TRADE: Ayton/Camara for Nurkic/Allen/Little/Johnson

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
BKinSJC

Re: TRADE: Ayton/Camara for Nurkic/Allen/Little/Johnson

Post by BKinSJC »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:32 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:14 pm
Thing is, we know Little can play. Camara is still a question mark at this level, tho I was cautiously optimistic about him. He and Little would've been redundant.

For the Bucks, they take a step back defensively as Jrue was a big time perimeter defender. Dame is lightyears ahead in terms of offense, so it'll be interesting to see that trade-off. If we see them in the Finals, it won't be Jrue hounding Book which is a plus IMO.
For the people complaining about seeing the Bucks in the Finals, I'd love to see them in the Finals again. I'd love to see ANYBODY in the Finals.
Bucks are going to have to be a different kind of team now. I love Giannis and Dame as an offensive combo, but losing Jrue and having Middleton lose some of his mojo post-injury, they can't really be anything like the same kind of perimeter defensive nightmare that they were in the championship year. I'd even say they don't have anybody who could seriously slow down Book or Beal right now, if you're assuming that Giannis is occupied with Durant.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:19 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:03 pm
I think it’s very likely we flip 2 of the pieces for someone like TJ McConnell
Kinda like the idea of trying to flip Allen, Johnson and few seconds for Caruso. Fantastic defender and has familiarity with Vogel.
Chicago looking to move him?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:07 pm
Split T wrote:
Too bad we couldn't have ended up with Jrue Holiday.
I would have also been happy with Drew holiday

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:05 pm
Sunsfanatic76 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:51 pm
Overall, I think this trade is a very poor value return for Ayton due to Nurkic's lack of lateral movement ability and overall really poor durability. Nurkic may (if lucky) play around half the season at best? Then not getting McConnell or Martin is a big value loss from ending up with little and Johnson. The contractual savings are a plus, and our depth is better defensively too. But neither wing offers legit size, although Allen will be an absolute pest defensively and will add an element of dirty thuggery to our team. Overall my biggest concern here is really Nurkic. I really hope that we can flip him for a better more mobile and athltic rim protecting center option.
Nurk is a smart basketball player, passes the ball well, can rebound, score in the paint in multiple ways, he made 36% from three, he plays strong. On defense he simply isn’t switchable.
Little plays big for his height. He will be in this league a long time and has potential to be a starting stretch 4 next year.
No thanks. Don’t want a 6’5” PF unless it’s Charles Barkley, lol.
Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:05 pm
People are grieving the player they wanted Ayton to be.
And what are you going to say when he is that player in Portland?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:46 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:15 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:21 pm
My gut is that I don't think we have a better shot at winning the title this season than we did 2 hours ago and I think our chances might be worse.
I think our chance are worse too but I don’t think it’s it significantly worst or anything, maybe just a couple points.

The silver linings, to me at least, our depth is pretty solid outside of pg, and I think we have some flexibility to make some decent moves at the deadline if we need too, we have some nice mid size contracts that we can trade, also fully stocked inventory of 2nd rounds picks as well.
We're not done making moves, right? 2 out and 4 in. We've got too many players?
I sit corrected. According to AZSports, we're good as is.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:29 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:22 pm
Ayton sitting in game 6 was the equivalent of Kelly sitting out the bubble.
This is insane. Kelly was medically cleared to play. Ayton had trouble breathing from bruised ribs, which are no joke.
I don’t think Book, KD and co felt the same way. Especially after they watched Andrew Wiggins tough out the same injury.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:23 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:29 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:22 pm
Ayton sitting in game 6 was the equivalent of Kelly sitting out the bubble.
This is insane. Kelly was medically cleared to play. Ayton had trouble breathing from bruised ribs, which are no joke.
I don’t think Book, KD and co felt the same way. Especially after they watched Andrew Wiggins tough out the same injury.
No two injuries are the same. People are just assuming that he could have played. It’s unwarranted slander.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Split T wrote:
Kinda like the idea of trying to flip Allen, Johnson and few seconds for Caruso. Fantastic defender and has familiarity with Vogel.
Chicago looking to move him?

Not sure, they have Ayo there and just signed Jevon Carter, feels like Caruso could be get, but maybe wishful thinking on my part lol

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:22 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
My gut is that I don't think we have a better shot at winning the title this season than we did 2 hours ago and I think our chances might be worse.
I think our chance are worse too but I don’t think it’s it significantly worst or anything, maybe just a couple points.

