Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Free Agency Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

Let's see what Ayton does this season. He has a lot of growing to do, but he did grow last year. I expect he will grow this year, too.

DA took a big step on defense last year, and I thought he didn't have the same lapses on D that he had on O. Monty said many times that he wanted to bring Ayton along slowly and build from the ground up. He didn't want to give DA too much responsibility too fast. Maybe this season DA and Monty focus more on scoring or rebounding.

We will see.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:47 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:38 am
I wonder if Jones leans on Paul to figure out what he has and maybe what he should do with Ayton. If Paul can't get thru to and get the most out of Ayton, maybe he lets Jones know, either directly or indirectly, whether Ayton is worth holding onto and/or at what price. Does Paul think Ayton is worth a max extension? Is Ayton only worth a max extension if he has a talent like Paul bringing it out in him? Will Ayton fall off or get content with the money?

I try thinking about if Ayton were drafted by the Kings or Hawks, put up the same numbers and kind of play - looking dominant at times and showing the potential but also lacking some and missing that hustle and energy. Would we think he's worth a max or overpay to sign him away from another team? Would we think it's just the situation/coaching? Would we say, "so what, he's 20/10 and doesn't even have to try"?
I think most of us wouldn't know much about him, because although he gets 20/10 without trying, he does it in unspectacular fashion, and in a way that doesn't impact the game (on offense). So he wouldn't be on any highlights, and we would mostly see him when he plays us.

I just can't imagine paying this version of Ayton 30M-40M/year for 5 years. You do that for all-nba players.
Agree. Why I think you have this year for him to show us what his path will be. If you don’t want to pay him the max after this season, you send him off before he gets too expensive

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 am
Let's see what Ayton does this season. He has a lot of growing to do, but he did grow last year. I expect he will grow this year, too.

DA took a big step on defense last year, and I thought he didn't have the same lapses on D that he had on O. Monty said many times that he wanted to bring Ayton along slowly and build from the ground up. He didn't want to give DA too much responsibility too fast. Maybe this season DA and Monty focus more on scoring or rebounding.

We will see.
Completely agree. Although he isn't what I was hoping in a #1 pick, but that is more about his competition. He took a huge leap last year on the court, and a huge step back off the court. Let's see what happens this season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There was an NBA article about the five best players from Ayton's draft and he wasn't one of the five. I don't know if I agree with that but that was painful to see.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Doncic, Trae, SGA, and ... Bridges? Who else has made a name for themselves?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:42 am
There was an NBA article about the five best players from Ayton's draft and he wasn't one of the five. I don't know if I agree with that but that was painful to see.
He is currently 5th in VORP and 6th in WS/48 minutes. But I agree he likely isn't below top 5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:59 am
Doncic, Trae, SGA, and ... Bridges? Who else has made a name for themselves?
Probably had JJJ in there I’d guess.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It was a good draft because of variety. Ayton a 20/10 big, Doncic a do-everything generational player, Trae the Nash/Curry like PG, SGA an exciting bigger guard, JJJ the new age inside-outside big (tho overrated IMO). And MPJ is also starting to make a name for himself if he proves healthy.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

This article's "re-draft" has Ayton at #5 and Bridges at #10 (same spot he was drafted at): https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/redr ... dre-ayton/
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:40 pm
This article's "re-draft" has Ayton at #5 and Bridges at #10 (same spot he was drafted at): https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/redr ... dre-ayton/
I have a lot of disagreements with this article.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

That’s bs.

I’m going Doncic Trae DA

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Jalen Smith as insurance if we decide to let Ayton walk? We become a small(ish) ball 3pt shooting machine.

I'm not comfortable paying Ayton the max as it stands.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Smith is indeed insurance.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:45 pm
JeremyG wrote:
This article is just silly. JJJ and SGA over DA? I am not even sure that Trae > DA. And I suspect that taking DA over Doncic will amount to taking Hakeem over Jordan.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would trade DA for SGA right now.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:59 pm
Jalen Smith as insurance if we decide to let Ayton walk? We become a small(ish) ball 3pt shooting machine.

I'm not comfortable paying Ayton the max as it stands.
Ayton is not a free agent in 2021 and is a restricted free agent in 2022. Plenty of time to trade him rather than let him walk, if they don’t want to pay him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:24 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:45 pm
JeremyG wrote:
This article is just silly. JJJ and SGA over DA? I am not even sure that Trae > DA. And I suspect that taking DA over Doncic will amount to taking Hakeem over Jordan.
I agree. People are really undervaluing Ayton. It’s not like he’s padding his stats in garbage time.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:41 pm
I would trade DA for SGA right now.
Right. I think today, all things being equal, Luka, SGA, and Trae are better players than DA. You could make an argument for JJJ even with the injury history.