Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:50 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:46 am
Fair, that’s a good point. But the drawback is they have to send scouts to highschool gyms and draft players with less information. They don’t seem to think the payoff is worth it.
They don’t have to. I heard about this one team that doesn’t even scout college players. They just watch YouTube videos.

The “scouting high school gyms” thing is overblown. In any year there are probably 4-6 high school players who could conceivably make the jump. I don’t see how going to watch them play at Sierra Canyon is any worse than sending your scouts to Central Tennessee Tech. Plus, any respectable front office starts keeping tabs on these players in their database when they’re as young as 13. You’re just giving them permission to meet in person a year earlier.
I’m just stating the reason given in the original article. It said the scouts didn’t look forward to having to go back to high school gyms.
OK, but that is the worst reason I have heard to support the current 1 and done rule.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Meh, there was an alternate angle that showed he was talking to someone and wasn’t aware they were huddling up. A big nothing to me

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

There is this one too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:54 am
I think "why are you taking away the rights of a certain group of people" is always the right question to ask. I am not worried about protecting billionaire owners from making a stupid draft selection to the point where we should be forcing these adults to go let the NCAA exploit them. If you have a marketable skill and you are a consenting adult, you should be able to market that skill.
I just don't understand this argument. I always find it over the top. The NBA is a company that says its product and work place is better off with employees that are at least one year removed from high school.

I don't see that as any different from required a GED, or a Bachelor's, or a graduate degree.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Lakers are frisky and Westbrook is the only thing holding them back for a top 6 lock in the West, IMO. Well, besides the random AD injury stuff, too.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Not buying the Lakers this season. I think they will be a big disappointment. Bunch of old egotistical dudes who don't play well together and will break down. Lebron is really old. AD is made of glass. Westbrook has been bad for years now. Super overrated team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think most people feel pretty similar about the Lakers. The highest I’ve seen them is still as a play-in team. I think most people are pegging them pretty accurately. A thin team that could win a round or 2 if completely healthy, but not a contender and a borderline playoff team if they get hurt.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:37 pm
Indy wrote:
I think "why are you taking away the rights of a certain group of people" is always the right question to ask. I am not worried about protecting billionaire owners from making a stupid draft selection to the point where we should be forcing these adults to go let the NCAA exploit them. If you have a marketable skill and you are a consenting adult, you should be able to market that skill.
I just don't understand this argument. I always find it over the top. The NBA is a company that says its product and work place is better off with employees that are at least one year removed from high school.

I don't see that as any different from required a GED, or a Bachelor's, or a graduate degree.
Is there any evidence that the NBA is more profitable when they force men to go to college for a year before employing them?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this…wouldn’t be surprised to see him on our team

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:55 am
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:37 pm
Indy wrote:

Is there any evidence that the NBA is more profitable when they force men to go to college for a year before employing them?
In fairness, the correlation is very strong. The NBA is more profitable when they force men to go to college for a year before employing them. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re more profitable because they force men to go to college for a year before employing them.

;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:58 am
Not buying the Lakers this season. I think they will be a big disappointment. Bunch of old egotistical dudes who don't play well together and will break down. Lebron is really old. AD is made of glass. Westbrook has been bad for years now. Super overrated team.
I never knew you had interest. Your vaunted Warriors, sure. Besides, I don't think the Busses are interested in selling.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:17 am

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this…wouldn’t be surprised to see him on our team
If the Suns convert Washington to a roster spot is there really any reason to have kemba on the team at all? Prefer to sign Carmelo for the last spot.
Last edited by Wally_West on Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:06 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:17 am

If the Suns convert Washington to a roster spot ie there really any reason to have kemba on the team at all? Prefer to sign Carmelo for the last spot.
I would too, but just thought he’d make some sense if he can regain any of his former self…Gambo doesn’t think we’re interested though

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Whenever there's a great chance for us to upgrade our roster, Gambo always tweets that the Suns are not interested. It's become a running joke. Why does the front office hate adding talent?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

One thing about James Jones is he seems to target specific people. We don’t really seem to take chances on anyone. Might be loyal to a fault in some cases…Like a Payne and Shamet.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kemba's cooked guys. He's a smaller guard, doesn't defend and isn't a great 3pt shooter. Just because he's a "name", doesn't mean we should be signing him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:46 am
Kemba's cooked guys. He's a smaller guard, doesn't defend and isn't a great 3pt shooter. Just because he's a "name", doesn't mean we should be signing him.
He's still better than Payne as a backup PG.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:50 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:46 am
He's still better than Payne as a backup PG.
Kemba lost his PG job to a SG.