Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:56 am
We better not just run it back…we need to have a backup plan if the KD move doesn’t pan out
Yeah if this is our team, we basically just moved Biyombo up a spot to replace McGee for our top 10 players and called it a day. Not good.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s tricky though because if we start moving players around, it gets trickier to match salary for KD. It would be nice to give the Nets a cutoff day. Give them our best offer and say we’re moving on if you don’t accept by then…but how do you move on from KD? You really can’t. Gotta try and make moves that don’t mess up our shot at KD.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

On your rotations...think you're wrong. I think this ends up shifting Ayton to PF, and a TBD asset at Center...

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:05 am
Split T wrote:
We better not just run it back…we need to have a backup plan if the KD move doesn’t pan out
Yeah if this is our team, we basically just moved Biyombo up a spot to replace McGee for our top 10 players and called it a day. Not good.
Don't forget out first round pick - Dario Sarić!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:11 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I was sitting in America West Arena (or US Airways Center or whatever it was called) during the draft 'party' when Sarver came out introduced Amare returning from injury as our 1st round pick since we traded it for nothing. Ugh.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:16 am
The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:11 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I was sitting in America West Arena (or US Airways Center or whatever it was called) during the draft 'party' when Sarver came out introduced Amare returning from injury as our 1st round pick since we traded it for nothing. Ugh.
I was there too. It was frustrating.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I was at the draft lottery party at the arena when we went from second-worst record to getting the 4th pick (Josh Jackson). The mood there was...not good. I went a year too soon. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
You mean a backup plan like...LeBron James? :twisted:

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:20 am
I was at the draft lottery party at the arena when we went from second-worst record to getting the 4th pick (Josh Jackson). The mood there was...not good. I went a year too soon. :P
I was there when they booed the selection of Dan Majerle. (I did not though, I actually knew who he was, and once everyone saw him play with the Olympic team they were won over)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:26 am
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:20 am
I was there when they booed the selection of Dan Majerle. (I did not though, I actually knew who he was, and once everyone saw him play with the Olympic team they were won over)
Cotton’s reaction was brilliant. I miss him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:21 am
Split T wrote:
You mean a backup plan like...LeBron James? :twisted:
😏

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Would James Jones give up his first first-round pick as GM, Cameron Johnson, to get his best friend LeBron James?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think he definitely would. I think getting LA to cooperate would be the hardest part. LeBron would have to ask out. Honestly that would be the best thing for our KD chances. If we can tell Brooklyn we’ll just go trade for LeBron instead, the KD price might drop.

Maybe we just get both :twisted:

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:47 am
I think he definitely would. I think getting LA to cooperate would be the hardest part. LeBron would have to ask out. Honestly that would be the best thing for our KD chances. If we can tell Brooklyn we’ll just go trade for LeBron instead, the KD price might drop.

Just like Kobe and T-mac.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve got my own spreadsheet I keep for the suns payroll and if I have all the contracts correct, I have the suns with a 167,152,588 payroll. So 16,885,588 over the luxury tax which adds basically 18,000,000 in tax payments. We have 1 roster spot and both 2-ways available. We have the TPMLE available at 6,392,000. However that would cost us more like 19,000,000 with the luxury tax. We are also likely to pretty greatly increase our luxury tax payments in a KD trade if that happens. I’m assuming we end up sending out less salary in that potential trade. We’d also have to add more salary because we’d need to fill the now empty roster spots because we have to send out multiple players for KD.

So basically, it’s a good thing Sarver said he’d pay a tax bill of 60-70 million, because that could very well be coming.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:58 am
Split T wrote:

Just like Kobe and T-mac.
How much would people hate a CP3/Booker/KD/LeBron team? It would be quite hilarious….we might be the most hated team of all time. And Melo probably jumps on that team as a vet min signing too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:01 am
I’ve got my own spreadsheet I keep for the suns payroll and if I have all the contracts correct, I have the suns with a 167,152,588 payroll. So 16,885,588 over the luxury tax which adds basically 18,000,000 in tax payments. We have 1 roster spot and both 2-ways available. We have the TPMLE available at 6,392,000. However that would cost us more like 19,000,000 with the luxury tax. We are also likely to pretty greatly increase our luxury tax payments in a KD trade if that happens. I’m assuming we end up sending out less salary in that potential trade. We’d also have to add more salary because we’d need to fill the now empty roster spots because we have to send out multiple players for KD.

So basically, it’s a good thing Sarver said he’d pay a tax bill of 60-70 million, because that could very well be coming.
Let's just hope he knows he won't be here at the end of the season when the luxury tax is calculated.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:

The salaries work.

Trade Bridges/Crowder/Craig for KD.

Trade Johnson/Saric/Shamet/Payne/Biyombo/Lee (after December 14) for LeBron James

Starting lineup:
Paul/Booker/James/Durant/Ayton

Bench:
Random fans each night who won a contest?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I'm not totally opposed to exploring a LeBron trade, but I think this is something where you quietly approach the lakers (and LeBron) and offer a bunch of draft picks that the lakers could really use and see what they would bite on. But you definitely do it behind the scenes on a very short timeframe because KD is already being drawn out too much.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Would you all rather give up Bridges and Cam for KD, or keep Bridges and Cam and trade picks/filler for LeBron?