The silver linings, to me at least, our depth is pretty solid outside of pg, and I think we have some flexibility to make some decent moves at the deadline if we need too, we have some nice mid size contracts that we can trade, also fully stocked inventory of 2nd rounds picks as well.
Then I guess Ish and someone else are getting cut?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:22 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

You were right the first time. We have 17 players under contract now. We can go into camp with up to 21, but need to shed 2 before the season starts.

Sunsfanatic76

Post by Sunsfanatic76 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:53 pm
Sunsfanatic76 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:51 pm
Overall, I think this trade is a very poor value return for Ayton due to Nurkic's lack of lateral movement ability and overall really poor durability. Nurkic may (if lucky) play around half the season at best? Then not getting McConnell or Martin is a big value loss from ending up with little and Johnson. The contractual savings are a plus, and our depth is better defensively too. But neither wing offers legit size, although Allen will be an absolute pest defensively and will add an element of dirty thuggery to our team. Overall my biggest concern here is really Nurkic. I really hope that we can flip him for a better more mobile and athltic rim protecting center option.
Nurkic's missed games total is a misnomer. The Blazers were tanking.

I don't know how you can say Little doesn't offer legit size. The guy is massive for a wing.
I hope you're right about Nurkic and the tanking factor, But over the last 4 seasons Nurkic has played in less than half of the games throughout the season, even with Lillard there. And I don't think that they were intentionally tanking with Dame still there! (with the exception of last season of course). Then there was the the 2015,2016, and 2017 seasons in which he played less than half the season too with respect to his injury in 2019 further affecting his overall durability concerns even further. And that's still apart from his additional lateral mobility concerns too. But mostly, his durability is ABSOLUTELY a legitimate area of concern.

And Nassir Little is really only 6'5 even though some list him at 6'6 (He's really only one inch bigger than Okogie) although with more bulk at 220 lbs to Okogie's 207 lbs. Honestly Little is basically a better shooting slightly less defensive version of Okogie himself. And is likely only part of the trade as a salary filler to make the numbers work for Portland due to lack of diverse contract availability. I like Little reasonably enough. But wouldn't at all be surprised to see him flipped elsewhere in a package alongside of Johnson and possibly with Nurkic for a better fitting more mobile rim protecting center option around the deadline?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Last edited by Split T on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. Now only Book left from our 2021 Finals team.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This one got me. :lol:

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:41 pm
Wow. Now only Book left from our 2021 Finals team.
No... Lemonade guy is still there.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:42 pm
This one got me. :lol:

OH SNAP!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Lots of smart guys aren't so against the trade.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Because they know who Deandre Ayton is as an NBA player.

3TheHardaway

Post by 3TheHardaway »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they're still working to move Jrue elsewhere, this trade won't be finalized?

I think I'll be surprised if all 4 players land in Phoenix once finalized.

I think in terms of talent Nurkic is a significant downgrade, however, I don't think I realized how reliable he was from 3, and how well he can operate from the high post in terms of finding cutters or guys coming off screens. If you watch any film of him, you'll also notice that he doesn't duck contact unlike DA (I scolded by the wife too many times yelling "YOURE THE BIGGEST DUDE ON THE FLOOR, STOP FADING AWAY YOU MONUMENTAL P****).

His matchup against Jokic from December last season provides some optimism; he bodied Jokic and Gordon, finished through contact, and his ability to space the floor on pick-pop causes Jokic to have to run a bit more on defense than he would like.

Nurkic alone will change the dynamic going against Denver, and if guys are healthy, that's really the hardest match-up I can see out west. I don't buy the Lakers adding Gabe and Prince as being needle moving. Clippers haven't done much, Warriors will be worse. Kings will be interesting, but you don't exactly need dominant post play to frustrate Sabonis.

Milwaukee is scary as hell on paper now. We have nothing to throw in Giannis's way like Miami, Boston can.

Can't wait to actually start the season.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

TOO wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:43 pm
Lots of smart guys aren't so against the trade.
Yea... I don't like what we got, but I understand. They've been shopping him for 2 years and knew it was destined to happen. Just wished for more; especially after his amazing performance playing for Bahamas (sic). His "amazing" performance didn't even move the needle remotely in getting us a better return.