Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Post by ShelC »

Feels like there's a serious drop off in talent outside of the stars/Big 3 on some of these teams.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I had a bit of an argument with a friend on whether they should’ve made the harden trade. Nobody can predict injury but I probably prefer having some semblance of depth myself. LeVert and Allen sure could’ve helped today.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

pickle wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:18 am
I had a bit of an argument with a friend on whether they should’ve made the harden trade. Nobody can predict injury but I probably prefer having some semblance of depth myself. LeVert and Allen sure could’ve helped today.
The Nets are a cautionary tale in a way. Superstar-loaded team but no depth, mediocre defense, and then they D'Antoni'd themselves in the last 2 games, playing almost no bench players and playing their stars 50+ minutes. What do you know, the best clutch shooter in the league airballs a 3 with a little guard on him. Lot of people after this game are saying what a great player Durant is, and he IS a great player, but Giannis has the deeper and more balanced team, and he's the one who takes home the W here. Giannis had 40 and 10 himself, a rare feat in a Game 7 win.

But I don't know how good the Bucks should feel right now. They really stumbled in some major ways against the Nets, and some real weaknesses were exposed. I'd be worried about Giannis missing so many FTs and clearly being rattled when the fans taunted him. Nets also seemed to figure out how to use switching in their defense to limit the good looks Giannis could get. Bucks look a little clogged up offensively in crunch time of these last few games, where nothing seems to come easy for them, and they seem like you can get in their head and make them feel the pressure.

Back before the playoffs started, I picked the Bucks to go to the NBA Finals. I still think they're the most likely Eastern team to make it, but I feel less strongly about them than I did before. In particular, if we are lucky enough to get to the Finals ourselves, I think we can absolutely take the Bucks.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The bucks are lucky the Nets were down 2 stars. No chance they win this if even 1 of Kyrie or harden is healthy.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Durant is obviously a badazz. They rode that horse into the ground with foam coming out of his mouth while the bench did a great job of cheering him on from the sidelines. You get so much Monopoly money to spend on a team. The Nets bought Boardwalk, Park place and Pennsylvania Ave. and only had enough money left over for their bench to buy Baltic Ave. and Mediterranean Ave.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think the Bucks should feel good at all.

The Nets need to pick up still playable vets on minimum deals like the Heat were able to do. Blake looked good enough to bring back but he's not a starter. Same thing with Green. The Nets need guards tho. Bruce Brown, Mike James, Tyler Johnson won't cut it. Harris was awful but he'll be back. Didn't think Nash was doing anything special from the sidelines.

I think the Sixers are in the same boat - Embiid, Harris and Simmons with a bunch of 7-8-9th rotation guys being forced to step in as starters. Harris is really a 3rd star and Simmons is a zero on offense.

I really like the Hawks and think they could give us a serious run in a series. Great roster, Nate has them playing well even if they get a little sloppy at time. But they're the young, upstart, inexperienced team everyone expected us to be. Hope they win tonight.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Of the remaining teams in the East, I really do think the Hawks would be our toughest opponent if we make it past the Clippers to the Finals.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hmm, they’d give our defense the most trouble, but I think we’d get whatever we want on offense. The bucks are still the best team besides us left I think.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I'm still hoping for a Suns-Sixers Finals.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:06 am
Hmm, they’d give our defense the most trouble, but I think we’d get whatever we want on offense. The bucks are still the best team besides us left I think.
And we've got one of the few guys that can hang with Giannis in Ayton. Same for Embiid. At least slow them down a bit. The Ayton #1 pick is looking better and better.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:57 am
Split T wrote:
And we've got one of the few guys that can hang with Giannis in Ayton. Same for Embiid. At least slow them down a bit. The Ayton #1 pick is looking better and better.
Ya he’s done very well…this series will be a big test though. Clippers made Gobert pretty useless.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Ya he’s done very well…this series will be a big test though. Clippers made Gobert pretty useless.
Fortunately, Deandre Ayton is a better player than Rudy Gobert and will show the world in this series.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:23 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Fortunately, Deandre Ayton is a better player than Rudy Gobert and will show the world in this series.
Ayton continues to perform in these playoffs. You saw Gobert’s contract. Ayton is getting paid.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ayton is doing great.

As a general nba fan, I think that a Hawks Suns Final would be vert exciting to watch.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Suns are clearly good enough to beat any team left in the playoffs, but the clip in that tweet is why I want nothing to do with Atlanta.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I really can't stand Dwight Howard. He's the Patrick Beverley of big men at this point.

Just focus on him when he's in the game and you'll see all the non-basketball stuff he tries to pull against his opponents.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Trae gets the friendliest whistle in the league

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Philly would be the easiest finals opponent for us.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:14 pm
I think Philly would be the easiest finals opponent for us.
Absolutely. Doc Rivers can't seem to figure out how to coach in big games, Ben Simmons is a headcase at the moment, and their best offensive player besides Embiid (Curry) would probably be a sixth man on a usual contender.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Ben Simmons fucking sucks.