Monty Williams

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Monty Williams will...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:38 pm

No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2023
10%
No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2024
5%
Still be the Suns' head coach for training camp 2024
85%

Total votes: 20

Shabazz

Re: Monty Williams

Post by Shabazz »

I think coaching contracts have an offset. If Monty signs for a greater amount with another team, the Suns are off the hook. If it's a lesser amount, Suns pay the difference.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

“Please Monty. We promise we won’t trade for Deandre.”
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Increasingly I'm starting to think that it was foolish to fire Monty Williams. I was upset about how the playoffs went, and I think Monty could have done better, but I'm just not a believer in Kevin Young. We'll have to wait and see.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yes. Yes we will.

I don't know. The way we went out two years in a row was pretty epic and not in a good way. As much of a fan of Williams as I am, I understand moving on. I just wasn't seeing good adjustments on the court. I'm very thankful for the culture he brought here but I think I agree with Ishbia's assessment to move on. The trick is getting in somebody as good or better.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Suns had a culture on and off the court that was unique and an advantage over their opponent. A lot of that left with trading of the twins. It's just about gone with the firing of Monty, but even if he had been retained, it still wouldn't have been enough.

There were basketball factors that kept that culture from being enough, but Jones never really addressed any of them.

The current team is very different. It's about the brilliance of Book and Durant, and trying to surround with a enough talent to win it all while having very few resources. I'm not sure how valuable Monty is in that type of team building.

Moreover, I don't know if James Jones is an asset in that type of building. Jones isn't going to run things like Miami or Toronto, looking for undrafted free agents, using the g league, maximizing untapped potential, developing players, etc. You're not going to draft a Fred VanVleet and develop him; you're not going to find a Gabe Vincent or Max Strus. Jones doesn't have the patience or foresight to pull that stuff off.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s done alright with vet min signings…would be great if he could pull another CamJ draft pick out of his hat(only he’d have to draft him at his expected pick after we buy a late 1st/early 2nd).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:30 am
Increasingly I'm starting to think that it was foolish to fire Monty Williams. I was upset about how the playoffs went, and I think Monty could have done better, but I'm just not a believer in Kevin Young. We'll have to wait and see.
I get it’s underwhelming, but we really have no clue what kind of coach Kevin Young is…maybe in a few years he’s seen like Spoelstra.

But I don’t subscribe to the thinking that because he was on Monty’s staff he’s going to be the same.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:47 am
The Suns had a culture on and off the court that was unique and an advantage over their opponent. A lot of that left with trading of the twins. It's just about gone with the firing of Monty, but even if he had been retained, it still wouldn't have been enough.

There were basketball factors that kept that culture from being enough, but Jones never really addressed any of them.

The current team is very different. It's about the brilliance of Book and Durant, and trying to surround with a enough talent to win it all while having very few resources. I'm not sure how valuable Monty is in that type of team building.

Moreover, I don't know if James Jones is an asset in that type of building. Jones isn't going to run things like Miami or Toronto, looking for undrafted free agents, using the g league, maximizing untapped potential, developing players, etc. You're not going to draft a Fred VanVleet and develop him; you're not going to find a Gabe Vincent or Max Strus. Jones doesn't have the patience or foresight to pull that stuff off.
I'm going to wait and see how he performs under Ishbia before I make those assessments about Jones. We don't know what constraints he had under Sarver.

"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Mori Chu wrote:
Monty was a good coach for a time, but he started losing the room.
Ongoing issues with Ayton, apparent issues with Crowder, and, allegedly, growing dysfunction in the relationship with Paul.
When Cam and Bridges left, the core of the team Monty and Jones built was Booker, an erratic Ayton and an aging, somewhat disgruntled Paul.
It's difficult to keep eliminating key players and then expect no slip in continuity.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Monty was a good coach for a time, but he started losing the room.
Ongoing issues with Ayton, apparent issues with Crowder, and, allegedly, growing dysfunction in the relationship with Paul.
When Cam and Bridges left, the core of the team Monty and Jones built was Booker, an erratic Ayton and an aging, somewhat disgruntled Paul.
It's difficult to keep eliminating key players and then expect no slip in continuity.
Great synopsis of the situation. Would expect nothing less from you.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

More like Money Williams now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s crazy money…Good for Monty

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. Congrats coach! Thanks you for your time here and how far you've helped bring the team.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's like he's a really good coach or something.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I like Monty, nice guy, shitty tactician, thats an absolutely WILD deal, good for him. LMAO. Dude was below .500 before he took the Suns job IIRC.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Kind of an optimistic overpay, dontcha think?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Good for Monty. I wish him nothing but the best. Good coach and good man. I hope he can bring success to Detroit. Seems like the kind of coach they need.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TOO wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:48 pm
I like Monty, nice guy, shitty tactician, thats an absolutely WILD deal, good for him. LMAO. Dude was below .500 before he took the Suns job IIRC.
And the highest winning percentage among all coaches over the last 3 seasons. A small piece to omit.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton