2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by djy2j »

The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's going to be an important week, maybe more important that ever before. Or maybe less important. Nonetheless, it's going to be important!
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'm sure this is exactly how Bledsoe saw his career playing out. I dOnT wAnNa bE hErE :lol: :roll:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why would the Nets trade Harden for Ben Simmons? Harden isn't having his very best season, but Harden + Kyrie + KD is an almost unstoppable trio. Ben Simmons is a broken man and who knows what he has left in the tank? They'd be throwing their whole season into chaos. And I wonder whether KD or Kyrie would like them jettisoning their star buddy. I don't see why Nets would go in this direction.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I had forgotten, Ben Simmons seems to be anti-vax, too? So he wouldn't be able to play home games for them just like Kyrie? Oof. I guess the Sixers would have to throw in other players and/or picks to make things work.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Simmons and Irving in the same locker room? My eyes would roll out of my head if my job was to get quotes from Nets players.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:11 pm
I'm sure this is exactly how Bledsoe saw his career playing out. I dOnT wAnNa bE hErE :lol: :roll:
Yeah, many teams saying, "We don't want you here either!"
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Flex reporting the Suns are kicking the tires on Domatas Sabonis. Others reporting GSW is too. All seem to agree the Pacers are shopping him.

I could see something like Justin Holiday & Sabonis for Ayton, Saric, and Smith.

Sabonis is locked in at #$18M per year for two seasons after this. I could actually see Sarver and Jones doing this as an alternative to having to go way over the LT to keep Ayton. A lot of people are scoffing at it, but I'm thinking it's way more plausible than people are giving it credit for.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we know we’re losing Ayton in the offseason, then maybe. But I’d still rather S&T Ayton in the offseason.

This works though:
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8tn7dou

Paul/Payne
Booker/Lavert
Bridges/Johnson
Crowder/Johnson
McGee/Sabonis

I’d still give Sabonis 30 minutes, but I’d rather he anchor the 2nd unit. I’d mostly have him play all the minutes Paul is on the bench. I think his playmaking would help Payne a lot. I’d need more than just Sabonis coming back though to make it worth it. Hence Lavert. I don’t love Lavert, but he’s talented.

Still, I don’t think I’d do this in season. Not when we are 41-10 and have a great shot at the title. There’s a chance this completely throws us off. Sabonis strikes me as a guy that can produce when he’s featured, but might struggle as a role player.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Sabonis is a nice offensive player but his defense is embarrassing. I don't see any way to acquire him without Ayton and I don't think I'd do that mid-season.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I don't see the point of trading great defense & efficient offense for good offense & poor defense.

If you want to go from championship contender to championship hopeful maybe.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:10 am
If we know we’re losing Ayton in the offseason, then maybe. But I’d still rather S&T Ayton in the offseason.
The only way they lose him is if they don't match a four-year max, which I can't see happening. A sign & trade? Sure, that's possible. But I don't see where Sabonis would make them a better team. He doesn't fill the real needs this team has lately - bench scoring and bench backcourt play.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:36 am
Split T wrote:
The only way they lose him is if they don't match a four-year max, which I can't see happening. A sign & trade? Sure, that's possible. But I don't see where Sabonis would make them a better team. He doesn't fill the real needs this team has lately - bench scoring and bench backcourt play.
Well if he’s willing to come off the bench he fills it. He can be a playmaking hub in the 2nd unit which would limit how much backcourt help we need.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:

This works though:

Paul/Payne
Booker/Lavert
Bridges/Johnson
Crowder/Johnson
McGee/Sabonis

I’d still give Sabonis 30 minutes, but I’d rather he anchor the 2nd unit. I’d mostly have him play all the minutes Paul is on the bench. I think his playmaking would help Payne a lot. I’d need more than just Sabonis coming back though to make it worth it. Hence Lavert. I don’t love Lavert, but he’s talented.

Still, I don’t think I’d do this in season. Not when we are 41-10 and have a great shot at the title. There’s a chance this completely throws us off. Sabonis strikes me as a guy that can produce when he’s featured, but might struggle as a role player.
Even if we traded for Sabonis without giving up Ayton it might throw us off! I would still probably do it, if we don't have to give up too much, since he would help with rebounding and playmaking.

But to trade Ayton for him would be utter insanity.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:08 am
Split T wrote:

This works though:

Paul/Payne
Booker/Lavert
Bridges/Johnson
Crowder/Johnson
McGee/Sabonis

Even if we traded for Sabonis without giving up Ayton it might throw us off! I would still probably do it, if we don't have to give up too much, since he would help with rebounding and playmaking.

But to trade Ayton for him would be utter insanity.
Ya it’d be a huge risk. I doubt its anything

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

That makes sense, he’d be great next to Luka and Zion(if he ever comes back)

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Zion having a long term play in the NBA is about as likely as me seeing Sasquatch or the loch Ness monster.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Sabonis, but if we trade Ayton for him, I will cry. Ayton is a huge part of why we got to the Finals last year, and as others have pointed out, Sabonis is not a good defender. I see the posts above saying that Sabonis would anchor our second unit, and I ask: do you really want to trade Ayton for a backup?? The only way I'd want to move on from Ayton would be if he has told our FO privately that he will not stay here long-term.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well I’m the one who mentioned him anchoring the 2nd unit, but I also said I wouldn’t trade Ayton for him unless we weren’t bringing him back. In that scenario I’d still prefer to wait and S&T Ayton in the summer.