2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by The Bobster »

What they need most from the backup at that position is defense, so I can see why they're going with Goodwin. Payne played well in the final playoff game, but if they're in a similar situation where they're depending on Payne for offense they aren't going anywhere anyway.

I do like Payne though, and wish him well. As with Mikal, it was nice to see someone who obviously enjoys playing the game.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I rooted for Payne as hard as anyone on here and like some are saying, it's funny to hear some of these opinions on social media from supposed analysts....

I always said Cam's best moments was a spark plug and we needed that for our 2nd unit
Don't think anyone ever saw Payne as someone who orchestrated the offense and got everyone touches

So the whole Losing a PG thing to me is a bit of a stretch as we more of a "points guard"
Someone to bring up the ball against full court pressure ? Yes
But I don't see that as an issue
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Hate to see Payne go but I get it. Has been wildly inconsistent the last 2 seasons with both production and health. His skillset became a bit redundant with all the scoring added this offseason. Can't see the Spurs holding on to him either.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Payne’s Trade exception and a couple 2nds for Rubio.

Who says no?

I know mori would say yes.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I was out on Payne since 22 playoffs. Part of it was not having a better 3rd guard. I hope he does well somewhere else.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Hard to begrudge Ishbia for saving nearly $30M with this move, but it is a little disappointing. I’ve been down on Payne, but he’s better than nothing.

The thing I don’t like about this is that Payne was basically our last non-Ayton tradeable salary. If we were to move him, I was hoping he’d be combined with Ish and 2nd rounders to bring in a better player and that opportunity is gone now.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:35 am
Ayton for Turner and McConnell makes a lot of sense
I could legitimately see that happening.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:38 pm
Hard to begrudge Ishbia for saving nearly $30M with this move, but it is a little disappointing. I’ve been down on Payne, but he’s better than nothing.

The thing I don’t like about this is that Payne was basically our last non-Ayton tradeable salary. If we were to move him, I was hoping he’d be combined with Ish and 2nd rounders to bring in a better player and that opportunity is gone now.
True but we do have a trade exception now…can’t aggregate that with anything so it limits how much we can take back, but we can still acquire a player up to 6.5 million.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:13 pm
Payne’s Trade exception and a couple 2nds for Rubio.

Who says no?

I know mori would say yes.
I'd be up for Rubio, but I know others think he's washed. I feel like he could still give us something.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Rubio was awful last year

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:56 am
Terrible trade is a stretch…Payne hasn’t been very good for the last couple years. It was definitely trying to save money, but his skill set isn’t as important anymore. It seems they like Goodwin better…and I still don’t think they are done, so we’ll see who else is on the roster come training camp. Can’t evaluate individual moves in a vacuum.
We save a little money, get a TPE that might prove valuable down the line, and send Cam somewhere he gets to play in a contract year. Seems like a better option than keeping him on the bench waiting for somebody to get hurt.

We’re not going to win a championship with Payne playing major minutes in the playoffs. Whatever regular-season injury insurance he might have been provided doesn’t outweigh the benefits of the trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Fun fact, we’re only about 4.5 million over the 2nd apron right now. Wouldn’t be super hard to get under if we really wanted to

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Stats are pretty telling IMO. His length is a positive in obvious ways like 3pt defense and blocking defenders he's near but his overall size on the perimeter is a drawback and he's not great defending at the rim. So defensively, how to take advantage of what he does well while keeping him away from what he's bad at?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya he’s not great…there’s a reason Orlando cut him. But hopefully Vogel can find a way to use him effectively. I don’t have much expectations, but he’s a nice developmental project.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:19 pm
Fun fact, we’re only about 4.5 million over the 2nd apron right now. Wouldn’t be super hard to get under if we really wanted to
If we wanted to do it now, it would require an Ayton trade.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:48 pm
Ya he’s not great…there’s a reason Orlando cut him. But hopefully Vogel can find a way to use him effectively. I don’t have much expectations, but he’s a nice developmental project.
Bol’s the shinier object, but IMO Watford would have been a better developmental play.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I think, based on what we've seen under IshbiaGOAT, knowing it's July 16th, we aren't going into the regular season without a PG plan. This isn't the locked roster.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looking at our depth chart, I have it:

PG: Booker, Goodwin, Lee(2-way)
SG: Beal, Gordon, Lee
SF: Okogie, Watanabe, Camara
PF: Durant, Bates-Diop, Metu
C: Ayton, Eubanks, Bol

I don’t really see a place for Wainright. I don’t see him making the team. We could also start KBD and have Okogie play backup 3 and slide Watanabe to backup 4.

I don’t see an obvious hole. If Goodwin is good, our backcourt is set. I like Okogie in that 5th starter role mostly because I think we need a POA defender and it keeps the bench really solid across the board. We’ll see what happens though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:49 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:19 pm
If we wanted to do it now, it would require an Ayton trade.
Yep..Ayton for Turner and a small contract would do it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:51 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:48 pm
Bol’s the shinier object, but IMO Watford would have been a better developmental play.
Ya I really wanted Watford, oh well…seems weird he hasn’t signed anywhere.