Ryan out as GM

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Ryan out as GM

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:56 pm
SDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 pm
EDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 pm
SDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 pm
in hindsight, not giving up josh jackson for kyrie irving was a terrible mistake.
I would rather have Ayton than Kyrie. The tank race was awfully close last season.
you can have both actually. the team wasnt ready to win last season, and kyrie was planning to shut himself down anyways.
Kyrie planned to hurt his knee and then get an infection inside it?
The trade involved would have included Jackson and the 2018 draft pick, so no Ayton or Jackson.
fake news. even mcdo isnt that dumb.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 pm
McDonough was awful, but Sarver is coming across like he hasn't got a clue. I'm with the majority in questioning the timing. It's hard for this to make much of a difference for me: we already made the stupid Mikal Bridges trade, we already blew all of the cap space on the ridiculous Ariza signing, and we took on Ryan Anderson's corpse. Firing McDonough doesn't change any of that.

Just around the corner is some abysmal trade giving up our (lotto) first round pick for Pat Beverly. More vomit to come.
lonzo seems gettable.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC, you live in an alternate reality.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:35 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
SDC wrote:
EDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 pm

I would rather have Ayton than Kyrie. The tank race was awfully close last season.
you can have both actually. the team wasnt ready to win last season, and kyrie was planning to shut himself down anyways.
The trade involved would have included Jackson and the 2018 draft pick, so no Ayton or Jackson.
Exactly, that's why he never made the trade.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Sarver likely only hires puppets to be his GM. That’s universally accepted across the league. I’m fine with hiring James Jones as a player friendly GM but something’s got to give with Sarver making us a laughing stock.

SDC

Post by SDC »

re the suns chances of getting lonzo. james jones is the interim gm, who is close to lebron.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

SDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 pm
re the suns chances of getting lonzo. james jones is the interim gm, who is close to lebron.
What a stupid ass idea SDC

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 pm
SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
SDC wrote:

the 2018 suns pick was never offered to cleveland.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 pm
SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

the 2018 suns pick was never offered to cleveland.
Right, what's the problem?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sarver says 'I was hoping to be further along in the rebuilding process' and "flip the switch' and 'we want to win now'. But that's not realistic. Even if you give your GM a blank canvas to create a playoff team, that's not going to happen over one offseason.

Still, if tanking another year was not the goal (for better or worse), this offseason has been a fail all things considered. Ayton-Kokoskov is nice, but there was so much that could have been done to put this team in a unquestionable good direction.

The roster could and should have been way more balanced given the assets spent. The huge hole at C was obviously patched, but then McD used cap space, picks and trades and the net result is a void at PG, a logjam at the wings and questionable 3pt shooting.

Just by not spending the MIA pick, this would be way more palatable. McD didn't learn his lesson after the LAL pick. You don't move assets of this caliber unless you are getting a real difference maker. Not an almost star in the East. Not a nice role player prospect. A STAR. That's why BOS and PHI go out of their way giving up leyends and local kids to acquire this kind of assets. With that pick you would be a big player in trades for the high caliber PG we need so much.

There is still Booker-Ayton-Kokoskov to watch, but once again we have made things unnecessarily hard for ourselves. Sarver won't change, though, so don't expect any better.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

BTW, my first move as the new GM would be putting Jackson on the market, hoping that the turmoil fools someone into believing he still has high lotto value.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would love to trade Jackson and the Mil pick for Lillard

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 am
I would love to trade Jackson and the Mil pick for Lillard
ahha of course we'd love that. POR, not so much.

That's a package that could entice teams actually looking to rebuild, not to remain competitive. And regardless of team direction, that's way too low for a star of Lillard's caliber. Maybe MEM for Conley if they realize they are past it and blow it up?

SDC

Post by SDC »

jackson and sun 2019 pick (top 3 protected) for lonzo

SDC

Post by SDC »

so the rumors back then was kyrie for josh jackson, eric bledsoe, and the 2018 miami pick

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Sarver said there's no good time to make a change...but there is - at the end of the season. Why start the season off with such turmoil? Something must have come to a head. Either a trade was there for a PG that McD didn't want to make or maybe Sarver realized this team - after the draft picks, after the FA signings, after the trade - was still 30-win team and he'd had enough. But you don't start your season off firing the GM.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Ignoring all his past indiscretions if we’re sitting here with a solid PG instead of Bridges and no Miami pick, I guess there’s a chance he’s still here.

But Kokoskov probably carries some political weight with his experience and would already have a feel for how McD’s viewed by both the players (indifferent, I’d also guess) and by himself (where tf’s my PG?! It’s my job on the line too!) ... those factors together aren’t favourable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Whenever you see a young player plagued by inconsistency, with boneheaded plays and highlight plays lumped in with each other, it either means that you're dealing with a knucklehead who'll never get it OR a young star looking for a breakout season. Josh Jackson looks an awful lot like the latter. I think that he was hurt by Triano -- who really bonded with him -- no longer being here and it might take him a bit to establish the same kind of rapport with Igor (who might do well to sit him). Trade him and watch him become a perennial all-star.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:34 am
Sarver said there's no good time to make a change...but there is - at the end of the season. Why start the season off with such turmoil? Something must have come to a head. Either a trade was there for a PG that McD didn't want to make or maybe Sarver realized this team - after the draft picks, after the FA signings, after the trade - was still 30-win team and he'd had enough. But you don't start your season off firing the GM.
I would argue that the best time is not the end of the season because the off-season starts so soon and is a critical time for a GM. I would think for a non-playoff team, the day after the trade deadline would be best.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea that's probably the best time actually given the offseason prep and evaluation for the rest of the season. I just imagine it'd be hard for an exec to take over at this point and go right into a season with no prep.