pure shooter like Nash, Ray Allen, Steph Curry, Larry Bird or Chris Mullin.

He's a high-volume scorer, but not a pure shooter.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:51 pm
Nah, he's not a pure shooter like Nash, Ray Allen, Steph Curry, Larry Bird or Chris Mullin.

He's a high-volume scorer, but not a pure shooter.
You're thinking prime Nash, I'm comparing his shooting and other skills to the young version of those guys.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:07 pm
Crazy how good TJ has been in the bubble. He never seemed to like all the extra stuff that comes with being an nba player(press mostly) it’s probably nice for him to just be able to play basketball. Will be really interesting if this is just a hot streak or an actual leap from him. His numbers during the regular season were about on par with his last year in Phoenix.
It could be his comfort level in said environment who knows but I just have to laugh when I see folks reacting like he now became an efficient scorer.
Like u said his regular season numbers are basically the same because he was shooting just 37% from 3 on the season while in the bubble he is 55% (20/36) which will obviously regress later or next season for sure.
We can pull up any Game Day thread from his last seasons here and will all have similar posts from the majority of us (man just wish TJ added the 3pt shot , damn if only TJ could stay healthy)
TJ taking dribble pull up 3s on a fast break is not in the scouting report and defenders are still playing him for the drive and just happy to contest the 3 or just switch pick n rolls. We were the only team to push up and trap Soo will see if teams adjust in the playoffs

Like I said in the Game Day thread , kudos to him but he isn't doing anything we had not hoped for (extending his range) and in this small sample size we see the potential impact but he still not seeing the court or rebounding
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:47 am
Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:07 pm
Crazy how good TJ has been in the bubble. He never seemed to like all the extra stuff that comes with being an nba player(press mostly) it’s probably nice for him to just be able to play basketball. Will be really interesting if this is just a hot streak or an actual leap from him. His numbers during the regular season were about on par with his last year in Phoenix.
It could be his comfort level in said environment who knows but I just have to laugh when I see folks reacting like he now became an efficient scorer.
Like u said his regular season numbers are basically the same because he was shooting just 37% from 3 on the season while in the bubble he is 55% (20/36) which will obviously regress later or next season for sure.
We can pull up any Game Day thread from his last seasons here and will all have similar posts from the majority of us (man just wish TJ added the 3pt shot , damn if only TJ could stay healthy)
TJ taking dribble pull up 3s on a fast break is not in the scouting report and defenders are still playing him for the drive and just happy to contest the 3 or just switch pick n rolls. We were the only team to push up and trap Soo will see if teams adjust in the playoffs

Like I said in the Game Day thread , kudos to him but he isn't doing anything we had not hoped for (extending his range) and in this small sample size we see the potential impact but he still not seeing the court or rebounding
Exactly. Obviously more and more people are taking note because of his scoring under these circumstances but that's just what he does. His 3pt shot has improved for sure but he's also probably getting more scoring opportunities because Sabonis isn't there and Dipo isn't all the way back. His regular season numbers are identical to previous seasons.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Raptors up 12 on Grizz, seem to be taking care of business

Split T

Post by Split T »

Raptors almost blew an 18 point 4th Q lead. Was down to a 3 point game, a couple Siakim 3’s and we’re up to a 7 point lead with under 2 to go. Looks like Toronto will hold on.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:24 am
Good!

I guess INF was wrong.
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:20 am
Players aren't subject to tampering rules.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I thought he was off on the player tampering thing and I think it's some of the new stuff they added in recently.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nice to see the Grizz lose. Just two games left for them, Boston and Milwaukee. They could end up opening the door for us even if Portland doesn’t.