Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:30 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:33 am
Eat a snickers bar, guys. It's OK to like the rookies and think that the team is moving in a positive direction. It's absolutely fair to project our young players based on what they have done previously in their careers.

Booker, Jackson, Ayton, Briges, Okobo, and Bender have all been getting better year by year. I expect them to continue improving and I expect all of them to be solid to great this year.

Warren, Harrison, Reed, Daniels are who they are and Igor should be able to figure out where they fit.

Ariza, Anderson, and Chandler know how to play but they are on the downside of their careers. I expect them to be a little worse than they were last year.

Holmes and Melton are question marks to me. I don't know much about them.
What have you seen from Jackson that shows he has been getting better every year? Same question with all of those guys, except Book.
Bridges and Okobo definitely have, just not in the NBA. Jackson made huge improvements from 2017 to 2018 last season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:41 am
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Eat a snickers bar, guys. It's OK to like the rookies and think that the team is moving in a positive direction. It's absolutely fair to project our young players based on what they have done previously in their careers.

Booker, Jackson, Ayton, Briges, Okobo, and Bender have all been getting better year by year. I expect them to continue improving and I expect all of them to be solid to great this year.

Warren, Harrison, Reed, Daniels are who they are and Igor should be able to figure out where they fit.

Ariza, Anderson, and Chandler know how to play but they are on the downside of their careers. I expect them to be a little worse than they were last year.

What have you seen from Jackson that shows he has been getting better every year? Same question with all of those guys, except Book.
Bridges and Okobo definitely have, just not in the NBA. Jackson made huge improvements from 2017 to 2018 last season.
That is fair to say you have seen them progress in NCAA or other leagues, but nearly every single guy that gets drafted has that story. Rarely do you see guys regress and then get drafted. So seeing that doesn't mean much, because the majority of guys don't pan out, and even more rarely become good NBA players on winning teams.

All of that said, I have high hopes for everyone on our team. The hopes are higher for the new guys because we don't know what we have yet, and therefore don't have a lot of personal viewing to see their faults. I just really hope we finally have a guy break out. We struck gold with Booker, but nearly every single other draft pick made over the last 10 years hasn't, even with 11 lotto picks since 2008 (yes, I know those includes ones we traded away).

Split T

Post by Split T »

I agree, doesn't make a lot of sense to talk about a rookie that's improved each year. However, Okobo and Bridges have improved more than the average prospect. Both weren't really NBA prospects and made quick and significant improvements the last year or two

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:21 pm
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

That is fair to say you have seen them progress in NCAA or other leagues, but nearly every single guy that gets drafted has that story. Rarely do you see guys regress and then get drafted. So seeing that doesn't mean much, because the majority of guys don't pan out, and even more rarely become good NBA players on winning teams.

All of that said, I have high hopes for everyone on our team. The hopes are higher for the new guys because we don't know what we have yet, and therefore don't have a lot of personal viewing to see their faults. I just really hope we finally have a guy break out. We struck gold with Booker, but nearly every single other draft pick made over the last 10 years hasn't, even with 11 lotto picks since 2008 (yes, I know those includes ones we traded away).
Many rookies are drafted based on athleticism or physical potential and the team that takes them hopes to teach them basketball. None of our rookies fit that bill. They all have good momentum.

Split answered about Bridges, Okobo, and Jackson. I'll add that Ayton previously had been just big and quick. He learned last season to keep his body in shape, to pass, to move on the perimeter, and to shoot from mid range. Obviously, Bender was significantly better in year 2.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

As for the above post

I think many don't expect much from Bridges besides becoming a 3 n D guy. I don't think it is written in stone that he is just going to be a spot up guy unable to create his own shot. So Re: improved every year, it is no secret that he has in that regard with his ability to get to the basket as a Senior and finish despite his stringy physique

Okobo's story about rapidly improving in his one year as PG is well documented but I expect more from Bridges this year

So that's my contribution to your question Indy :) As big of Josh fan as I am I can't say so yet, still think he will come good tho
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Man the Board is busy today
Four replies fore I even hit sent lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:47 pm
Man the Board is busy today
Four replies fore I even hit sent lol
September is usually the peak traffic month for this site. :)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:42 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:21 pm
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Many rookies are drafted based on athleticism or physical potential and the team that takes them hopes to teach them basketball. None of our rookies fit that bill. They all have good momentum.

Split answered about Bridges, Okobo, and Jackson. I'll add that Ayton previously had been just big and quick. He learned last season to keep his body in shape, to pass, to move on the perimeter, and to shoot from mid range. Obviously, Bender was significantly better in year 2.
:lol: :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Yeah, one summer league doesn't ruin all of Jackson's previous progress. Let's see how he starts out the year. Hopefully SL was an eye opener for him.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Appreciate the answers guys. I am still not one to say I would be my paycheck on anyone on this team being an all-star in the next 5 years outside Book.

