POLL: The KD Trade

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

If you could undo the Kevin Durant trade, would you?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:48 pm

Yes, it was a mistake
45%
No, it was the right move
55%

Total votes: 22

JeremyG

POLL: The KD Trade

Post by JeremyG »

I thought this would be a good poll/discussion since it’s something I’ve been thinking about and it was brought up in another thread.

I vote the first option, and would definitely trade KD back for the players and just a couple of picks. I wish we would have given the same roster a chance this season and if it didn’t work out, give them one more chance next season with a new coach. (While also upgrading some of the rotation spots using some picks/expirings, of course.)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Re: POLL: The KD Trade

Post by Superbone »

Can it be both? That's how I feel. It was cool to go for it but KD wasn't the same KD for us in the playoffs. Maybe it'll just take more time. Plus, they gave Brooklyn EVERYTHING they wanted. Should have held out for a better deal. From what I've seen so far, I'd probably reverse it but that's easy to see in hindsight.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:58 pm
Can it be both? That's how I feel. It was cool to go for it but KD wasn't the same KD for us in the playoffs. Maybe it'll just take more time. Plus, they gave Brooklyn EVERYTHING they wanted. Should have held out for a better deal. From what I've seen so far, I'd probably reverse it but that's easy to see in hindsight.
Yeah that was definitely another option. Wait until this summer to try to make a better deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I still vote right move…though I do think in retrospect that we gave up too much. I would’ve held back either Crowder, a 1st, or CamJ and if they said no, I would’ve said we’ll talk to you in the summer then.

If we waited, we could’ve made a separate Crowder trade to add a depth piece, made our 2023 draft pick, and banked some increased value in Mikal.

I think if we came this summer and offered Mikal/contracts and 2 1sts, we probably could’ve got him. Or maybe, just maybe be able to build a 3-team trade around Ayton/CamJ/4 1sts.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:00 pm
Superbone wrote:
Yeah that was definitely another option. Wait until this summer to try to make a better deal.
Or just then. I think Brooklyn would have eventually buckled.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Or just then. I think Brooklyn would have eventually buckled.
I do think giving in to Brooklyn's Crowder demand at the last minute was unnecessary. We probably could have gotten something additional for Crowder.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We got fleeced. I really like KD on this team, but we gave up too much. So I vote "Yes" it was a mistake. I get why they did it, but I think ultimately it'll harm our future more than it helps our present.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’ll come down to whether we win a title or not in the next 3 years

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I miss Mikal Bridges with my heart and soul, but Kevin Durant is a once In a lifetime player.

When the trade happened I was happy and heartbroken at the same time. Let's see what the Suns brass put together first. Check back next year.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The KD trade was like buying the car of your dreams, but paying the lot sticker price, instead of dealing up from invoice ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

This team wasn't getting anywhere with the personnel it had, so changes had to be made. And I think they botched the Crowder situation beginning with not moving him before the season started.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:32 am
This team wasn't getting anywhere with the personnel it had, so changes had to be made.
NO ONE wanted to stand pat.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:49 pm
The Bobster wrote:
This team wasn't getting anywhere with the personnel it had, so changes had to be made.
You're right. They just traded the guys that pretty much no one wanted them to.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:36 pm
INFORMER wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Well, you have to give up something to get something. I don't think there's a team in the league that wouldn't have traded Bridges for Durant. Or Bridges and Johnson even. It's just a matter of how healthy Durant is here and what all the picks amount to.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:28 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Well, you have to give up something to get something. I don't think there's a team in the league that wouldn't have traded Bridges for Durant. Or Bridges and Johnson even. It's just a matter of how healthy Durant is here and what all the picks amount to.
You're also right. I'm only saying it would've been better if the something they gave up wasn't their best young player on the roster.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:31 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
You're also right. I'm only saying it would've been better if the something they gave up wasn't their best young player on the roster.
Then Brooklyn wouldn't have made the deal.

I like Bridges a lot two and I feel like Monty held him back from what he was obviously capable of. Hell, I think he was probably the most popular player on the roster. Brooklyn's happy and I'm sure the Suns are happy with having Durant.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:43 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:31 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Then Brooklyn wouldn't have made the deal.

I like Bridges a lot two and I feel like Monty held him back from what he was obviously capable of. Hell, I think he was probably the most popular player on the roster. Brooklyn's happy and I'm sure the Suns are happy with having Durant.
Just my way of saying it should've been Ayton without actually writing his name. Now we have another thread about him. :wink:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Monty wasn't holding Mikal back. Mikal's offense gradually got better and he broke out when he was forced into a scoring role due to all the injuries. Prior to that, he didn't have the mindset or instincts of a scorer. He's said as much himself.

Let's stop revising history and acting like Monty was a shit coach who kept us from a 3peat. We were dreck before he got here. He wasn't perfect and maybe there's a sour taste from the playoff exits but come on.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:41 pm
Monty wasn't holding Mikal back. Mikal's offense gradually got better and he broke out when he was forced into a scoring role due to all the injuries. Prior to that, he didn't have the mindset or instincts of a scorer.
That could be because Monty was holding him back. :P

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:41 pm
Monty wasn't holding Mikal back. Mikal's offense gradually got better and he broke out when he was forced into a scoring role due to all the injuries. Prior to that, he didn't have the mindset or instincts of a scorer. He's said as much himself.

Let's stop revising history and acting like Monty was a shit coach who kept us from a 3peat. We were dreck before he got here. He wasn't perfect and maybe there's a sour taste from the playoff exits but come on.
He definitely wasn't a shit coach. He has his flaws, as everyone does l, but he did a heck of a job helping to turn this franchise around. Taking us all the way to the finals was a phenomenal achievement.

Where I think he does lose some credit, and what I think cost him his job, was allowing us to lose those two game 7's in the manner that we did. Those weren't blowouts, they were humiliations. Had they been several years apart he might have survived but back to back? It would take a very patient owner to overlook that.