Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by ShelC »

He's a good fit on paper but has had health issues and Jones is big on chemistry and continuity. Any trade we approach is likely to include some combo of Dario, Cam Johnson and Stix plus picks.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Chicago doesn’t really want him back…I don’t think it would take a ton…no way cam would be in there. Jalen and a pick, then Saric for the contract.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:05 am
He's a good fit on paper but has had health issues and Jones is big on chemistry and continuity. Any trade we approach is likely to include some combo of Dario, Cam Johnson and Stix plus picks.
You'd trade Cam Johnson for him?

I know NOTHING about this guy.
Last edited by da_suns_fan on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am
Chicago doesn’t really want him back…I don’t think it would take a ton…no way cam would be in there. Jalen and a pick, then Saric for the contract.
To believe this is even a possibility, I'd have to believe theyre so high on Markkanen that they'd be willing to lose their salary flexibility with Smith and Saric even though theyre headed into luxury tax territory soon.

Theres no way.

One year deals. For everyone outside of their top 6-7.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Hmmmm
Don't remember seeing his name on FA lists

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This guy has been very accurate with his reports this off season so....

Split T

Post by Split T »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:46 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am
To believe this is even a possibility, I'd have to believe theyre so high on Markkanen that they'd be willing to lose their salary flexibility with Smith and Saric even though theyre headed into luxury tax territory soon.

Theres no way.

One year deals. For everyone outside of their top 6-7.
I don’t think Markkanen will get a ton of money, but maybe he will

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Good trade for the Bucks.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:39 am
ShelC wrote:

He's a legit 3 level scorer at 7ft, moves like a guard and would be a great fit next to DA, on paper. His value is probably down a bit but that doesn't mean Chicago will take a bad deal. Generally speaking, we just don't have a lot of attractive assets and contracts to move, so in my mind Cam Johnson is a piece that other teams will probably ask for in any trade. Dario is injured and Stix is unproven. Would I trade Cam Johnson? I'm really not sure. Markkanen could be a special scorer at the 4 spot with his skills and athleticism. But as others have mentioned, we'd then be on the hook to pay him which will be tricky with DA and Bridges getting extended.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:37 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:39 am
ShelC wrote:

He's a legit 3 level scorer at 7ft, moves like a guard and would be a great fit next to DA, on paper. His value is probably down a bit but that doesn't mean Chicago will take a bad deal. Generally speaking, we just don't have a lot of attractive assets and contracts to move, so in my mind Cam Johnson is a piece that other teams will probably ask for in any trade. Dario is injured and Stix is unproven. Would I trade Cam Johnson? I'm really not sure. Markkanen could be a special scorer at the 4 spot with his skills and athleticism. But as others have mentioned, we'd then be on the hook to pay him which will be tricky with DA and Bridges getting extended.
The Dario injury really hampered our offseason.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

FML

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

What the actual hell are we doing this off-season? Seriously. I’m not expecting splashes, but we can’t even get any solid additions? Seriously?

We went in to last year with two holes that everybody on this board could point out- a lack of real guard and center depth.

We’re heading into the next year with the exact same issue.

Don’t Javale Mcgee me.

You add Javale at the end of FA after you’ve used your MLE on a legit add (?Patty Mills?? Jamychal Green?? hello???)

What in the world are we doing? It’s like we’re not even trying to make solid adds.

Don’t Jalen Smith me. Having hope in Jalen Smith developing doesn’t have to exclude you from adding good depth to your team.

If DA is out or CP3/Book miss any time, we’re screwed.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It's just Sarver's cheapness coming through yet again. He's keeping the team together (at least until next summer...who knows what's happening with extensions for Ayton and Bridges), but he won't spend what it takes to actually improve the roster.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:35 pm
It's just Sarver's cheapness coming through yet again. He's keeping the team together (at least until next summer...who knows what's happening with extensions for Ayton and Bridges), but he won't spend what it takes to actually improve the roster.
No creativity, no stretching the limit. Completely content to stay under the tax under the guise of “continuity.”

You can keep continuity and still add complementary players that will help your team. Elfrid Payton adds nothing. Nader adds nothing. If these guys are needed getting PT next season we are in trouble.

Total waste of an opportunity to get better and build off an amazing year

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There’s a good chance we don’t have the MLE available to us next offseason, so it may have been our last chance for a while to add a player in that salary range. Instead, we used it on 1 season of Javale.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think we were ever in danger of exceeding the tax line this year…not after the Payne and Paul deals.

I don’t know that I’ve loved our offseason…what would you guys have done differently?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

In defense of the FO: This roster hasn’t much room for new role players. We had one slot available to upgrade the PF slot whether starting or off the bench. I dunno who they could have grabbed other than Milsap- which isn’t much IMO. I’d rather they let Cam Johnson and Mcgee run the floor than watch an aging 4 score on one end but lose his man on the other.

While I wanted patty Mills too, it’s no stretch to think that there’s no desirable role for him other than 12 mpg playing behind Cam Payne. Nobody wants that shit.
Last edited by Drewsprocket on Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:03 pm
I don’t think we were ever in danger of exceeding the tax line this year…not after the Payne and Paul deals.

I don’t know that I’ve loved our offseason…what would you guys have done differently?
Based on what I've seen, I would have done the same with CP3 and Cam (that contract is GREAT), then given the full MLE to Theis, used the BAE on McGee. I am not sure how to fix the lack of ability to get to the rim. That is the most expensive piece we are missing, and that seems to go for more than MLE-type money.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I would have taken a risk at Winslow
I get the shooting concerns but he's a very good swiss army knife type and plays strong on boards and D

If that works out, just someone else they can throw at Book to make him work hard so not ideal

To be continued...

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Interesting