Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by ShelC »

Not sure I follow? You're saying if Book wants out we should trade Ayton and start over? Or we should try and appease Book by trading Ayton if that's what it'd take to keep him happy?

I don't think you trade Ayton if Book wants out, but I wouldn't automatically bump him up to franchise, #1 cornerstone. At the very least he's a building block that you put players around but I still think he's more of a high end #2. Question is, can you find/trade for that #1.

If Book says "I don't think Ayton is serious/good enough to win with" then maybe you put some feelers out to see what can be done but don't take a bad deal or make a move just to make a move.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 am
Not sure I follow? You're saying if Book wants out we should trade Ayton and start over? Or we should try and appease Book by trading Ayton if that's what it'd take to keep him happy?

I don't think you trade Ayton if Book wants out, but I wouldn't automatically bump him up to franchise, #1 cornerstone. At the very least he's a building block that you put players around but I still think he's more of a high end #2. Question is, can you find/trade for that #1.

If Book says "I don't think Ayton is serious/good enough to win with" then maybe you put some feelers out to see what can be done but don't take a bad deal or make a move just to make a move.
That's what I'm talking about. I can really only imagine this in a world where KAT is available, to be honest. I wouldn't think that Booker would be happy with the Suns trading Ayton for 30 cents on the dollar, but the general scenario still has a non-zero possibility to me.

Eventually he'd want out or force the Suns to make a below market deal. What would the Suns do?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I would hope Jones and Monty have enough experience/credibility to sit and work with Book rather than just bend over.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thank you, Chris Sheridan!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ha, I think I put about as much stock in Sheridan's info as I do Russillo's.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

RIP Eddie Johnson... 65... died in prison. No, not our Eddie Johnson. But he was a former NBA player.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wasn't that the "Fast Eddie" Johnson that was sentenced for sexual assault on a minor and burglary?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:28 am
Wasn't that the "Fast Eddie" Johnson that was sentenced for sexual assault on a minor and burglary?
One and the same. Didn't remember the sentence infractions though.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Frank Johnson's older brother.

He was serving a life sentence for "sexual battery of a minor, lewd and lascivious molestation of a minor, and trespassing for the sexual assault of an 8-year-old girl in her home"
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:32 am
Ha, I think I put about as much stock in Sheridan's info as I do Russillo's.
Eh, I think Sheridan is fairly reputable. He called LeBron leaving the Cavs over a year in advance and has been fairly accurate in his reporting over the years. I'd trust him over Russillo any day.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Outside of Doncic, Ayton was the best pick and likely was Book’s preference. Whether he had much say in the pick or not, I bet there is some ownership that Book has over Ayton being on the roster. Not that I know any NBA players or staff but I do know a handful of former semi pros and college coaches who all had their safe money on Ayton.
I do wonder whether he is liked in the locker room. I hope so. But he gives off Dwight Howard vibes and slight immaturity.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I haven’t heard anything from any source that talks about chemistry issues between Ayton and any of his teammates. I thought the chemistry displayed in those final 8 games was off the charts. I think we have too much time to dissect the team in the off season and we start to make up things that aren’t there just for something to talk about.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think there are "chemistry" issues but I wouldn't be surprised if some were frustrated with some of his antics. It's one thing to be Shaq-goofy when you're Shaq. It's another thing when you're getting suspended for 25 games at the start of the season or putting up 8 and 6 against 2nd and 3rd stringers in Orlando.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, Ayton has had two years to be a young guy getting his feet wet in the nba. I don’t mind if he wants to be a little goofy, but it’s time he is all in on the court. He can’t let that goofiness impact his play. The failed drug tests and missing Covid tests type stuff needs to be out of his system.

I think he’s a likable guy, so I doubt there are chemistry issues, but I’d say just about everyone on our team looked better in the bubble...except DA. This team is trying to take that big step forward, if DA isn’t taking it with them, that’s a problem. I’m expecting big things from him, and if he doesn’t deliver, it might be time to start looking to move him.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Rumor that CP3 is heading to the Suns in a trade. Hard to figure out how: only contracts Suns have that are movable are Oubre and Rubio's, which only total $32m (vice CP3's $41m).

Booker's not moving. Neither is Ayton. Maybe Saric as a 3rd piece?

Doesn't sound much like Jones though. CP3 is 35, and Jones likes guys entering their prime in trades (25-28).

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wormwood wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:23 pm

Rumor that CP3 is heading to the Suns in a trade. Hard to figure out how: only contracts Suns have that are movable are Oubre and Rubio's, which only total $32m (vice CP3's $41m).
I think we have enough cap room to make up the difference. Might need to let Baynes and Saric go.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Okay. *How this crazy ass idea?

OKC: Rubio( :cry: ), 10th pick

GSW: Oubre, ‘21 heat first round pick, Suns ‘21 first round pick (1-10 protected but turns into a pair 2nd rounder if they don’t convey)

Suns: Chris Paul, Marquese Chriss, 2nd overall pick.

*I have no idea if this trade works or not. :D

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wally_West wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:55 pm
Okay. *How this crazy ass idea?

OKC: Rubio( :cry: ), 10th pick

GSW: Oubre, ‘21 heat first round pick, Suns ‘21 first round pick (1-10 protected but turns into a pair 2nd rounder if they don’t convey)

Suns: Chris Paul, Marquese Chriss, 2nd overall pick.

*I have no idea if this trade works or not. :D
Hmmm.....pass. I'd much rather just bring Oubre back, tbh.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:32 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:23 pm

I think we have enough cap room to make up the difference. Might need to let Baynes and Saric go.
Ya we can use cap space or pick up the Kaminsky option and include him in the deal if we want to operate as an over the cap team. That would allow us to also still sign someone for the mid level and keep the rights to Saric/Baynes/Carter.

If we’re trading for CP3, which I’m not in favor of, I think over the cap is the way to go. You then bring back Saric/Baynes/Carter/Payne. Draft either a pg or a wing and then use the MLE to fill the other hole. I’d prefer to draft the pg and sign the wing as I don’t think there are any PG’s worth signing under 10 million a year that are significantly better than Payne. So draft Kira and sign Joe Harris(best case) or Justin Holliday.

CP3/Payne/Kira
Booker/Carter
Bridges/Harris or Holliday
Johnson/Saric
Ayton/Baynes

It’s the bubble team only with CP3 replacing Rubio and adding a wing shooter and a rookie pg.