Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've never cared about Sarver's politics, just the way he treats people. I'll think of the next person in his position, if there is one, the same way.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:24 am
I've never cared about Sarver's politics, just the way he treats people. I'll think of the next person in his position, if there is one, the same way.
I don’t know anything about Sarver’s politics. This guy in basically his first public appearance trots it out there to make a statement.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:21 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I don’t know anything about Sarver’s politics. This guy in basically his first public appearance trots it out there to make a statement.
If the statement is that he’s not racist like Sarver, then he can trot it out there all he wants.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:33 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:28 pm
Najafi making his play!
Great. We’re going to go from Sarver to a Kaepernick business partner and buddy.
I've never taken issue with Kaepernick and taking a stand the way he has. I've also never taken offense by athletes that don't stand for the national anthem. But I know there are also a ton of people that hate Kaepernick and when athletes don't stand.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:43 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:21 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
If the statement is that he’s not racist like Sarver, then he can trot it out there all he wants.
Exactly.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Taken down because it was just Jalen just making it up? Or was it in an original version of the story and was removed for some reason and Jalen didn’t realize that?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

My bet is still on Jalen Rose making it up.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I can see where he was just creating a hypothetical scenario to make his point.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In which case he should be reprimanded for it and ESPN should issue a retraction. It's extremely irresponsible for someone in his position to make a false claim like that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That Najafi seems like a decent fellow, and I'm glad he is part of the Suns ownership group. But my problem with his criticisms of Sarver is that he has a huge conflict of interest. He seems like he'd love to buy out Sarver's share of the team, increase the value of his own investment, and perhaps have more control and influence over the operation of the team. I'm not saying that is a bad thing; he is allowed to be ambitious and want to purchase more of the team. But I do think that tends to affect how he would react to this Sarver scandal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:31 pm
In which case he should be reprimanded for it and ESPN should issue a retraction. It's extremely irresponsible for someone in his position to make a false claim like that.
Agreed, but the fact that they’ve just quietly removed the video and ignored it is what makes me think there’s a chance it’s a real story.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Whether true or not, I'm still shocked it hasn't really caught on anywhere in a major way that would cause ESPN/Rose to clarify the remark.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:38 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Agreed, but the fact that they’ve just quietly removed the video and ignored it is what makes me think there’s a chance it’s a real story.
I don't know whether Rose's story is true or untrue, but why would they remove the video if it were true and important? Doesn't the removal come across as more of a retraction, a stepping away from the statement?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:49 am
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I don't know whether Rose's story is true or untrue, but why would they remove the video if it were true and important? Doesn't the removal come across as more of a retraction, a stepping away from the statement?
If it was part of the original story and was in a draft, but ESPN lawyers couldn't get enough corroboration to stand behind it, I can see them taking it down and not saying anything about it.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:46 am
Whether true or not, I'm still shocked it hasn't really caught on anywhere in a major way that would cause ESPN/Rose to clarify the remark.
I took it as implied message to not offering the max to Ayton was treating him that way. I didn’t think of it as something he explicitly said.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:21 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:46 am
I took it as implied message to not offering the max to Ayton was treating him that way. I didn’t think of it as something he explicitly said.
I think this is the most likely explanation. The first time I heard it, I didn't think of it as reporting. But when all the buzz started, that influenced my opinion.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:06 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:49 am
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
If it was part of the original story and was in a draft, but ESPN lawyers couldn't get enough corroboration to stand behind it, I can see them taking it down and not saying anything about it.
Ya this is what I was thinking…It is possible Jalen was just implying something like Drewspocket said…but it’s just a very detailed accusation and is told in the same breath as another incident that did happen and was in the article. Seems weird that Jalen would just make that accusation if it wasn’t something he had heard.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yeah, that's what I meant by bringing up the word "lazy" before--that it adds more detail to it. I've never heard Ayton characterized as "lazy" by Rose before, so it just seems weird that just because he was deemed unworthy of the max by Sarver, Rose would assume it was because he considered him "lazy." It seems "lazy n-word" is actually something he heard from someone.

Or another possibility: the rumor Rose heard was that Sarver called Ayton "lazy," and Rose added "n-word" to it.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Something else to ponder. Diana Taurasi has been here 17 years, as long as Sarver himself. And we've heard nothing from her at all. Interesting. I guess at the very least, she hasn't wanted to vouch for him being a classy respecter of women.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here is the incident I referred to before that Jordan Schultz said would be in the report:
"Because what happens with, when they have their owner meetings, and they have everyone in the room, or in this case, on zoom, and the owners are very specific to, and very in tune with what the image is of the league, and how other owners and how they are being perceived. [...] There's certain owners that other guys simply do not respond to, and there are even female owners as we've seen. [...] I can tell you that there is, one of the reports that's gonna drop, one of the parts of this report with Sarver, is a very damning statement made against another female owner."

https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/jorda ... er-analyst
It sounds like it happened in a Zoom meeting? Maybe he didn't know his mic was on? I guess it was deleted from the story for some reason.