Suns Trade For Beal!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns Trade For Beal!

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There's a glass half full perspective and then there's a I just poured these two liters into a shot glass perspective.

Obviously there's a large upgrade from old man Paul to prime Beal, but Jokic is still the best player in the world and the Nuggets present a lot of size issues to any team.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea it's not as simple as Beal>CP so the Suns>Nuggets.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And then there's a death by dehydration take...

This is pretty ridiculous from who ever drew up these "grades".

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

You just have to load up for the season and wait to see what teams are healthy in the playoffs.

There's no guarantee that having the best team means you'll have the best team in the postseason - we've seen that happe to several teams. You just have to give yourself a chance. And a team starting with Durant, Booker, Beal and Ayton is going to have a pretty good chance.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Grading the trade -

The Athletic - Suns A-, Wizards D-
CBS Sports - Suns B, Wizards D
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

So now I want to know who's the Lakers fan that works at ESPN and made up their grades.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Holy shit. What absolute highway robbery.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:21 pm

The full pictures on that tweet have the "ESPN+" logo on them, so I assume it's their guy Kevin Pelton who has a front page link grading the trade. I understand the risks involved in the financial situation being created, but giving the Suns a "D" for getting a still-in-his-prime All-Star level scorer for the remains of Chris Paul's contract, the never-was-good Shamet, and draft capital that doesn't include anything in the first round? It smacks of pure clickbait and seems like actual basketball analysis of any sort wasn't applied.

By the way - can we reclaim AASE and apply it to Beal now? Except in this case, he was an Actual All-Star in the East. :lol:

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I had an image in my mind of the Suns recreating the Dragic-Bled-Thomas media day image from 9 years ago with our new trio and my next thought was what a freaking upgrade Book-KD-Beal is from that “big 3.”
Last edited by Shabazz on Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:01 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:58 pm
You can hear the collective wailing from Wizards nation. What an awful trade for them.
Does Jones get any respect from you for this?
I'm curious to hear what you're crediting James Jones for.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

BKinSJC wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:42 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

The full pictures on that tweet have the "ESPN+" logo on them, so I assume it's their guy Kevin Pelton who has a front page link grading the trade. I understand the risks involved in the financial situation being created, but giving the Suns a "D" for getting a still-in-his-prime All-Star level scorer for the remains of Chris Paul's contract, the never-was-good Shamet, and draft capital that doesn't include anything in the first round? It smacks of pure clickbait and seems like actual basketball analysis of any sort wasn't applied.

By the way - can we reclaim AASE and apply it to Beal now? Except in this case, he was an Actual All-Star in the East. :lol:
Also remember these pick swaps are a joke because Washington will almost definitely be worse than us for years to come, so they likely won’t want to swap

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:12 pm
Yea it's not as simple as Beal>CP so the Suns>Nuggets.
Still have NO interest???

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:07 pm
but Jokic is still the best player in the world and the Nuggets present a lot of size issues to any team.
Eh. I don't think we're looking at the Kobe/Shaq Lakers or the 72-win Bulls. The Nuggets are at the same level as the '21 Bucks and the '22 Warriors. Talented, capable of playing great, but certainly not unbeatable.

In terms of the Suns, the problem is still that they don't have a team. They had two stars they tried to win with, and now they're going to try to do it with three.

A lot teams/organizations are beating themselves more than anything. The Suns traded everything for Durant and the head coach was at odds with two starters. Ja Morant lost his mind, and the Grizz lost two key rotation players. Kawhi and PG-13 can't stay on the field. Boston can't seem to bring it consistently. Minnesota decided to trade everything for Gobert and then they imploded. Golden State broke itself, is getting old, and panic-paid Jordan Poole. Milwaukee imploded.

The only teams (besides Denver) that seem to be putting their best foot forward are New York, Cleveland, and Miami. I don't think NY has the talent to turn into a contender unless RJ turns into a superstar; Cleveland could; and we'll see how much of a difference Herro can make (I don't expect Dame to ask for a trade this offseason).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:01 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:58 pm
You can hear the collective wailing from Wizards nation. What an awful trade for them.
Does Jones get any respect from you for this?
I'm curious to hear what you're crediting James Jones for.
That answers my question. Thanks.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It does?! Weird.

mjwang92

Post by mjwang92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:38 pm
Holy shit. What absolute highway robbery.
This

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I think I would still try to get a starting point guard (or even start Payne), play Beal at the 2, move Booker to the 3, Durant at the 4, and Ayton at the 5. Someone might be willing to sign for the vet min, or we could even do a trade for up to about $7M (Payne) or use the TPE for $5M.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Those grades are dumb, but I am also sick of the participation award people hand out when front offices make "trying to win" moves. I mean Minnesota was "trying to win" when they made that awful Gobert trade; do they deserve a pat on the back?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:38 pm
TOO wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:35 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:32 pm
TOO wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:30 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:29 pm

LOL. James Jones could hand you a winning Powerball ticket and you'd somehow figure out a way to not give him credit.
Stop me when I'm lying lol.
I don't believe the idea that Beal would only go to Phoenix.
Maybe, maybe not, but I'd be willing to bet Ishbia has more pull than JJ. There's also a chance Washington just preferred the cap room to whatever Miami was offering.
I'm sure you'll hand all the credit to James Jones when the next move that doesn't work out as planned pops up.
I don't know what the next opportunity will be to blame Jones for something. He isn't going to be doing any drafting. We already know how he rolls when it comes to summer league, so no need to beat that dead horse. It's hard to knock vet minimum signings. I guess the Ayton trade will be on him. Or I guess Jones could take some heat for not trading Ayton.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Book has delivered (Brightside brought this up):
“I’d like to build a superteam. I’d like the superteam to come to me.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/devin-booker-b ... 27785.html