Game Day (Preseason): Suns @ Jazz, Sat 12/12/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns @ Jazz, Sat 12/12/20

Post by bajanguy008 »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:33 am
Not going o read too much into the game last night, but

LG was our best guard not named Booker.
I liked what I saw of Motley.
It looked like Payne was pressing.
Haven't activated my League pass yet so most likely will not see any of these games cause I will be at work but reading the comments Payne seemed to be the most criticized player :oops: so seeing someone say he was pressing wouldn't be a surprise to me. I watch the post game interviews and his disappointment was kinda obvious and he just kept saying has to be better getting the guys into the O and what's not.
Like I said pregame, I'm always ready to be a homer for one of the young guys who is dividing opinion so look fwd to getting to watch a game where I can form my own opinion. 8-) :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

appreciate the thorough recap Shel

for those like myself who didn't get to see the game I did find this a little earlier (the 2nd half). it is just someone recording a stream it seems as it sticks a little but if you're like me and was eager to see the team you can tolerate it lol.

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

My guess is that Williams viewed the game as a more of controlled scrimmage.
He got a chance to see how various players reacted to game conditions against a solid opponent.
Note to Ayton: You are not Towns or Embiid. Shooting from long range isn't in your wheelhouse.

Wondering how Isaiah Thomas would look coming off the bench.
Even if he were 80% of what he used to be physically, he might be a nice change-of-pace option.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

This was good to hear

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's great to have Suns basketball back again. Hard to gauge the team much without Paul playing. I don't much care that they lost, but they definitely looked rusty. Encouraging signs from Smith in his first game. Showed a nice shooting touch and decent dribble drive moves. Galloway was hot in his shooting. Moore also gave us quality minutes. Not sure what the backcourt rotation is going to be. I liked the Payne-Carter bench backcourt a lot in the bubble, but they looked a bit bumpy in this one. If Galloway keeps shooting like that, it'll be impossible not to play him. I hope Payne doesn't get left behind.

Ayton seems to really struggle against Gobert. His size and length really seem to bother DA. Causes him to become passive and takes him out of the game. Not sure why he hasn't found any way to work around it.

Bridges looks really sharp already. I love this kid; so glad we didn't include him in some dumb trade. I think he's going to be a Shawn Marion / Raja Bell / Grant Hill-esque fan favorite for years, working his ass off and doing the dirty work on defense. Can't wait to see him with Paul and the full starting lineup.

What did you guys think of Nader? He's kind of awkward and plodding at times, but he seems to get after it and hustle as much as his frame will allow. Want to see more from him to decide whether he deserves any rotation minutes.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Loved to see Ayton shove Gobert a couple times. He is learning what he is capable and doesn’t need to over-respect guys anymore.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:39 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:54 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:39 pm
Payne was not...great tonight.
It's funny because I just looked at the box score and was shocked that he had a decent stat line. But watching the game, it was...payneful.
I like this INF.
I saw the opportunity and then asked myself, "What would Superbone do?"
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:43 am
Bridges looks really sharp already. I love this kid; so glad we didn't include him in some dumb trade.
I think it is a bad idea to include any player in a dumb trade.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:57 am
Loved to see Ayton shove Gobert a couple times. He is learning what he is capable and doesn’t need to over-respect guys anymore.
Yeah, me too. That was encouraging.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:59 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:39 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:54 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:39 pm
Payne was not...great tonight.
It's funny because I just looked at the box score and was shocked that he had a decent stat line. But watching the game, it was...payneful.
I like this INF.
I saw the opportunity and then asked myself, "What would Superbone do?"
:lol: Love it! WWSD :D

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:05 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:43 am
Bridges looks really sharp already. I love this kid; so glad we didn't include him in some dumb trade.
I think it is a bad idea to include any player in a dumb trade.
How about we just skip the dumb trades in the first place and stick to the smart trades? ;)

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

The dribbling and aggression by DA was nice to see. Same with the aggressiveness from Scrimmage Bridges. I want to see both of those when the games count!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

What did you guys think of Nader? He's kind of awkward and plodding at times, but he seems to get after it and hustle as much as his frame will allow. Want to see more from him to decide whether he deserves any rotation minutes.
Nader's a basketball player, knows his limitations and plays hard. He's a typical Thunder/Spurs guy, and while I wouldn't want him as a major part of my rotation, he can play high IQ basketball and is nice insurance on the back end of the bench. Played some solid defense, brought the ball up a few times I think and the 3pt shot looked good. Similar physical profile to Mikal. Not a project/development player so can step in if needed. Guys like him seem to carve out nice careers. Reminds me of Nocioni/Matt Barnes.
Last edited by ShelC on Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Split T wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:29 am

This was good to hear
My favorite part of his aggression was when he had an easy dunk and did a layup. :?

Split T

Post by Split T »

The part I liked was book staying on his case all year. He had a moment or two of aggressiveness, but I wouldn’t call last night an aggressive showing from DA

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oatmeal wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:13 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:29 am

This was good to hear
My favorite part of his aggression was when he had an easy dunk and did a layup. :?
I had the same frustration. But most of the time last year we would have had easy dunks turned into layups AND a lack of attacking throughout the entire game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He did seem more assertive and made quicker decisions. Not always the best decision, but it's an improvement from watching him catch the ball and take 2 seconds to decide on his next move.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:31 pm
He did seem more assertive and made quicker decisions. Not always the best decision, but it's an improvement from watching him catch the ball and take 2 seconds to decide on his next move.
Especially when that next move was seemingly always a long 2 if he was far away, and a layup when he could have dunked it.

For those DA defenders, yes I know these are exaggerations about DA.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson
Monty thought he played Payne and Carter too much last night Thinks those guys can be better in shorter spurts.
2:01 PM · Dec 13, 2020

Translation- I think some of the new guys like Galloway might be getting his minutes if he doesn’t produce.

I thought Payne was pressing a little too much too and I think the altitude definitely had an effect on their game. I am not worried about Payne but, he has some competition this year and that can only be a good thing for Monty and the Suns.

Ayton’s newfound aggression was nice to see but, it wasn’t really aggression going to the basket, it was him wrestling with Gobert without the ball and it bordered on flagrant. I hope he doesn’t pick up a bunch of tech’s and start to be known as a dirty player. I want more aggression with the ball going to the basket. Maybe he’s just making an intimidayton statement to the league and maybe that’s a good thing.