The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:56 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:53 pm
I don’t see how we could trade for Young.

I guess Saric and Johnson works salary wise, but do we like that?
Saric/Smith/Pick
Why does Chicago do that? Our picks aren’t worth much, and neither is Saric or Smith.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:56 pm
Cap wrote:

I guess Saric and Johnson works salary wise, but do we like that?
Saric/Smith/Pick
Why does Chicago do that? Our picks aren’t worth much, and neither is Saric or Smith.
He’s on the Spurs now…but I’m not sure..Spurs would need to like Jalen. Don’t think I’d want to move Cam for Thad

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:26 am
Feels like KLove is going to be a name to watch but just not sure how much he has left. Skills-wise he's perfect to play next to DA or play the 5. He may actually prefer a more limited role at this point. Thad would be ideal tho.

If Thad is bought out, would we be able to use the rest of the MLE to get him to sign with us over another team?
According to Colangelo, he's unmotivated to get into shape and play well. If he can't do it for his country, what makes us think he'll do it for the Suns?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:

I guess Saric and Johnson works salary-wise, but do we like that?
No. We don't like anything involving Johnson. Right, BG?

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:17 pm
Kevin Love would be a perfect replacement for Dario, can pretty much do everything Dario did, but hopefully a little better. If he’s bought out, he could be a great bargain for a 1 year replacement. He’ll also look great doing it and will increase his own value.
Love is still under contract for 2 years, $60 million. I don't know that he will be bought out unless he's willing to give most of that up.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:24 am
MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:17 pm
Kevin Love would be a perfect replacement for Dario, can pretty much do everything Dario did, but hopefully a little better. If he’s bought out, he could be a great bargain for a 1 year replacement. He’ll also look great doing it and will increase his own value.
Love is still under contract for 2 years, $60 million. I don't know that he will be bought out unless he's willing to give most of that up.
He won’t have to give much up. I’m sure Cleveland would buy him out if he gave up 10-15 million.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Another good article here discussing Thad and KLove. If Love were to get bought out, we could offer up the rest of the MLE.

A trade for Young’s $14.2 mil salary would likely take sending back at least Dario Saric ($8.5 mil) and Jalen Smith ($4.46 mil) for salary matching purposes. Young (33 yrs old) has just one year left on his current contract and could be just a one-year rental so I don’t see the Suns giving up a lot for him but he would be a good veteran pickup.

If Love (also 33) gets bought out, the Suns can offer anything up to the $4.5 mil leftover from their MLE. Love has a connection with Suns GM James Jones from their days as teammates in Cleveland so don’t be surprised if Love were to choose Phoenix over other suitors if he is bought out. In 2016, he called Jones “the best teammate I’ve ever had” in an Instagram post. He’s had injury problems over the past few years to be sure but with a smaller role (and fewer minutes) off the bench he could still be a great addition for the Suns.

It also seems that the signing of Elfrid Payton is not a done deal yet. The word was that Payton was offered a one-year, minimum-salary but there is so far no word on whether Payton has agreed to take it or not. Having started 63 games for the Knicks last season, Payton may be reluctant to take a minimum offer to be a 3rd string PG and still hoping for a better offer to come along before committing to this deal with Phoenix.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would expect us to sign Love if he gets bought out

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Was curious about the Elfrid signing and the fact that the report is "Yet to accept minimum offer"
It seems kinda obvious he doesn't want to take that demotion to potential 3rd string which will not be On Brand for the Fellas as we have a room full of team guys 8-) :)

In all seriousness, as discussed by others
Most guys looking to sign to a team with minutes available which is to be expected
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hard to go from starting PG on a playoff team to 3rd string PG on a min deal.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I really think Cam Johnson will come back from the off-season a little thicker and stronger. He seems like a guy that knows what he needs to do and works at it. He needs to be stronger if he is going to play PF on a consistent basis. If he can do that he could he the answer at PF going forward.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:30 am
I really think Cam Johnson will come back from the off-season a little thicker and stronger. He seems like a guy that knows what he needs to do and works at it. He needs to be stronger if he is going to play PF on a consistent basis. If he can do that he could he the answer at PF going forward.
I hope so, but training camp starts in like 50 days, and preseason in under 60. Not a lot of time to bulk up for a 25 year old.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:46 am
SunsRIt wrote:
I hope so, but training camp starts in like 50 days, and preseason in under 60. Not a lot of time to bulk up for a 25 year old.
I started bulking up at about 25 years of age but not in a good way. ;) I used to be super skinny and that's about the age my metabolism started slowing down.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:50 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:46 am
SunsRIt wrote:
I started bulking up at about 25 years of age but not in a good way. ;) I used to be super skinny and that's about the age my metabolism started slowing down.
lol I hear you

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Hopefully Elfrid recognizes this as a sign that he's one step away from playing in Guangzhou and puts all his focus into defending. He'd be a great asset for the roster if he adopted Javon Carter's mentality.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Frank is official now.

Last edited by Indy on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

We only have one roster spot left. The Payton signing is whatever, but I really think the Kaminsky signing was completely uninspired.

This is where the cheapness complaints are coming from. We had the MLE, BAE and probably a DPE at our disposal and we went the route of using half the MLE, signing 2 minimum guys, eschewing the draft and will let 1.5-2.5 of the exceptions go unused.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:59 pm
We only have one roster spot left. The Payton signing is whatever, but I really think the Kaminsky signing was completely uninspired.

This is where the cheapness complaints are coming from. We had the MLE, BAE and probably a DPE at our disposal and we went the route of using half the MLE, signing 2 minimum guys, eschewing the draft and will let 1.5-2.5 of the exceptions go unused.
Isn't that par for the course since, well, ever? And with a salary bill next year in the ~140M range, and us being a Finals team this year, it is a really hard argument for Jones to make to Sarver that the 3rd string whatever or even 2nd string whatever, is critical to our success and he needs to spend more.

(I can see all of this hurting us again like it did in the 7SOL days when we did stuff like not draft Rondo or Iggy or trade KT AND 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS to salary dump)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:06 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Isn't that par for the course since, well, ever? And with a salary bill next year in the ~140M range, and us being a Finals team this year, it is a really hard argument for Jones to make to Sarver that the 3rd string whatever or even 2nd string whatever, is critical to our success and he needs to spend more.

(I can see all of this hurting us again like it did in the 7SOL days when we did stuff like not draft Rondo or Iggy or trade KT AND 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS to salary dump)
It’s a pretty easy argument to make, actually. Part of the reason we lost the finals is because Dario went down and our 3rd string options were unplayable (Frank’s game 6 notwithstanding).