2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:59 am
Why would the Suns go after Beal? Book, KD, Beal would eat up almost the whole salary cap.

So...could be Washington using Phoenix to get more out of Miami? I don't think they'd balk at trading him to an EC rival because they're not competitors at this point. Beal's salary is a major turn off and we'd be that much more pressed to find serviceable role players. Washington would get salary relief sooner with CP and say, Shamet, and their non-guaranteed deals next year. Ship off DA to give them a young center to build around?

Miami has better pieces to mix and match if Washington wants some combo of Lowry, Robinson, Herro, Martin and Dipo.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

We’d have our big three but can Book and Beal coexist?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think it's a matter of them co-existing, it's whether or not we want to see Ish Wainright playing 35mpg as our starting PF and 3 summer leaguers coming off the bench.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Beal's agent is the father of our CEO. Reports suggesting that may help swing it in our favour.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:43 am
I don't think it's a matter of them co-existing, it's whether or not we want to see Ish Wainright playing 35mpg as our starting PF and 3 summer leaguers coming off the bench.
Can you honestly imagine 35mpg of Ish? :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you saying Beal would be coming off the bench?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Are you saying that you couldn't find vet min guys like Okogie or Yuta, you won't get a chance to sign MLE or BAE players or that signing vet mins is not possible with that roster?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Beal and Booker can play in the backcourt sharing ballhandling duties along with KD. Don't need a true, ball dominant PG in that situation. Just need to avoid the ISO-centric offense where guys are standing around watching 1 guy trying to score.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:57 am
ShelC wrote:
Are you saying that you couldn't find vet min guys like Okogie or Yuta, you won't get a chance to sign MLE or BAE players or that signing vet mins is not possible with that roster?
That would be terrific if Suns could get Beal for Shamet and CP3. And I’d be all in on keeping Ayton too.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:24 pm
Obviously would need to be a sign and trade, he’d only count as 13 million going out from Washington’s perspective, so they could only acquire salary up to 20.5 million in return.
Are you sure that's how it works? (I know I struck out the last time I questioned you... ;) )
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Kryptonic wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:26 am
Maybe, just maybe our new owner is all about spending and deep pockets in order to get us that championship... Just nuts compared to what we came from.
The money isn't the issue; we don't have much of a team now, and trading for Beal would only make the problem worse. We'd just be collecting stars. I guess Ishbia really does look up to Joe Tsai.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:28 am
So...could be Washington using Phoenix to get more out of Miami? I don't think they'd balk at trading him to an EC rival because they're not competitors at this point. Beal's salary is a major turn off and we'd be that much more pressed to find serviceable role players. Washington would get salary relief sooner with CP and say, Shamet, and their non-guaranteed deals next year. Ship off DA to give them a young center to build around?

Miami has better pieces to mix and match if Washington wants some combo of Lowry, Robinson, Herro, Martin and Dipo.
I get that Beal can dictate where he goes, but I would be surprised if he screwed Washington like this. Miami's (potential) offer is a lot better than the Suns. I would think you're right that this is just Washington trying to create leverage in their negotiation with Miami.

Miami can combine picks with a package of Jovic/Herro/Martin. I don't think the Suns even get close to that in terms of what they have to offer. But maybe Michael Winger is in the same club that JeremyG is in.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:21 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:28 am

I get that Beal can dictate where he goes, but I would be surprised if he screwed Washington like this. Miami's (potential) offer is a lot better than the Suns. I would think you're right that this is just Washington trying to create leverage in their negotiation with Miami.

Miami can combine picks with a package of Jovic/Herro/Martin. I don't think the Suns even get close to that in terms of what they have to offer. But maybe Michael Winger is in the same club that JeremyG is in.

Yeah, it sounds as though Miami are reluctant to include Herro as part of the deal so this could indeed be a case of Washington using some interest from Phoenix to force their hand.

It's a curious move for us. I wouldn't be against it per se but I think we'd struggle to bring in decent role players to support the big 3 as others have said.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Miami is nuts if they expect Washington to make a deal without Herro included.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I wonder if Dario would come back for the minimum.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:30 pm
Miami is nuts if they expect Washington to make a deal without Herro included.
Agreed. Who'd have guessed the Wizards wouldn't be interested in a package of Jovic, Martin, a bag of Cheetos and a Harold Miner highlight reel?

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 pm
I wonder if Dario would come back for the minimum.
That'd be great

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:59 am
Why would the Suns go after Beal? Book, KD, Beal would eat up almost the whole salary cap.

We’re already over the cap. It keeps you from using the MLE, but do you want MLE or Beal?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Feels like a leverage rumor. I don't believe the Suns involvement if it requires more than Ayton/Paul.

I think Beal wants to be in Miami.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:13 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:24 pm
Obviously would need to be a sign and trade, he’d only count as 13 million going out from Washington’s perspective, so they could only acquire salary up to 20.5 million in return.
Are you sure that's how it works? (I know I struck out the last time I questioned you... ;) )
Ya…here it is from the cbafaq…but it could be changed a bit with the new cba.

If a team re-signs its Larry Bird or Early Bird free agent in order to trade the player in a sign-and-trade transaction, the player's new salary is greater than the minimum, he receives a raise greater than 20%, and the team is at or above the cap immediately after the signing1, then the player's outgoing salary for trade purposes is either his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater. The team receiving the player always uses his new salary.