NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by Mori Chu »

Seeing a lot of takes online that amount to, "They should shut up and dribble." It's sad. The right to peacefully protest isn't as respected as it used to be.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:56 am
Seeing a lot of takes online that amount to, "They should shut up and dribble." It's sad. The right to peacefully protest isn't as respected as it used to be.
It is never respected if it goes counter to your beliefs. It wasn't respected during the suffrage movement. It wasn't during the civil rights marches in the 60s. It wasn't during the vietnam protests. It isn't now. For a fundamental right, we don't treat it like one.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:17 am
Here’s an idea: NBA players as poll workers in Democratic precincts. What a great way to encourage people to get out and vote!

No autographs, please.
Close--maybe they can volunteer through this program.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... to-recruit

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:05 am
Mori Chu wrote:
It is never respected if it goes counter to your beliefs. It wasn't respected during the suffrage movement. It wasn't during the civil rights marches in the 60s. It wasn't during the vietnam protests. It isn't now. For a fundamental right, we don't treat it like one.
The rioting and violence certainly hasn't helped, but from day one there was a disdain for the protesters by a large segment of the population.

The players are an easy target to criticize when they express their opinions because the people criticizing them feel their own opinions are just as valid. But does this mean a famous person shouldn't take advantage of the opportunities to get their opinions out there?

Unfortunately we have a hard time as a society when it comes to seeing someone else's opinion - we don't seem to have the ability to let someone state their and then either choose to ignore it or discuss it civilly. Having a lot of nutjobs out there spouting crackpot opinions doesn't help, but there are also a lot of keyboard warriors adding fuel to the fire. And it happens on both sides of nearly everything. And anyone who doesn't think so is fooling themselves.

Freedom of speech is pointless unless you allow differing viewpoints to be heard and judged on their own merit. Americans have always been quick to squash anything that can be labeled as "unpatriotic" or "anti-American." And those are some of the most important things that free speech protects.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:33 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:05 am
Mori Chu wrote:
The rioting and violence certainly hasn't helped, but from day one there was a disdain for the protesters by a large segment of the population.

The players are an easy target to criticize when they express their opinions because the people criticizing them feel their own opinions are just as valid. But does this mean a famous person shouldn't take advantage of the opportunities to get their opinions out there?

Unfortunately we have a hard time as a society when it comes to seeing someone else's opinion - we don't seem to have the ability to let someone state their and then either choose to ignore it or discuss it civilly. Having a lot of nutjobs out there spouting crackpot opinions doesn't help, but there are also a lot of keyboard warriors adding fuel to the fire. And it happens on both sides of nearly everything. And anyone who doesn't think so is fooling themselves.

Freedom of speech is pointless unless you allow differing viewpoints to be heard and judged on their own merit. Americans have always been quick to squash anything that can be labeled as "unpatriotic" or "anti-American." And those are some of the most important things that free speech protects.
Yeah, I usually fall on the side of not using your platform "for good" is more dereliction than using it. Of course, how you define "good" is subjective.

Also, on the 2nd bolded part: A lot of people lately don't seem to understand that freedom to say something does not mean freedom from consequences for what you say.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:46 am
A couple day delay probably doesn't do much in the grand scheme of things. It makes a news cycle or two. If they have a plan for how they think they can impact the world (and encourage their bosses to do the same), I hope they can find a way to make it happen. Doc's speech was pretty clear, and I don't know how anyone could listen to what he said and disagree with the fundamentals of it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:29 am
Cap wrote:
Here’s an idea: NBA players as poll workers in Democratic precincts. What a great way to encourage people to get out and vote!

No autographs, please.

It’s also a great way to recruit poll workers.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:36 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:29 am
Cap wrote:

No autographs, please.

It’s also a great way to recruit poll workers.
Agreed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

By the way, cap, you can probably delete this part of your signature now...
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm seeing tweets saying that the players have made the decision to resume the playoffs after tonight. Will post a link when I can find a good one.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:19 am
Yeah, I usually fall on the side of not using your platform "for good" is more dereliction than using it. Of course, how you define "good" is subjective.

Also, on the 2nd bolded part: A lot of people lately don't seem to understand that freedom to say something does not mean freedom from consequences for what you say.
Yep, it just means the government can't throw them in jail.

No protection against the public calling them an ass though!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:

No autographs, please.
Not a bad idea actually.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 am
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against
Cancel culture comes to phx-suns.net.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:24 am
Cap wrote:

No autographs, please.
Not a bad idea actually.
Show up to vote and LeBron James asks for your autograph. It’s like a Yakov Smirnoff joke.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:40 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:24 am
Cap wrote:

No autographs, please.
Not a bad idea actually.
Show up to vote and LeBron James asks for your autograph. It’s like a Yakov Smirnoff joke.
that made me chuckle more than any Yakov reference should in 2020.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:36 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 am
Cancel culture comes to phx-suns.net.
Ha. Worm hasn't said a thing to me about our bet since the Suns surpassed it even in a shortened season.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:54 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:43 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:14 pm
I'd rather go after Chris Boucher than Christian Wood.
Why do you prefer Boucher?
Mostly because he'll be cheaper.

Wood will be paid like a starter, which I don't have much of a problem with, but I'd rather the Suns give Cam Johnson a run at the starting PF spot.

I also think a Saric and Boucher front court off the bench could work well.
One thing to remember is a restricted free agent; I don't think you can make Boucher a reasonable offer and Ujiri doesn't match it.

Wood is the better, more complete player. I am willing to continue with Cam at the 4, but Wood gives you so much more diversity on the offensive end, especially with being able to give him minutes at the 5. He really is the perfect fit for the Suns.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BTW, the playoffs started up again. Bucks finished off the Magic in 5 after losing the first game. OKC/Rockets on now.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:16 pm
BTW, the playoffs started up again. Bucks finished off the Magic in 5 after losing the first game. OKC/Rockets on now.
Houston's running away with it. Up by 25 halfway through the 4th.