Phoenix Suns Training Camp 2019 - Flagstaff, AZ - Oct 1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Phoenix Suns Training Camp 2019 - Flagstaff, AZ - Oct 1

Post by O_Gardino »

Apologies if this has been posted already, but according to the Timeline, Aaron Baynes broke his nose during training camp.

Mentioned at about the 15 minutes mark.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:37 pm
Wow, I just do not get the booing of Cam. You can totally argue whether or not he was the right pick (I personally would have taken Clarke myself), but don't boo Cam, boo Jones and Sarver over that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:01 am
Superbone wrote:
Wow, I just do not get the booing of Cam. You can totally argue whether or not he was the right pick (I personally would have taken Clarke myself), but don't boo Cam, boo Jones and Sarver over that.
They were booing him for his dance moves...not anything related to him as a player, all is good.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:23 am
Apologies if this has been posted already, but according to the Timeline, Aaron Baynes broke his nose during training camp.

Mentioned at about the 15 minutes mark.
Ya, caught an elbow from Cam Johnson

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:29 am
Some of the reports/tweets about open practice mentioned Bridges and Oubre going thru some light drills and being active out there but not doing anything really full speed. Didn't seem like they were really slowed down by the injuries but just taking precautions.
Ya, both looked fine, were out there dunking, Lecque too. I’m sure we’re just being extra careful. I imagine they’ll be full go opening day.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:01 am
Superbone wrote:
Dude. Did you watch it? He's not a good dancer. Bridges was giving the thumbs down to the crowd to prompt their boos.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am
This is funny. SOMEONE will be the hated player on this team. My best guess is Kaminsky.
That is a good question: Who will be the scapegoat this year, the most polarizing or disliked player? Kaminsky is an interesting guess, but I think he won't play enough minutes to agitate people enough. It would have to be a rotation guy, a guy who is out there on the floor enough to actually mess things up.

What about Kelly Oubre? I like Oubre and am generally glad we kept him. But he seems to think he is part of the core of the team, part of our "big 3," when arguably that trio should be Booker-Rubio-Ayton. Will Oubre take too many shots? Will he complain about his role, given the abundance of SFs we always carry on our roster?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:
This is funny. SOMEONE will be the hated player on this team. My best guess is Kaminsky.
That is a good question: Who will be the scapegoat this year, the most polarizing or disliked player? Kaminsky is an interesting guess, but I think he won't play enough minutes to agitate people enough. It would have to be a rotation guy, a guy who is out there on the floor enough to actually mess things up.

What about Kelly Oubre? I like Oubre and am generally glad we kept him. But he seems to think he is part of the core of the team, part of our "big 3," when arguably that trio should be Booker-Rubio-Ayton. Will Oubre take too many shots? Will he complain about his role, given the abundance of SFs we always carry on our roster?
This is a tough question right now. You could be right, but it seems like all the guys right now are genuinely good guys with good character and may actually contribute positively to the team. It's hard to find a player right now that will be frustrating when Suns fans were given so many bad players in the past 4-5 years.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The most hated player is always a decent player who doesn't live up to fans very high expectations. Len / Barbosa, etc.

I think it'll be one or all of Rubio / Oubre / Ayton.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

I consider Oubre kind of part of the core. He signed a pretty big contract after auditioning for a season. I don’t consider him a Superstar but more like a James Worthy. A strong supporting cast member. Maybe Bridges overtakes him, maybe not. Maybe Oubre blossoms and becomes an integral part of a winning team. Maybe he got his contract and won’t be as aggressive and will slide down a peg or two. That’s why we watch. Nobody knows what will happen, who will shine, who will flop, will we win, will we fold or who will get injured. It’s like a roulette table.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:27 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

I consider Oubre kind of part of the core. He signed a pretty big contract after auditioning for a season. I don’t consider him a Superstar but more like a James Worthy. A strong supporting cast member. Maybe Bridges overtakes him, maybe not. Maybe Oubre blossoms and becomes an integral part of a winning team. Maybe he got his contract and won’t be as aggressive and will slide down a peg or two. That’s why we watch. Nobody knows what will happen, who will shine, who will flop, will we win, will we fold or who will get injured. It’s like a roulette table.
You do know James Worthy is in the Hall of Fame, right?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:05 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:16 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:28 am

