Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:Would you rather win a championship or field a roster of 19 and 20-year-olds? Wait, don't answer that. :lol:
The problem is thinking the two are mutually exclusive. Pick for veteran trades and pick now for pick later trades hardly ever workout for the team dealing the picks. The fact that I have to tell this to a Suns fan is both sad and hilarious at the same time.

And the "roster of 19-20 year olds" comment is a ridiculous hyperbole.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:Seriously, my gut tells me we'll bring in one or two rookies at most and we will start tinkering with some name free agents or dabble in a trade or two for proven players.
Yeah, I seriously doubt we're keeping all three 1st rounders - my gut says we'll have one left & it'll be the highest. How high that pick will end up, I couldn't tell you.....

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

If Aaron Gordon falls a little I think we will trade up for him. Its a bold prediction, because really Its a pure guess on who Mcdonaugh likes, but I think 18 may be enough to get us up to like 10 for a team like Philadelphia.

14 and 18 For #10 and we take Aaron Gordon (he won't make it past 10)

we then take BPA at 27 and a draft and stash at 50 and call it a draft.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

SDC

Post by SDC »

off season, summer league.

the only thing i want to see is alex len averaging 20-25 shots a game.

what i dont want to see is archie goodwin on a daily basis becoming the top scorer for the summer league team. there's a temptation by pgs (since they have the ball most of the time) to do too much to try to impress the suns staff. archie needs to control himself and let his Len gain confidence. I already know whan goodwin can do. Now, let's see what Len can do.

so here's what i need to see:
1) the only time archie goes for his shot is during a) open court fastbreaks b) catching the ball off a Len doubleteam c) pick and roll plays with Len. I especially want to see how efficient goodwin is on open spot up shooting.
2) what i need to see from len is inside scoring, midrange jumpers more than rebounding and defense. in the half court offense, the plays should be 60% post ups to Len, 30% pick and rolls, 10% goodwin Isos.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:Would you rather win a championship or field a roster of 19 and 20-year-olds? Wait, don't answer that. :lol:
The problem is thinking the two are mutually exclusive. Pick for veteran trades and pick now for pick later trades hardly ever workout for the team dealing the picks. The fact that I have to tell this to a Suns fan is both sad and hilarious at the same time.

And the "roster of 19-20 year olds" comment is a ridiculous hyperbole.
You don't have to tell me anything. When did I say anything about picks for veteran trades or picks for later picks?

You're confusing me. You say it's ridiculous hyperbole but claim that a championship with a roster full of them is possible. I can't wait to hear your list of teams full of predominantly 22-year-olds that won championships.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I don't mind if they traded for a future 1. I just would mind if they traded for a future 1 before seeing the board unfold and who was available (Ie the Igudedola/Deng disaster).

I think every case when talking about trading a pick in the draft is different depending on the team, the pick, who your trading with, and whats available at the time.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I don't mind if they traded for a future 1. I just would mind if they traded for a future 1 before seeing the board unfold and who was available (Ie the Igudedola/Deng disaster).
Yeah, that was a ridiculous disaster and totally unnecessary and haunts us to this day. Who knows if Iguodala might have been the difference between us winning our first championship or not? Nash, Amare, Marion, AND Iguodala? Wow.
Sunsfan4life wrote: I think every case when talking about trading a pick in the draft is different depending on the team, the pick, who your trading with, and whats available at the time.
Exactly.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote: You're confusing me. You say it's ridiculous hyperbole but claim that a championship with a roster full of them is possible. I can't wait to hear your list of teams full of predominantly 22-year-olds that won championships.
That's not what I said. And what I was implying is that you draft to build a contender. No, those 19-22 year olds are not going to win a championship tomorrow. But you draft them, develop them, maybe even trade some of them, but that's how you build a contender, especially if you're not LA or NY or you don't already have a superstar. And it's a ridiculous hyperbole because we still have guys like Channing Frye, P.J. Tucker, Goran Dragic, Gerald Green, Miles Plumlee. And those aren't end of bench guys; those are our best players. So the team full of 19-22 year olds is just silly.

The Suns have entered this offseason thinking they're closer than what they really are. The front office is drunk off of a 37-game stretch of the Bledsoe/Dragic combo, an Archie Goodwin 29-point game, and a Cinderella season, and it's leading to them once again undervaluing and underutilizing the draft after just one season. And they've chosen to operate that way in one of the best draft classes in years. Great timing.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Suns have entered this offseason thinking they're closer than what they really are. The front office is drunk off of a 37-game stretch of the Bledsoe/Dragic combo, an Archie Goodwin 29-point game, and a Cinderella season, and it's leading to them once again undervaluing and underutilizing the draft after just one season. And they've chosen to operate that way in one of the best draft classes in years. Great timing.

I don't think that's the case and I don't get that sense from the FO.

TOO

Post by TOO »

So. Many. Assumptions.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

ShelC wrote:The Suns have entered this offseason thinking they're closer than what they really are. The front office is drunk off of a 37-game stretch of the Bledsoe/Dragic combo, an Archie Goodwin 29-point game, and a Cinderella season, and it's leading to them once again undervaluing and underutilizing the draft after just one season. And they've chosen to operate that way in one of the best draft classes in years. Great timing.

Agreed - what I'm getting strongest so far is McDonough intends to move up in the draft. We may not have all three 1st rounders when it's all said & done, but we're not checking out of the draft.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:So. Many. Assumptions.
I'll be happy to see McDonough prove me wrong. But the handwriting is on the wall.

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

ShelC wrote:The Suns have entered this offseason thinking they're closer than what they really are. The front office is drunk off of a 37-game stretch of the Bledsoe/Dragic combo, an Archie Goodwin 29-point game, and a Cinderella season, and it's leading to them once again undervaluing and underutilizing the draft after just one season. And they've chosen to operate that way in one of the best draft classes in years. Great timing.

I agree
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

TOO

Post by TOO »

Maybe, maybe not. What I dont get is why you see it as such a negative? Its not like we're looking to sell picks for cash or just give them away. McD has shown to be an adept trader thus far and seems to know what his vision is.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think McD is going to use the picks, package them, move up, or something else to create more assets, either for the future or towards the current team. Either way, taking what they currently have and create more, whether we have more rookies or not, or even more picks or not.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

Captain Marv-el wrote:

I agree
but I completely OVERstand why ShelC feel like that
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:So. Many. Assumptions.
I'll be happy to see McDonough prove me wrong. But the handwriting is on the wall.
Maybe I'm looking at a diferent wall, but I see the events developing more along the lines of what In2ition says.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I just see unnecessary doom and gloom, but to each his own.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

I'm just glad I have shades.....

TOO

Post by TOO »

Are they rose colored? Mine are.