Around the League: Week 6 (11/27 - 12/3)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Gladiator

Re: Around the League: Week 6 (11/27 - 12/3)

Post by Gladiator »

Yeah I don’t have an issue with what Williams did. He probably didn’t expect Edward’s to take off from so far away from the basket. He was barely late as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ It's a basketball play, but it shouldn't be. Running up and then slamming on the breaks, hoping the offensive player will smash into you, is not good basketball. It's putting the onus on the ref to decide the play, and it risks injury to the offensive player.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How about Mark Cuban's ROI on his 300K investment? Something like 3.5 billion dollars.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:36 pm
^ It's a basketball play, but it shouldn't be. Running up and then slamming on the breaks, hoping the offensive player will smash into you, is not good basketball. It's putting the onus on the ref to decide the play, and it risks injury to the offensive player.
So because a guy is going up for a monster dunk the defender shouldn’t do anything? It seems to me the defender was there and set before the launch. It looked like a charge. The problem wasn’t the defender, but Edwards trying too hard to put on a show.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
How are you supposed to defend drivers if not by getting to their spot before they do? Just stand aside and swipe at the ball as they go by?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:53 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
How are you supposed to defend drivers if not by getting to their spot before they do? Just stand aside and swipe at the ball as they go by?
They should put their palms up toward the basket and say, "here ya go."
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Count me as one who hates charges and thinks they should be legislated out…I’d at least move the restricted circle further out. Help defenders sliding over and making zero play on the ball is stupid. That specifically is the play I’d get rid of.

Carno

Post by Carno »

Personally, I think taking away charges will just turn the game into the all-star game where everyone just gets out of the way. How about the offensive player stays in control and doesn't run into a defender that holds a legal guarding position?

Cap

Post by Cap »

If there’s no charge, what incentive does the offensive player have not to just barrel over everyone between him and the basket?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:28 pm
If there’s no charge, what incentive does the offensive player have not to just barrel over everyone between him and the basket?
You mean like Gianis already does?

Carno

Post by Carno »

Which is kind of my point. It's ridiculous how bad the NBA is at calling offensive contact. Let defenders defend.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The whole foul/charge play is one of the most dangerous plays in basketball. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but we never called or allowed charges to be called during pickup games. If you tried to take one, it was a foul on you, no matter how clean it was. And then, you would get ridiculed and mocked for attempting to do it the rest of the day. I doubt that it's much different for NBA players in off-season pickup games, where they are calling their own fouls.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:29 pm
Cap wrote:
You mean like Gianis already does?
I’d rather see Giannis officiated like everybody else than everybody else officiated like Giannis.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

I miss charges. It was called differently in the past. Way more often. I remember Nash and others drawing charges and loved it.
My secret basketball dream (other than a suns championship) is them getting back to it.
Offense will adapt (there was not more injuries at the time), only guys like Giannis will surfer because most of their offense is bull-charging and I won't miss it.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Cap wrote:
It's worked for LeBron and Giannis so far

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s a huge difference between a help defender stepping in to take a charge and the primary defender taking a charge. I wouldn’t stop calling offensive fouls on guys barreling through the primary defender. It’s simply the slide over at the last second variety that I hate. That’s why I think simply moving the restricted circle out more would solve the problem. That or say you have to be set before the patient gathers…sliding under them right as they are jumping is the worst…it sucks. I’d even be willing to allow more contact by the defender if they make an actual play on the ball.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:51 pm
The whole foul/charge play is one of the most dangerous plays in basketball. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but we never called or allowed charges to be called during pickup games. If you tried to take one, it was a foul on you, no matter how clean it was. And then, you would get ridiculed and mocked for attempting to do it the rest of the day. I doubt that it's much different for NBA players in off-season pickup games, where they are calling their own fouls.
People who take charges in pickup are terrible humans

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

GP2 is the Warriors most important role player, and that includes Andrew Wiggins.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know exactly how to solve the block/charge problem. But I sort of feel like they should let contact go, so long as both players are in the air, and it isn't on the arms. So like if you jump up to defend a guy jumping at the basket, and you bump his body without swiping at him, it should be okay. So the defender can still defend you, and you don't get rewarded for just plowing into people and drawing fouls.