Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by SunsRIt »

TOO wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:52 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:08 pm
TOO wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:58 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:48 am

It happened in 2008, during the Cardinals' Super Bowl season, but most of us never heard about it because it was swept under the rug back then because nobody wanted to talk about domestic violence back then:

🤢😵‍💫🤮
We live in a culture where we accept violence towards women. There’s an invisible line somewhere drawn in public opinion where we tolerate it and settle into the ambiguity of circumstances.
He's rich, it's fine. Teachable moment even.
What’s your horse’s name?
Dead.
Just seems kinda high to me.

SunsRIt

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by SunsRIt »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:19 pm
TOO wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
🤢😵‍💫🤮
We live in a culture where we accept violence towards women. There’s an invisible line somewhere drawn in public opinion where we tolerate it and settle into the ambiguity of circumstances.
Hey, I know you disagree with me on some details of the Sarver punishment and are getting a kick out of that "teachable moment" phrasing. But I don't think your usage here is fair. I am not at all okay with domestic violence or any kind of violence toward women.
You didn’t realize his opinion is the only one that matters?

TOO

Post by TOO »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:48 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
TOO wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
🤢😵‍💫🤮
Hey, I know you disagree with me on some details of the Sarver punishment and are getting a kick out of that "teachable moment" phrasing. But I don't think your usage here is fair. I am not at all okay with domestic violence or any kind of violence toward women.
Indeed, my opinion is the only opinion here that matters to me. Back to block list with you though, cheers.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lebron weighs in. He disagrees with the league's decision.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:12 pm

So it begins.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

TOO wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:54 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:48 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
TOO wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
🤢😵‍💫🤮
Indeed, my opinion is the only opinion here that matters to me. Back to block list with you though, cheers.
Good riddance. You said you were done with the Suns so I rejoiced. Then you showed up again.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I do think there’s a chance we get enough outside factors to oust Sarver. Get enough players to speak out, sponsors to drop the suns and/or NBA, and force the nba or suns minority owners hands.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:12 pm

Now it will be awkward for CP3 if he doesn't speak out himself and side with LeBron. It's disappointing that a non-Suns player had to speak first, though.
Last edited by JeremyG on Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:11 pm
I do think there’s a chance we get enough outside factors to oust Sarver. Get enough players to speak out, sponsors to drop the suns and/or NBA, and force the nba or suns minority owners hands.
It's the only chance we've got. Waiting for CP3 and Book to chime in.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://arizonasports.com/story/3297240 ... the-wrist/

DAN BICKLEY
NBA punishment to Suns owner Robert Sarver is slap on the wrist
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

It's really gross that Silver was just there saying this is fine and he was punished accordingly. Especially in today's social climate, that's wild.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I agree with Trae Young.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I started reading through the 43 page report. The thing that immediately stands out is what a man-child Sarver is. Always trying to show power over others and make them uncomfortable. Tells inappropriate sexual jokes at the drop of a hat.

GET HIM OUT OF HERE!

No FAs are going to want to play for him. No way can he change his baseline behavior after 60 years on this planet. He needs to take his money and walk away.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:12 pm
I started reading through the 43 page report. The thing that immediately stands out is what a man-child Sarver is. Always trying to show power over others and make them uncomfortable. Tells inappropriate sexual jokes at the drop of a hat.

GET HIM OUT OF HERE!

No FAs are going to want to play for him. No way can he change his baseline behavior after 60 years on this planet. He needs to take his money and walk away.
Kevin Durant might demand a trade before the trade deadline and tell the Nets, "Send me anywhere but Phoenix."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Can the rest of suns ownership force him out?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:18 pm
Gambo said there is most likely a moral/ethical clause where they could force him out if they wanted

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:22 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:18 pm
Gambo said there is most likely a moral/ethical clause where they could force him out if they wanted
Which will absolutely get dragged into legal courts, and I don't believe anyone on the non-Sarver side wants to go through that battle at their own monetary expense. Maybe I'm wrong about how much they care or the depth of their pockets.

One way I could see them gaining leverage is if they could somehow provide evidence of Sarver's majority ownership affecting business revenue. Losing sponsorship deals or even organizational talent, but I don't think either is really plausible. We've already heard from many current and former players that either have a good relationship with Sarver or they're not affected by the reports, they're just doing their job as a player or staff member.

Now if James Jones or Monty decide to leave the club and cite Sarver as a significant factor, all bets are off. I just can't imagine either happening right now.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »