2017 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Post by SDC »

so what are the suns' needs right now, since they have everything (star pgs, shooters, 3 and D guys, rim protectors, savvy veterans, big men who shoots threes, speed, height)

a star player?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The pgs are trash, the pfs are super young, the centers need an upgrade and they need depth. The biggest change in their fortunes would come from a star pass first pg, then a force on the low block. This year a pg in the draft, then next year that stud center.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

for your consideration: Peter Jok (takes 9 3pt attempts a game)

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... =pts_per_g

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We need a pass-first PG in the worst way. Ulis might grow into that role, but he isn't ready yet. Bledsoe has had some good individual games lately, but I just don't think it is in his DNA to make other players better.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:We need a pass-first PG in the worst way. Ulis might grow into that role, but he isn't ready yet. Bledsoe has had some good individual games lately, but I just don't think it is in his DNA to make other players better.
I think Ulis is ready for more playing time.
The problem is that he often plays the same time Knight does.
And Knight holds onto the ball tighter than a 2nd amendment NRA fanatic holds onto a gun.
Barbosa, god bless him, isn't too much better.

I'd like to see how Ulis does with Booker or even Jenkins...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd like to see a Ulis/Booker backcourt more often, too. I agree that is probably a better way for Ulis to succeed.

SDC

Post by SDC »

LazarusLong wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:We need a pass-first PG in the worst way. Ulis might grow into that role, but he isn't ready yet. Bledsoe has had some good individual games lately, but I just don't think it is in his DNA to make other players better.
I think Ulis is ready for more playing time.
The problem is that he often plays the same time Knight does.
And Knight holds onto the ball tighter than a 2nd amendment NRA fanatic holds onto a gun.
Barbosa, god bless him, isn't too much better.
and that is one of the reasons why knight should be starting with bledsoe and booker. if lillard and mccollum can coexist (and dragic/bledsoe) so can they.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'd trade Bledsoe and Knight for Malik Monk and De'Aaron Fox right now.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:I'd trade Bledsoe and Knight for Malik Monk and De'Aaron Fox right now.

I haven't seen enough of them yet, but I'd hesitate on Monk right now. He's a great scorer, but falls into the same trap that knight and bledsoe do. He's small for a 2 guard and I'm not sure he has the play making skills to be a 1.

De'Aaron Fox is interesting as I think he's got some good pg skills and he's a great athlete, but I worry about his shot. The John Wall comparisons are easy because they both went to Kentucky, but he's not as freaky athletically as Wall. Wall got by without a jumpshot because he was always the fastest guy on the court and could finish at the rim. Fox is fast, but not Wall fast and I think he'll struggle to score in the nba without a reliable jumper.

Still super early to make judgements, and I'd probably make the same trade just for the sake of change and for banking on potential. But I wouldn't be surprised if a Monk/Fox pairing in the NBA isn't really much of an upgrade from Bled/Knight.

I'm more interested in Markelle Fultz, Frank Ntilikina, and Lonzo Ball as guard prospects right now.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What do you think of Dennis Smith Jr? I haven't seen a ton of him, but he seems like more of a Steve Francis-type. Super talented, though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:What do you think of Dennis Smith Jr? I haven't seen a ton of him, but he seems like more of a Steve Francis-type. Super talented, though.
Ya, I'm not sure what I think about Dennis Smith yet, I need to watch some more as most of what I know about him comes from scouting reports. Great athlete, has great size for the 1 and has some range on his shot. I've read that he's a good and willing passer, but I hear that a lot and it's not always true. I remember when the scouting report on Derrick Rose coming out of high school was a D Wade/J Kidd hybrid. Pre Injury the D Wade comparison makes sense, but Rose never showed anything resembling Kidd as floor general. So I'm going to withhold judgement on Smith until I can determine if he really is a good and willing passer.

Statistically, he looks a lot like Bledsoe. He's putting up 20/5/4 this year for NC State. Shooting numbers aren't great, roughly 42% and 30% from 3, but he gets to the line and converts at a high rate over 85%

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:I'd trade Bledsoe and Knight for Malik Monk and De'Aaron Fox right now.

I haven't seen enough of them yet, but I'd hesitate on Monk right now. He's a great scorer, but falls into the same trap that knight and bledsoe do. He's small for a 2 guard and I'm not sure he has the play making skills to be a 1.

De'Aaron Fox is interesting as I think he's got some good pg skills and he's a great athlete, but I worry about his shot. The John Wall comparisons are easy because they both went to Kentucky, but he's not as freaky athletically as Wall. Wall got by without a jumpshot because he was always the fastest guy on the court and could finish at the rim. Fox is fast, but not Wall fast and I think he'll struggle to score in the nba without a reliable jumper.

Still super early to make judgements, and I'd probably make the same trade just for the sake of change and for banking on potential. But I wouldn't be surprised if a Monk/Fox pairing in the NBA isn't really much of an upgrade from Bled/Knight.

I'm more interested in Markelle Fultz, Frank Ntilikina, and Lonzo Ball as guard prospects right now.
I was trying to switch Kentucky guards for younger Kentucky guards that are playing better together. Besides, I just don't feel like they have a ton of value right now. I'm a fan of of Fultz and Ball, but haven't seen much of Ntilikina or Smith yet. Hopefully, we get to see much more of all of them before the draft. I would love to have a big pass first pg, that can rebound and score too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

I was trying to switch Kentucky guards for younger Kentucky guards that are playing better together. Besides, I just don't feel like they have a ton of value right now. I'm a fan of of Fultz and Ball, but haven't seen much of Ntilikina or Smith yet. Hopefully, we get to see much more of all of them before the draft. I would love to have a big pass first pg, that can rebound and score too.
That's fair, I'd take a chance on it too, but I'd just be cautious about my expectations.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

That's fair, I'd take a chance on it too, but I'd just be cautious about my expectations.
I agree, I'd be cautious as all get out. I do think that Fox seems to be a better passer than either Bledsoe or Knight right now, and is taller and more athletic than Knight. Monk is a better shooter, scorer, and taller than either, and seems more athletic than Knight at least. I'm just not a fan of either of these Suns guards, and think they are holding the other players back a little in that they don't make anyone else better, IMO.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Keep an eye on Johnathon Issac from FSU 6'10 185, averaging 15 points, 7 boards, 1 steal, 1 block while shooting 44% from 3, 59% from the field. Physically and statistically pretty similar to Brandon Ingram.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Split T wrote:Keep an eye on Johnathon Issac from FSU 6'10 185, averaging 15 points, 7 boards, 1 steal, 1 block while shooting 44% from 3, 59% from the field. Physically and statistically pretty similar to Brandon Ingram.
but the suns already have chriss, right?

a better choice is Pitt senior michael young. 6'9" 235lbs
23.6ppg, 47% 3pt, 56% FG, 86% FT, 8.3 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.4 bpg

Split T

Post by Split T »

SDC wrote:
Split T wrote:Keep an eye on Johnathon Issac from FSU 6'10 185, averaging 15 points, 7 boards, 1 steal, 1 block while shooting 44% from 3, 59% from the field. Physically and statistically pretty similar to Brandon Ingram.

Issac will be a long wing in the Durant-Antetekoumpo-Ingram mold, perhaps capable of playing the 4 when he bulks up, but not a true 4. I don't know anything about Michael Young, his numbers are impressive this year, but he hasn't really been on the NBA radar as far as I can tell. He doesn't show up anywhere on Chad Ford's top 100 or Draft Express top 100. Draft Express ranks him as the 41st best senior prospect. That doesn't mean he can't make it to the NBA, but I'm not spending a 1st round pick on him.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Split T wrote:
SDC wrote:

Issac will be a long wing in the Durant-Antetekoumpo-Ingram mold, perhaps capable of playing the 4 when he bulks up, but not a true 4. I don't know anything about Michael Young, his numbers are impressive this year, but he hasn't really been on the NBA radar as far as I can tell. He doesn't show up anywhere on Chad Ford's top 100 or Draft Express top 100. Draft Express ranks him as the 41st best senior prospect. That doesn't mean he can't make it to the NBA, but I'm not spending a 1st round pick on him.
i havent seen young play, but i would risk a late first round pick on him if he maintains his numbers.

SDC

Post by SDC »

here are the best sophomore and freshmen players in college

SDC

Post by SDC »

impressive 7 footer from arizona and finland's own.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... nen-1.html