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1180120385955618816

Jeesh. Was it that bad? Guys would just gather during timeouts in a silent huddle around coach Kokoskov? No wonder he never had any success. The guys never gave him a chance!
Isn't the coach the one who needs to set the tone? I would say it's more of a sign that Igor was not a good head coach.
There was a podcast (Timeline?) that clarified this comment. At the start of a timeout, the coaches huddle (separately) and the players huddle at the bench (take a drink, sit down for a 30-second rest, towel off, etc). Then the two groups come together to discuss what needs to be discussed. It was this initial part of the timeouts that Tyler was referencing. The players wouldn't say anything to each other. Not that the coaches were silent.
He is saying that the players are now vocal - I think saying that the new additions are bringing that voice and encouraging it from others.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:44 pm
Nodack wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

I knew someone would bust my balls. He was a badazz. I remember Magic and Kareem getting the most love. Maybe I should have said Kurt Rambis.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Looks like we'll get a heavy dose of Cam tomorrow, which is exciting. Wonder if we'll see Book at SF some with Bridges and Oubre out. That would open up some time for Tyler, Ty and maybe Carter or Okobo.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The Bobster wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

Worthy played in 926 NBA regular season games, averaging 17.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and three assists per game. It's amazing what warranted HOF when there are a ton of guys that provided more, statistically, in the more current era of players that won't sniff the HOF.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:14 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

Worthy played in 926 NBA regular season games, averaging 17.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and three assists per game. It's amazing what warranted HOF when there are a ton of guys that provided more, statistically, in the more current era of players that won't sniff the HOF.
Much like Kevin McHale? - 17.9/7.3/1.7 in 971 games

They were both the #3 players on their teams in the 1980's, which cut into their scoring opportunities dramatically. And Worthy cranked yup his game in the postseason - 21.1/5.2/3.2

I'd certainly take either of these guys over somebody like Pete Maravich, who put up gaudy numbers - 24.2/4.2/5.4 - because he was shooting the ball a lot and turning it over a ton or Carmelo Anthony, a ball-stopper who could score a bunch, but didn't you much of anything else.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:34 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:14 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Much like Kevin McHale? - 17.9/7.3/1.7 in 971 games

They were both the #3 players on their teams in the 1980's, which cut into their scoring opportunities dramatically. And Worthy cranked yup his game in the postseason - 21.1/5.2/3.2

I'd certainly take either of these guys over somebody like Pete Maravich, who put up gaudy numbers - 24.2/4.2/5.4 - because he was shooting the ball a lot and turning it over a ton or Carmelo Anthony, a ball-stopper who could score a bunch, but didn't you much of anything else.
Great points. There's more to it than numbers. And he played during an era I was far to young to remember (I was born in 83).
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think Worthy and McHale certainly shouldn't have made it into the HoF as quickly as they did over players like Sidney Moncrief, Paul Westphal, Bernard King or Kevin Johnson. They all have more individual accomplishments and made it into the Hall, but when you see players like McHale, Worthy or Dumars who never had to carry a playoff team on their backs, you have to wonder what the priorities are.

But the Hall set the bar years ago when they inducted Frank Ramsey, K.C. Jones and Bill Bradley - players who were good (and in Bradley's case a great college player) but role players - because they played on legendary championship teams, but I think McHale and Worthy are a cut above simple role players on great teams.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

I don’t see it with Oubre. He’s a fan favorite, he plays with high energy. He’s just a very likable guy. He could struggle a bit, but I don’t see us turning on him. Of the main guys, I actually think Rubio is most likely to be the scapegoat. Our complete lack of a pg the last 2 years helps him, but if he can’t hit shots and teams leave him wide open to crash down on Ayton and double booker, we could get frustrated with him. He was definitely the scapegoat amongst jazz fans last year.

In reality, I think it’s most likely no one is an overwhelming scapegoat. I think our team is better situated to handle rubio’s lack of shooting than the jazz were.

I still think frank will be the most hated player, assuming he gets rotation minutes. I think there will be a lot of calling for Diallo to take his minutes.