2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:32 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 10:28 am
It's obvious that they don't think they can be trusted to make a good pick in the draft. They've decided to ridicule the draft, including getting the local media types to back that theory that the draft is a complete crap shoot, and they've punted on the whole process.
What’s insane is that we already tried that route, before the McDonough era, when Sarver would ridicule the draft and rebuilding. Then McDonough just drafted a collection of parts instead of building a team (although the Booker/Ayton/Bridges trio did start playing well together after he left). Then Jones comes in and focuses on building an actual team, but doesn’t like the draft very much. Then we have Ishbia come in and tear the team apart, with his philosophy of “team-building and draft be damned”!
Sarver made many mistakes. Then when he was talked into going the draft route, he hired one of the worst draft guys ever. Jones isn't and doesn't claim to be a draft guy. He is also a bad evaluator of talent. They really need someone that knows what they are doing in all aspects of how to build a franchise.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:45 am
JeremyG wrote:
In2ition wrote:
It's obvious that they don't think they can be trusted to make a good pick in the draft. They've decided to ridicule the draft, including getting the local media types to back that theory that the draft is a complete crap shoot, and they've punted on the whole process.
What’s insane is that we already tried that route, before the McDonough era, when Sarver would ridicule the draft and rebuilding. Then McDonough just drafted a collection of parts instead of building a team (although the Booker/Ayton/Bridges trio did start playing well together after he left). Then Jones comes in and focuses on building an actual team, but doesn’t like the draft very much. Then we have Ishbia come in and tear the team apart, with his philosophy of “team-building and draft be damned”!
I'm just glad to see that you've embraced the big fella on this team every time I see you post. :P
Yes, I’ve definitely embraced his 8 & 8 playoff averages with 46% FT shooting.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:00 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:45 am
JeremyG wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I'm just glad to see that you've embraced the big fella on this team every time I see you post. :P
Yes, I’ve definitely embraced his 8 & 8 playoff averages with 46% FT shooting.
You don't have to explain yourself.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lol
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:19 pm
It’s funny but I’m not really sure how this is Jones fault. Ishbia clearly came in and strong-armed our front office on that Durant deal. And now he’s going to strong arm the front office on selling our draft pick this year also. 3 coaches in 3 years has his finger prints all over it too.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

3 coaches in the last 363 days to be exact.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:10 am
I think Delon Wright will be high on our priority list this summer.
I think we'll also look at Spencer Dinwiddie and Russell Westbrook.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:24 am
Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 11:50 pm
The pg crew, are you wanting a starting pg? In place of Grayson? That just makes us so small. I still think Booker is fine at pg, but it would be nice to have a backup pg so he can move off ball at times and to have an option when Booker sits.
I just want Book to be able to be Book. I don't like him sacrificing for the good of the team. And then they all try to be too unselfish which becomes a negative.
I still think it is mindboggling. I get (to a certain extent) trying to make room for a superstar like Beal, but returning to a strategy that was used when this franchise was at its lowest while simultaneously playing your best player out of position is just clownish.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
All this "seventh grader" rhetoric makes me want to vomit. It makes them sound so clueless.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 8:04 am
Shabazz wrote:
Is Dinwiddie going to be one of those guys we all wanted for most of his career only to get him on the downside?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 11:15 am
INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Is Dinwiddie going to be one of those guys we all wanted for most of his career only to get him on the downside?
Well, that's the bargain bin they're shopping in now.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Dinwiddie i better than most of the bantha fodder we had on our bench this year. We probably can't even get him because he'd have to take a minimum contract.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think he is definitely attainable at the vet min. He wasn't good for the Lakers; I don't think he is going to have many suitors willing to give him more than the minimum.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Dinwiddie might be worth a punt but bringing Westbrook here just screams of desperation at this point in his career.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Who wants to see Bol back? Did we see enough potential this year to convince us he's worth another look. I'd probably say yes and I think it'd be interesting to see how Bud would utilise him.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 11:36 pm
Who wants to see Bol back? Did we see enough potential this year to convince us he's worth another look. I'd probably say yes and I think it'd be interesting to see how Bud would utilise him.
YES

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 8:07 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:24 am
Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 11:50 pm
The pg crew, are you wanting a starting pg? In place of Grayson? That just makes us so small. I still think Booker is fine at pg, but it would be nice to have a backup pg so he can move off ball at times and to have an option when Booker sits.
I just want Book to be able to be Book. I don't like him sacrificing for the good of the team. And then they all try to be too unselfish which becomes a negative.
I still think it is mindboggling. I get (to a certain extent) trying to make room for a superstar like Beal, but returning to a strategy that was used when this franchise was at its lowest while simultaneously playing your best player out of position is just clownish.
Rebounding, Rebounding, Rebounding, defense and a give a shit attitude is what we need.

I think the message is that the BIG 3 are going to be in the starting lineup. Coach Bud reportedly sold Ish on that idea. Coach Bud said he does not need a true point guard.

If that is the case then we need to move Greyson into the 6th man roll and add, someone to play alongside KD in the front court with a nasty attitude, athleticism, a rebounding and defensive menace.

I actually like the Idea of Westbrook, but I think he is going to want big minutes. Unless we move Beal, I do not know where they are going to come from.

A guy like Dinwiddie or Wright would be a welcome addition.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 11:36 pm
If he'll take the biggest offer we can make him, (minimum * 1.2), then absolutely we should keep him. He showed a lot of potential last year. I think Bud could get even more out of him.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

I was skeptical of Bol at first but saw a lot more potential and upside towards the latter part of the season.