Also, I forget where this was asked, but people were wondering how much JJ improved 2017 to 2018 on advanced metrics. I played with NBA.com/stats and found this:

273 guys played at least 15 mpg, and played in at least 50 games last year.

Of those guys, here is where JJ ranked for full year, then if his 2017 was his full year, and same for 2018

Code: Select all

----     Off Rtg     Def Rtg     Net Rtg
Full      269th       246th       267th
2017      270th       263rd       272nd
2018      267th       241st       263rd

FUll%      2%          10%         3%
2017%      2%           4%         1%
2018%      3%          12%         4%
So yes, he improved his defensive rating from have 96% of the league better than him, to 88% of the league better than him. The rest are basically flat. But he was getting a lot more time. For 2017 he played <22 mpg, and in 2018 >29 mpg.

I hope his summer league is meaningless, and he comes in with a huge impact on the defensive side of the ball, and he starts to hit some shots better than he did at any time last season. He also had one of the worst eFG% and TS% of anyone in the league (regardless of 2017 vs 2018 splits).

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Did we do anything with Melton? I didn't see any tweets and it's Thursday.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 am
I sure hope so. I already have his nickname. Melton "The Mouth". (Not in his hands.)

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:59 am
djy2j wrote:
I sure hope so. I already have his nickname. Melton "The Mouth". (Not in his hands.)
LOL. I was trying to think of nicknames for the guy. I was going to suggest "The Stapler."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

djy2j wrote:
All they had to do was tender a qualifying offer to him by today, which I’m sure they did as soon as they traded for him.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

pickle

Post by pickle »

I believe our cap situation is such that if we offer him a deal right now it can only be a two year. I imagine the front office is trying to unload some salary so that we could give him the Tyler Ulis type deal. I was really down on this trade at first. The more I read about it the more I'm coming around on it.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I don't think the Suns make this trade unless they believe Shaq Harrison is a better option for the starting pg than BK. That doesn't mean they aren't still shopping for a starting pg. Harrison is so intriguing for this team though.

1. When he was on the court last year for the Suns, he was a difference maker. He impacts the pg position like PJ Tucker impacts the forward position.
2. His defense and hustle are phenomenal.
3. He is a good passer, not great but good.
4. He is a top level athlete with speed and hops. He also has great size for a pg.
5. His motor is tops.

His problem is his shot. He shot in the low 20's from three last season. But don't look now, he shot 44% from three during summer league (he only put up 9 but still). If he can put up 35% or so from three when he is open, I do not see why he might not be our best option to start at pg--even among many of the players we are talking about trading for.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do like Harrison. But I have a tough time with any perimeter player who cannot shoot well. I hope he's working on it. If his shot improves, he could be a real asset. All the qualities #1-5 you listed are good ones. It's also nice to have size at the PG position (he's 6'4").

For what it's worth, here are Harrison's stats:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ish01.html

Here are Canaan's:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ais01.html

Here's the now departed Tyler Ulis:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... sty01.html

I must be the only one who really liked Ulis as backup PG. I loved his passing; he averaged 4.4 assists/game in 23 minutes, and the eye test showed he had a great feel for finding the open player and running an offense. And he had great chemistry with Booker, Sauce, and others. But I guess his size, shooting, and defense just weren't there. Pity.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:28 am
I don't think the Suns make this trade unless they believe Shaq Harrison is a better option for the starting pg than BK. That doesn't mean they aren't still shopping for a starting pg. Harrison is so intriguing for this team though.

1. When he was on the court last year for the Suns, he was a difference maker. He impacts the pg position like PJ Tucker impacts the forward position.
2. His defense and hustle are phenomenal.
3. He is a good passer, not great but good.
4. He is a top level athlete with speed and hops. He also has great size for a pg.
5. His motor is tops.

His problem is his shot. He shot in the low 20's from three last season. But don't look now, he shot 44% from three during summer league (he only put up 9 but still). If he can put up 35% or so from three when he is open, I do not see why he might not be our best option to start at pg--even among many of the players we are talking about trading for.
You forgot:

6. He has movie star looks.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Harrison is fine in a lineup with shooters, I'd worry about him in a lineup with Jackson and Warren. If we start Harrison/Booker/Ariza/Anderson/Ayton, I think that can work..

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

What about Brogdon? Nobody is talking about going after him for our starting PG. Is he worth giving the Bucks their 1st round pick back?

"Be Legendary."